Parts Washer Fluid ?

What do you use in your parts washer for cleaning fluid in your shop ????   Pros / Cons ???

We get a solvent from Napa in 5 gallon cans . Put 2 new in the parts washer after cleaning it out approximately once a year. I will try to look at a can tomorrow and get the parts # 

• Like 1

A little off topic but i read an article somewhere about installing a filter base inline on the discharge side of the pump. Article said he would install his used oil filters inline and simply throw them are when the choked up. Sounded like a cheap way to keep your fluid coming in filtered to me. Yes i use the stoddard solvent also.

Diesel fuel here.  At work we use stuff called Ozzy juice in a CRC heated and filtered parts washer. That stuff will clean a carburetor like nothing else. Also, you never change it, just add more as it evaporates. It also doesn't dry your skin out or have any bad environmental effects. But it's expensive, was about 1700 for the initial setup and 150 for 5 gallons of the juice. Best parts washer I've ever been around.

11 hours ago, bitty said:

We get a solvent from Napa in 5 gallon cans . Put 2 new in the parts washer after cleaning it out approximately once a year. I will try to look at a can tomorrow and get the parts # 

IMG_20210223_085621526.jpg

6 hours ago, bitty said:

IMG_20210223_085621526.jpg

Can you still get that stuff?  Used to get Kensol 30 off our NAPA for bout 50 bucks a bucket......guess no more.  

Last stuff I got  was CRC brand solvent.  Good stuff, hardly any odor but $$$.  100$ a bucket on sale b.c at Advance.  

Big push going on for aqueous fluid which we all know is a  complete joke.  

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Can you still get that stuff?  Used to get Kensol 30 off our NAPA for bout 50 bucks a bucket......guess no more.  

Last stuff I got  was CRC brand solvent.  Good stuff, hardly any odor but $$$.  100$ a bucket on sale b.c at Advance.  

Got this last year

Buy about 2 (55 gal) drums a year of mineral spirits. Have a "dirty" washer that we knock the worst off with then on to a spray cabinet that we run everything thru for final rinse. Blow everything dry before using. 

I detest dirty / oily parts.............

Local service station when I was a kid used gasoline in his parts washer. As a kid really didn't think nothing of it. Looking back that was crazy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

We get something called Kensol in 55 gallons drums from our oil supplier.  Used to be brad penn now it’s da lubricants.  It is way cheaper than the stuff we used to use from zep.   I think they said we could get it in 5 gallons buckets also

Paint thinner/mineral spirits.  What Lowes sells for kerosene actually works well but is expensive and flammable.

I have also used what is currently sold for diesel fuel, cheapest general de-greaser available.

Be careful whatever you use!

I like the PB Blaster solvent PWS in the 5 gal pail(140* flash), but for my final filtered rinse I prefer the generic black pail of mineral spirits (104* flash) solvent, it dries much faster, and cleaner. The PWS is a higher flash point of 140 so works great in my recycling parts washer that cleans the solvent. Don't want to use 104 flash point solvent in that machine. 

On 2/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, Cdfarabaugh said:

This is the parts washer we have at work. https://www.crcindustries.com/smartwasher/  and the Ozzyjuice that goes into it. We use SW-7 https://chemfree.com/portfolio-items/compare-ozzyjuice/  It is water based and anything but a joke. Initial cost is a deterrent, but if you pay some company like safety kleen to service your washer, you can save money in the long run. Washer is about $2000 now and 5 gal pails are $150. Washer is heated and filtered and you never change the juice. Just add back what evaporates. For us, that works out to around 5 gallons every 4 months or so.