Just what my little town needed

12 minutes ago, MTO said:

And I`ve heard O~Reillys will hire you as long as you have a pulse....... sigh.

The OReillys close to has very weak hiring standards ,I have been told you do not need to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time and can still make $12.50 per hour, I guess you get what you pay for?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont use them, our local Napa is locally owned, same guys in there for the last 30 years. Ive had issues with some Napa stuff but the service brings me back

Napa one direction 15 miles is great. Napa the other direction 15 miles is horrible. Different owners. Got a Carquest in town that is locally owned and doesn’t do too bad. It was formally locally owne

I’m the same as Seth, use a locally owed napa. Grew up with the guys that own it now and knew their father since I can remember. Don’t go to the chain store unless I need something immediately and NAP

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Craig61019 said:

The OReillys close to has very weak hiring standards ,I have been told you do not need to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time and can still make $12.50 per hour, I guess you get what you pay for?

I was actually just digging on one of our esteemed RP members who works there.

He must be napping......:D

All chain stores here. Rock Auto unless I need it now. Too bad, used to be good service locally, they even had a machine shop and paint.

4 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Just recently got a belt tensioner for the wifes 09 RAV4 from rockauto when it didn't. NAPA $434, RA $125 for AC Delco branded.

AC Delco part on a Yota? 

it will never run right again.

Napa is all franchise owned as well and it's the only one in the entire valley I'm in so Im stuck with it, but only buy when it's a necessity as the next closest parts is 40 miles one way. Oil filters for a cummins 5.9 @ NAPA is over $16, but I can get a Hastings (fleet guard equivalent) for $6.80 40 miles away. Trade off, time & mileage or high prices, either way you pay. Plan ahead and accordingly & save some bucks.

The big box & conglomerates got it figured out and high prices are going to go higher, the covid lockdown BS saw to the elimination of even more small & mom & pop businesses, and even yet more competition. Since this BS started a year ago corporates have made record profits and are not afraid to stick it to us. Only way we can fight back is to quit planting & raising & drive the food prices equally high, Yeah I know, easy for you say! A vicious circle all engage in and no one is a winner. Secret - stay out of debt.....

Out my way we have them all in half mile of each other all on the edge of suburbia. 

Of the chains O'Reilly's is the newest so they seem to have better staff 

Autostoned says it all about that one

I used to like them in the 90's when I lived in AZ there were right around the corner 

Advanced not thrilled with that

Pep Boys not thrilled with that

The NAPA, the closest store I liked were out my way before all chain stores opened.

It is a one store owned operation with a machine shop all the other NAPAs in the area or owned by the same group not real happy with them,

This NAPA couldn't make it after all the chain stores opened so they moved into a almost "the hood" area.

I asked they owner why he moved he said he is now closer to the areas were the people are repairing their cars and they have to drive by his store to get to the chain stores.

So he gets more walk in business and he gets cheaper rent, most of the commercial customers get delivery so his location doesn't matter for that business.

Anyway I don't go there much now because it the farthest unless it is some thing NAPA only     

big box parts are every few miles here fighting for market ,most are independent (franchise) dont handle anything over 15 years or off road.

like cvs walgrens they will do a loss count divide territory and call closing 50% locations a win

just got back from the starter shop,18 months and he still hasnt received  good parts that passed a bench test.

orders take 90 days from ub^%*stan

90% of his suppliers are gone.

he stopped on vehicle service/install

regulator from slavina says  needs adjusted and assembled /tested

late models can NOT be repaired,chemical welded shut.

google has vacuumed ALL info so he has no manuals or parts lists,unless in house old stock.

also got into schools with PC history/ math

7 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Got a Carquest in town that is locally owned and doesn’t do too bad. It was formally locally owned mom/pop shop but got bought out.

About the same situation here its either them or Oreillys the major difference is the experience behind the counter at Carquest . Most mechanics are still using the Carquest. Oreillys is open longer and seven days a week so they get most of the unfortunate timing sales. I look up my own parts if I have to go to Oreillys

58 minutes ago, N S said:

Oil filters for a cummins 5.9 @ NAPA is over $16, but I can get a Hastings (fleet guard equivalent) for $6.80

Case IH used to be the cheapest source for that filter I wonder how it is now

We literally have an advance in O'Reilly's next door to each other. across the street we also have a CVS on one corner and a Walmart across the intersection on the other corner. I usually shop in Napa for non-automotive parts. I usually get batteries from advance because of how easy they are to exchange if they go bad.

We have one "major" BC outlet, lordco, over the years the owners bought up all the small stores and formed one entity, I remember when I first started out in the early 60s doing stuff for family and neighbors I would go to Sears buy all allstate goods, then when I was doing my own builds I went to a place in New Westminster called Northwest auto parts, there was a lady there who knew everything about everything, " ya need a carb for a 318? Sure. Ya want a cam for Z? Sure, but lordco did their thing and she retired, we have napa in town and I've been their a few times, but I've had good luck with the napa in Blaine wa. Instance? Vacuum pump for a 5.9 Jake, dodge 1200.00, cummins 1100.00, lordco 600.00, but next week, napa here 500.00 two days, napa blaine 435.00 tax in, next day, that includes exchange rate.

I refuse to use the internet, only brick and mortar, same reason as never using self checkout, (I'm too ducking stoopid)  not really, amazon or whoever has enough money and the peeps in the stores have to eat to.

Used to go solely to NAPA when we lived in the center of the state. Had a really good one. Have only set foot in the local ones maybe three or four times in the last 20 years. Service stinks and the dudes are always grumpy. Have a Great set of Arnold Motor stores that are locally owned and run, really like them. Was to the new Advanced in town once when they were the only place that had it and I was in a hurry, not real impressed. I am the kind who will pay more at a place where I feel welcome and my business is appreciated. However, even what used to be good stuff has really gone down hill. A lot of names we use to trust all say China and Mexico on the parts now. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

30 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Used to go solely to NAPA when we lived in the center of the state. Had a really good one. Have only set foot in the local ones maybe three or four times in the last 20 years. Service stinks and the dudes are always grumpy. Have a Great set of Arnold Motor stores that are locally owned and run, really like them. Was to the new Advanced in town once when they were the only place that had it and I was in a hurry, not real impressed. I am the kind who will pay more at a place where I feel welcome and my business is appreciated. However, even what used to be good stuff has really gone down hill. A lot of names we use to trust all say China and Mexico on the parts now. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Ya know what? I'll take mexico, my truck (ram) was built way down deep and it's been great, can't say the same for some stuff made in china that hasn't lasted a dang.

I have favored Advanced here just out of convienance.  

On a side note I used to work next to a very successful Advanced.  They had several drivers that would deliver parts to service places all around.  Not sure if Advanced is a franchise or not but that store was moving a huge amount of inventory due to the relationships they built.

We have an excellent carquest here it’s owned by an ex GM mechanic who was a truck mechanic before that. He bought it from the original owner who had it probably 50 years (Big A Auto Parts then). I have had a charge account there since I was in high school. They also do some machine work. I don’t go anywhere else or care if it’s cheaper elsewhere. 

14 hours ago, The New Number One said:

I was told by a contractor that builds for those types of businesses, the reason they add stores is, in order to survive, the chain stores have to have the write offs of

construction costs to offset their low profit margins from regular sales. Dunno' if he's right or wrong?  Maybe he's just another guy with an opinion? 

The number of stores opened is (or at least was) a factor in stock pricing and ratings.  More expansion and the stock goes up so the CEO gets a better bonus. 

A lot of the box stores here (the smaller ones) lease, that way it’s an operating expense instead.  Pier 1, sports authority, and Sam’s club all we’re doing that here and closed the stores, owners now have a large retail space with no tenant, and still owe premium property taxes, and building costs such as heat and maintenance. I think the pier 1 store has been empty for two years and has a 45k property tax bill.  Sports Authority has been closed for years and empty and it’s much larger

1 hour ago, AKwelder said:

The number of stores opened is (or at least was) a factor in stock pricing and ratings.  More expansion and the stock goes up so the CEO gets a better bonus. 

A lot of the box stores here (the smaller ones) lease, that way it’s an operating expense instead.  Pier 1, sports authority, and Sam’s club all we’re doing that here and closed the stores, owners now have a large retail space with no tenant, and still owe premium property taxes, and building costs such as heat and maintenance. I think the pier 1 store has been empty for two years and has a 45k property tax bill.  Sports Authority has been closed for years and empty and it’s much larger

I wonder if bass pro and cabelas rent, everytime I go there the staff outnumbers the peeps, whenever I go there I spend a few bucks but that won't carry them.

Have Oreiily's & Advaced Auto & Auto Zone and a NAPA all within 3/4 mile. Don't know how they make it.

11 hours ago, Dasnake said:

I wonder if bass pro and cabelas rent, everytime I go there the staff outnumbers the peeps, whenever I go there I spend a few bucks but that won't carry them.

part of their model

unless they are a 100% stand alone operation.

low rents big kick backs or up fronts/build out 50% as the site anchor DRAW

then can simply walk ,fight the balance owed and write it ALL off.

when we franchised,co would not let us "own" closest we got was 100% new rented building on 100% new rented mall.

had a  $0 service contract with fire stone.

owned building ,$500k rent "on the mall" store .always 20% fees to cover rent.

1 mile away on NEXT property,leased building, $300k rent.but they are 100% crooks.lucky to get out with running vehicle.

• Thanks 1

I love my local shop, same guy last 30 plus years. 30 years ago he had everything, because there were not that many “everythings” out there. These days, he can Get anything, in 12-24hr, but it might cost you 25-40% more than rock auto.  He’s a great guy, but if I’m planning a full brake job (4 rotors, e brake stuff, maybe a caliper or four).....I order from rock auto and save a good buck. I like the quality of their good grade stuff. And that they sell small parts separately. I just got caliper mounting pins and boots for my daughters civic, for $14.  Honda dealer wanted 70. Napa couldn’t get them.  I put it together with the old ones, slipped in the rock auto pins 36hr later, for $14. We are suppose to be getting an O’Reillys, when we do, I’m hoping they can replace rick auto for me and I’ll get to know the guys in there. 

23 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Ya know what? I'll take mexico, my truck (ram) was built way down deep and it's been great, can't say the same for some stuff made in china that hasn't lasted a dang.

Agree, will take Mexico every time over China.

• Like 1

A rather local parts distributor here had quite a few retail stores in our state.

Rumor has it that the owner became so paranoid of Biden taking all his money that he sold out to another chain parts corporation.

"Nice work Joe!"

Don't seem that any store can get a person that knows blinker fluid from sail boat fuel?

But they have an earring and that deer in the headlights look?