Difference in park pawl

25 minutes ago, jd4440 said:

How do you tell the difference in park pawls between the early, late 5X88, and the magnums.

I have 2,  but no part numbers on them. Thanks

I have a 5288 and the part number IS on the pawl. Without part number, I don't know how you would tell the difference. I just went through a deal with the differences between the gears.

Any chance you have a salvage yard nearby? Maybe they have each of them and maybe they have the part numbers one them and maybe you can determine what you have. That's a lot of maybe's but it's possible. 

55 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

Any chance you have a salvage yard nearby? Maybe they have each of them and maybe they have the part numbers one them and maybe you can determine what you have. That's a lot of maybe's but it's possible. 

I talked to the salvage yard here, and they don't have a good one but are looking for one they had that was bad, didn't call back yet

On the boxcar Magnum there was multiple ones used. ANY high speed euro ones used a different park paw, park paw cover and constant mesh gear was bigger ( causing the paw and cover needing to be different) 

This is a as a  rule statement.  The new s/n paws were not stamped the old was.  I go by the park lock gear part number.  120586c1 is old style.  1277036c1 is the new gear.  Buy park locks by gear number then u can never miss match.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, 88seriesrestorer said:

Buy park locks by gear number then u can never miss match

Thanks for the reply

Can you get the number off the gear from the side, or does it have to be split?

What is the difference in the gears?

I searched for info on this topic and couldn't find much

Thanks

1 hour ago, jd4440 said:

Thanks for the reply

Can you get the number off the gear from the side, or does it have to be split?

What is the difference in the gears?

I searched for info on this topic and couldn't find much

Thanks

The number is stamped on the front of gear.  Ther is a degree difference in the teeth.  If you buy a new paw be sure to grind the button off between the two teeth.  If you dont park will not hold.  

Mike