Just what my little town needed

Another chain parts store.

Now we have an Advance Auto Zone and a new Oriellys.

I dont buy from any of them.

We still have 3 locally owned stores I use. 

Its gonna be just like the Walmart takeover.

20210222_100444.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont use them, our local Napa is locally owned, same guys in there for the last 30 years. Ive had issues with some Napa stuff but the service brings me back

Napa one direction 15 miles is great. Napa the other direction 15 miles is horrible. Different owners. Got a Carquest in town that is locally owned and doesn’t do too bad. It was formally locally owne

I’m the same as Seth, use a locally owed napa. Grew up with the guys that own it now and knew their father since I can remember. Don’t go to the chain store unless I need something immediately and NAP

Posted Images

I was told by a contractor that builds for those types of businesses, the reason they add stores is, in order to survive, the chain stores have to have the write offs of

construction costs to offset their low profit margins from regular sales. Dunno' if he's right or wrong?  Maybe he's just another guy with an opinion? 

I dont use them, our local Napa is locally owned, same guys in there for the last 30 years. Ive had issues with some Napa stuff but the service brings me back

• Like 6

we dont have any locals left around here, all chains - only one we have is up home in a small town no one will build new in because of low profit margins. I truly believe some of them are like you say write offs for the BIG locations that make exceptional profits. 

The only time I use the chains are if I need something quickly and its not available online. I get 90% online these days to my door. Biggest trouble with that is warranty return items it takes a while for those to go thru and get something back. 

I buy from chains for lifetime WTY for pads/rotors/bearings/ball joints/ujoints so i get free replacements when they fail. 

Some manufacturers like MOOG have gone to non lifetime wty on items now days - For us guys that keep things forever they dont win on us. 

I’m the same as Seth, use a locally owed napa. Grew up with the guys that own it now and knew their father since I can remember. Don’t go to the chain store unless I need something immediately and NAPA isn’t open or doesn’t have it and they do. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, NY1468 said:

I’m the same as Seth, use a locally owed napa. Grew up with the guys that own it now and knew their father since I can remember. Don’t go to the chain store unless I need something immediately and NAPA isn’t open or doesn’t have it and they do. 

Mine is open 7 days, limited hours Sunday but you can plan around it. Almost always next day service for items not in stock and delivery Tuesday/Thursday, not bad considering its 40 minutes away if you dont hit traffic or lights.

• Like 1

Napa one direction 15 miles is great. Napa the other direction 15 miles is horrible. Different owners. Got a Carquest in town that is locally owned and doesn’t do too bad. It was formally locally owned mom/pop shop but got bought out. We had a saying about that guy “here at Sam Smith auto, where you can buy better but you can’t pay more”. 

• Haha 3

Had a locally run/owned parts store here for YEARS. I personally had a charge account with the guy starting back when I was 14/15. He'd been trying to sell out for years and finally got a buyer about two years ago. Would have kept shopping there but the new owner not too friendly and kept weird hours. O'Reilly's moved in and they get all my business now.

Local Napa here. Was a new owner in the mid 90's but he passed away suddenly and his nephew now has it . He has since bought up 4 other Napa locations, maybe more

Napa and oreily in town Napa is top notch any part for anything uses the book if needed will refer to other stores if they will have a better price.

Oreily is ok depending on the clerk of the day. 

O'reilly's here now too.

I will continue to do business with locally owned  parts store as I have done for last 30 years.

NAPA is second if needed.

Really don't need a third.

IMG_20210222_105842156.thumb.jpg.c165045c05624b33e93d6118b44eac8f.jpg

We have 4 here (used to be 5) within a mile of each other here.  Auto zone, advanced, federated and a napa.  Honestly though, unless shopping strictly by price Napa cant be beat.  Their regional warehouse is only a half hour away to get most non special order stuff the same day.  Good stock of filters, belts, electrical and other stuff often needed in a pinch.  

Not sure how the DIY and aftermarket auto parts business is gonna be in  the future.  Other than normal maintenance stuff, lots more OEM only (or parts I'd only want to use OEM cough cough Dorman) parts available now.  

We have a locally owned NAPA here as well as O'Reilly, AutoZone, and Advanced Auto. I find that the guys at  O'Reilly's are better at customer service as in actually taking the time to understand what you need. NAPA makes me feel like its a bother that I am there, and not one of their regular customers. 

1 hour ago, Redpower1256 said:

Had a locally run/owned parts store here for YEARS. I personally had a charge account with the guy starting back when I was 14/15. He'd been trying to sell out for years and finally got a buyer about two years ago. Would have kept shopping there but the new owner not too friendly and kept weird hours. O'Reilly's moved in and they get all my business now.

funny how things change, and not always for the better

• Like 1

I don’t rely on auto parts stores as often as you guys might but when I do it seams like the quality of the items I get has gone down hill and I have to visit three different ones in order to find what I need. 

9 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

We have a locally owned NAPA here as well as O'Reilly, AutoZone, and Advanced Auto. I find that the guys at  O'Reilly's are better at customer service as in actually taking the time to understand what you need. NAPA makes me feel like its a bother that I am there, and not one of their regular customers. 

Shows what a difference there is in areas. NAPA guys here are like family. The one time I went in an O'reillys I was the only customer in the store. Counter guys answered 4 phone calls before I walked out.

47 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Auto zone, advanced, federated and a napa. 

Same 4 we have; 3 of them within walking distance of each other. and Napa 1/2 mile. I go to Napa most of the time.