986 Fuel in Radiator Question

On 2/23/2021 at 8:41 PM, dale560 said:

It is unlikely to happen but yes a dt engine can get fuel into rad. I have had a few caseih rebuilt injectors leak out the side middle of inj body. Usually fuel leaks up out of top rubber seal. But you could have an injector stuck in a sleeve , seized and rusted in a corroded injector sleeve with a leaking injector it will put the fuel into antifreeze. It isn’t common but can happen. now let all the experts say this can’t happen.

That's like saying something will never happen?

Never is a long time!

Most problems are over thought as most fixes are rather simple, once found.

Then you get kicked in the butt by something like this.

It is not a common problem.

You could take a sample and have it analyzed.

Then you would know where to look for the problem, if there is one.

So now you have to buy the tractor, fix it and report your findings.

Explain that theory to the wife?

• Like 2
17 hours ago, hagan said:

Had a boy from a John Deere family working for me one time and he was going to mow weeds with the farmall M and darned if he didn't top off the radiator with gasoline

Didn't they sometimes use kerosene as coolant in the winter before antifreeze became common?

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

That's like saying something will never happen?

Never is a long time!

Most problems are over thought as most fixes are rather simple, once found.

Then you get kicked in the butt by something like this.

It is not a common problem.

You could take a sample and have it analyzed.

Then you would know where to look for the problem, if there is one.

So now you have to buy the tractor, fix it and report your findings.

Explain that theory to the wife?

I put unlikely in there because yes I have seen it happen once. . The injector was leaking stuck into tube bad. Tube was corroded from inside and outside and rusted in  solid the fuel was seeping up through the top finally. I have seen a bunch of caseih reman inj start leaking out side of body and spill out top of inj seal

10 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Didn't they sometimes use kerosene as coolant in the winter before antifreeze became common?

Yes, several H & M owners did that around here back in the day

On 2/23/2021 at 6:28 PM, Siefring Red Farmer said:

I"m looking at a 986 at an auction.  4900 hours.  Most things look pretty clean on the tractor.  The hitch hole is still very round yet.  But one thing.  When I checked the radiator, it had fuel floating in it.  Is that a common failure?  Where would that come from?  Or, did someone screw up and add fuel thinking they were topping off the fuel tank?

Good luck today. Hard telling what it's going to bring. Got a feeling won't be any bargains since everything has had good care looking at the pictures

On 2/27/2021 at 5:57 AM, 856 Custom said:

Good luck today. Hard telling what it's going to bring. Got a feeling won't be any bargains since everything has had good care looking at the pictures

$15500  I stopped at $14000.  966 went for$11200

About what I thought that 986 would bring. Can't say I'd have given 11,200 for a 966, but that's just me. What did the New Holland 185 spreader bring? That looked sharp in the pictures.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:03 AM, 856 Custom said:

About what I thought that 986 would bring. Can't say I'd have given 11,200 for a 966, but that's just me. What did the New Holland 185 spreader bring? That looked sharp in the pictures.

The spreader was supposedly only used to haul sawdust and corn cobs.  The final bid ended just short of $15,000.