IH 660 diesel 4x4

2muchtuck

Recently bought a Ih 660 diesel 4x4 with loader for our farm. It's going to be a project to tidy up for occasional use around the farm but currently runs and drives barely currently. I cannot find any info about the 4wd models. Does anyone have any info on the tractor mainly about the 4wd end? Tractor data doesn't even list a 4wd model. Thanks 

• Like 1

You need to park that in the shed and forget using it.  A 660 is a rare enough tractor to find, but a 660 FWA.....  whew!  I don't know how you accidentally came across one that didn't bring a big pile of money!

The 2350 doesn't belong on a 660, and it's too bad someone hacked it up to work.  I'd sure be careful with it.... it is pretty haphazardly mounted and too big for the tractors frame anyway. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

You need to park that in the shed and forget using it.........

Gotta say:  I'm with J-Mech on this.

Looks like beautiful country where you are.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

Tractor itself is not so much rare. The aftermarket front axle and chain drive case only show up very seldom on a tractor Have seen 2 other ones both in tractor salvage yard. I believe that front end , transfer case worked on all ihc models from a M to a 660 with almost the same parts. 

We had a 2350 loader on the 560 for several years and it worked fairly well for what it was. Ideal? Hardly, but also hardly a travesty. It plowed the driveway, scooped manure, spread gravel, pushed out brush.

That said a 660 is no more heavily built than a 560 as far as the frame goes. If it had the standard front end under it those appear to be a bit more heavily built than your typical row crop wide front, especially the Schwartz.

That said, I agree with it being haphazardly mounted. Great way to put it. The front mounts should have bolted straight to existing holes in the front bolster with spacers, same as if you were mounting the loader on an 06 or 56 series. I don't know what's going on there but that left front mount is pretty saggy.

On the front end, it appears to be an Elwood conversion. Aftermarket, not factory. Rare, because the benefits of MFWD were not widely known and it was an expensive option for farmers on a tight budget. Here's a video of a 560 with one. Lots of pictures of them on Google.

Regarding parking the tractor in the shed, I don't 100% agree with that. I think parking them and not using them is worse than taking them out and working them from time to time. Use, don't abuse.

• Like 2

Interesting tractor. Front axle looks similar to axles used on the roadless conversions on the old Fordson majors. 
not the best of pics I’m afraid. I think they used GM axle components. Selene in Italy supplied some of the conversions. Not sure if your front axle is the same type. 

4F2FFBD8-3415-4149-96F7-24F1474753C3.png

6 minutes ago, England806 said:

Interesting tractor. Front axle looks similar to axles used on the roadless conversions on the old Fordson majors. 
not the best of pics I’m afraid. I think they used GM axle components. Selene in Italy supplied some of the conversions. Not sure if your front axle is the same type. 

4F2FFBD8-3415-4149-96F7-24F1474753C3.png

The axles were supposed to be military surplus or used on some type of army trucks. And adapted later after war to civilian use.

Very interesting.   As stated, Rare bird, and the 4x4 add just makes it more cool!    I agree with the use, don't abuse.  Looks like a fun project, please keep sharing!

the 660 is definitly not rare by any means. they made approx. 7000 units, 5 of them i have here in my yard. that is my farming tractors. that is one rough looking chopped up 660. whoever did that should be in hiding. the loader dont belong on it. the front wheel assist is an add on. it has the 23.1 x26 rear rubber that is less common than the 18.4x34 rubber they came with.  we also had 5 or 6 660's at our antique tractor pull 2 years ago.  the only thing rare on that tractor is the steering wheel because you cannot get replacements. everything else is like the 560. except the rear planetary's. the 660 it a taller tractor than the 560 by about 2" , it has a taller rad also. spacer under the rad and spacers under the platform. same engine 282 engine as 560, only is speeded up to 2400 rpm from 1800 in the 560. this is my farming and pulling 660.

IMG_3622.JPG

MATT is correct, that's the early ELWOOD axle, note the two chain drive box.  Elwood was actually an approved supplier for fwa axles on 560/660,  there's a single page brochure on them,  Elwood had one first time I visited them about '80.  I'm sure someone here has one too.

The axles themselves back in those days were front driving axles on surplus ARMY 6x6 trucks which ELWOOD bought from the Joliet, Ill Arsenal that scrapped the trucks out.  I think back then there was only one size of 6x6, about a 5 ton.  There was a smaller 4x4 about 2 ton truck,  I doubt that axle held up to Elwood's testing.

I have to agree,  think I'd remove the loader and shine the 660 up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

660s with front wheel assist are extremely rare to begin with, What's also unusual about this tractor is the 23.1-26 rear tires. The vast majority of 660s use 18.4-34 tires. The loader should be removed and put on a newer tractor. It needs a grille. A 560 grille fits and a Farmall 560 grille should work. The headlights off a 460 Utility will work. The battery lids are missing and Farmall 460 and 560 tractors are slightly different because of the headlight posts on them. A standard tread 560 uses the same thing. This 660 most likely is a 1959, 60 or early 1961 model as the late ones had the wide fenders and these are extended. This tractor should be restored as it is very valuable. 

• Like 1