I just broke the third (I think) spring on my TD-14 starter.  I went through all of my paperwork & don't have a receipt or invoice to follow.  Can somebody get me started on where to look or call for another one?  Thanks!  Here's a shot of how I got it out the last time.  That's easier than seeing how many times I can pinch my hands.

Vic

250.JPG

koo or some one posted of this issue...search

and just being in the starter shop today he said good luck it ALL s^%&*

inferior steel, poor qc in mm when it should be in.,half a$%^& all around

40% failure of EVERYTHING if it ever ships!

drink... buy new every two

Can’t help but think there are other problems here to go through that many springs? Does it have a mag? Believe TD14 still had option to hand crank and  can’t see that at all being possible without an impulse on the mag, don’t know if you can check that, not sure if the mag was designed or capable of retarding itself for easier starting? Maybe not required seeing as the gas cycle was so short...

I have sent an email to Cooper Bros Electric, 70 yr old business that used to be good at finding this old stuff but the spring is 37701 and obsolete, let you know what I find

I can get the drive unit to include the spring but need to know the number of teeth on the gear.  Is it 12 or 13?  With this info, HEI in Oregon can fix me up.  Also, Steiner Tractor is wanting a seven digit part number.  I cannot find the starter or its breakdown in my TC-25-B parts catalog.

Vic

My TD-14A is started by a single 12 volt battery that has had to crank the engine successively for an hour every other day because of a weak coil in the mag. (I fixed that by putting a coil from an old truck on the frame and making a distributor out of the mag.  Starts very easily now!)  And many 14's with dozer blades on them had a front mount hydraulic pump that makes cranking impossible. 

I’m just saying something must be off to break that many springs or the springs are either crappy reproduction or used and gave up some of their lifespan, this isn’t normal?

Anyway I looked in my parts book TD18-20 and the spring is the same part number, I should have a spare starter off a 142 that I can count the teeth on tomorrow if I can find it, hopefully they were same as 14? If you have the parts book starter details should be near end of electrical section.

Vic you have a spare running or you waist deep in snow?

...A question, Lance

...is it possible for a good spring maker to replicate that bendix   spring  ???'

.....I ask because  all these old TD's   seem to eat Bendix springs......

last year  I had a spring maker make a bunch of springs for  a chisel plough...An Australian made  chisel plough , that had been shoved in the hedgerow because of all the broken springs....The new ones  worked a treat...no issues at all

What do you reckon ???!!!   worth a try ???

Mike

• Like 1

As I posted in another thread. Dad used fix tons of starters in his day for neighbors and himself. We always kept any starter from old stuff to be scavenged for usable parts. He had about 50 used or new springs on inventory all the time. The last years (late 90s) springs were getting hard to find but he could get new style drives for ihc ms or Jd two cyl. He also had other newer starters he was putting on some of the IHC stuff to update them. He used to fix a few td9 starters also. I know the crawlers are backwards starter from Tractor if I remember. Most of the time we just counted tooth number and matched a starter from a newer tractor for them.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, hardtail said:

I’m just saying something must be off to break that many springs or the springs are either crappy reproduction or used and gave up some of their lifespan, this isn’t normal?

Anyway I looked in my parts book TD18-20 and the spring is the same part number, I should have a spare starter off a 142 that I can count the teeth on tomorrow if I can find it, hopefully they were same as 14? If you have the parts book starter details should be near end of electrical section.

Vic you have a spare running or you waist deep in snow?

I have the TD-14A that is super reliable.  I just have to watch that I don't throw a track, as that system is pretty well worn.  I pulled the starter yesterday and it has 13 teeth.  It turns out that the spring is not broken, just stretched.  The problem was that one screw came out.  I'd thrown the locking tabs away years ago & replaced them with lock washers.  This time I'll use locktite.  What I do need is a screw.  I'm waiting on a spring but don't know if it's the right size.

298.JPG

• Like 1