Yes I’m familiar with the injector pump tick on the international engines. I can hold my ear up to the pump and this noise is not the tick coming from the pump. I’ve had quite a few international tractors over the years 806,966,1066,1086,1586,1486. I’m running it with the valve cover off so I can watch the rocker arms and listen. This is a noise that sounds very similar to an injector knock. Obviously it isn’t the injectors though because I just replaced them and primed each line with fuel. I feel like exhaust valve on cylinder 4 is my issue. I will dig into it more tomorrow and let you guys know what I find

• Thanks 1

Again we go back to original post. Tractor has been parked with what was thought to be motor problems and radiator was plugged up. Neighbor borrowed tractor and it quit. The logical conclusion you can draw from this. Tractor got overheated badly and motor stopped. After it cooled down there was a knock so owners let tractor set. The camshaft not opening exhaust valve would have helped heat engine and the exhaust gas getting burnt in the next cylinders melted a piston ( scored , galled , seized) whatever term you want to use. The owner is asking for advice we already know block has to come out for proper cam bearing replacement. You can replace just the camshaft if you want to. Either way cut your losses get a complete engine kit in and you are good to go for a while. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Again we go back to original post. Tractor has been parked with what was thought to be motor problems and radiator was plugged up. Neighbor borrowed tractor and it quit. The logical conclusion you can draw from this. Tractor got overheated badly and motor stopped. After it cooled down there was a knock so owners let tractor set. The camshaft not opening exhaust valve would have helped heat engine and the exhaust gas getting burnt in the next cylinders melted a piston ( scored , galled , seized) whatever term you want to use. The owner is asking for advice we already know block has to come out for proper cam bearing replacement. You can replace just the camshaft if you want to. Either way cut your losses get a complete engine kit in and you are good to go for a while. 

That's what I would have done to begin with.......  but, here we are, and as of yet, no proof of any of the problems that were, and are still, assumed.  

If you had to guess, how many hours does the tractor have. Being it's never been overhauled, i wouldn't think the cam would be wore out yet. I know alot of different things can affect cam life such as lifters flaking off on the bottom. Lack of running the overhead when suppose to and type of engine oil. If you had a bad cylinder I would think you would have saw something when you had the head off though. Leak at the manifold could have been just slobbering. On the white smoke I bought a 1066 once where the turbo seal's we're bad and caused it to do that. I'd sure try to see if you can find out somehow if you actually do have a bad lobe before you tear that whole engine apart and find out different. 

• Like 1

Couple notes just for info:

I have seen 400 series score the cylinder with zero upper cylinder evidence, but once the pan was removed you could clearly see it.

You can visually check the cam from the bottom side. 

If you want to keep digging, I would first verify that the one exhaust lobe travel is less, and check rocker lash.  Then, if necessary pull the pan and look. 

Sure doesn't sound like a damaged engine from your posts though, which also begs the question as to what happened to it.  

How does the turbo look?  You sure it didn't go out?? That would make the most sense at this point. 

I’m just going off of what the neighbor told me had happened. He likes his beer so his memory could be a little fuzzy haha. Rain collar was missing off of the exhaust stack so rain was running down it and rusted a hole in the muffler, turbo bearings feel tight, but idk about the seals. I’ll see what I find on that exhaust valve tomorrow and go from there

17 hours ago, SeanP said:

I’m just going off of what the neighbor told me had happened. He likes his beer so his memory could be a little fuzzy haha. Rain collar was missing off of the exhaust stack so rain was running down it and rusted a hole in the muffler, turbo bearings feel tight, but idk about the seals. I’ll see what I find on that exhaust valve tomorrow and go from there

Water will quickly destroy a good engine.  An engine with issues, well you have junk now.  Replace it with a good combine engine.

33 minutes ago, SeanP said:

Had a mechanic out today and I have issues in the bottom end. Cam shaft is also going out. Gonna pull the pan and see what we find

I'm guessing the piston is tapping the head on that cylinder. They can do that and be very hard to tell by looking at head and piston. Probably have a problem with the rod bearing on that cylinder. And still have camshaft issue. Just a guess.

13 hours ago, SeanP said:

Had a mechanic out today and I have issues in the bottom end. Cam shaft is also going out. Gonna pull the pan and see what we find

What kind of condition is the rest of the tractor in? Tires.TA work? Cab rusted out? Paint. I'm in no way talking about you, but I've seen it many times. Some people jump on something cheap thinking they got a deal and it's no deal in the end.

18 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

What kind of condition is the rest of the tractor in? Tires.TA work? Cab rusted out? Paint. I'm in no way talking about you, but I've seen it many times. Some people jump on something cheap thinking they got a deal and it's no deal in the end.

His cousins bought it new, I would fix it . Already did head, radiator and injectors, I would finish an overhaul on it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know the history on this tractor so I would like to fix it up. My cousins always maintained things. I actually spread lime with it before that guy destroyed it and it ran great. It needs a new seat and a cab kit. All I’m gonna do with it is run an auger in the fall and plow some snow with it. I bought it expecting to put 5 or 6 grand into it

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SeanP said:

I know the history on this tractor so I would like to fix it up. My cousins always maintained things. I actually spread lime with it before that guy destroyed it and it ran great. It needs a new seat and a cab kit. All I’m gonna do with it is run an auger in the fall and plow some snow with it. I bought it expecting to put 5 or 6 grand into it

You bought it expecting to put 5 or 6 grand into it..... to run an auger and plow snow???  You need a place to dump money or something??  That's a whole heck of a lot of tractor to run an auger with and push snow.  

2 hours ago, SeanP said:

You shouldn't have to justify yourself for what you're doing with it. Your tractor your money. I believe you were just asking for suggestions as to why could be wrong. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeanP said:

Up here in North Dakota guys are using magnums as their auger tractors. Not many 86s running around but there are some. My buddy who is all John Deere and one Oliver tractor has two 7060 allis tractors. All they do is run augers in the fall he used to pull a manure spreader with them but now they just run augers.

17 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Try running a 13”x90’, that takes some power in 20% corn.

Most people are running 13 and 16 inch augers now. They want the trucks dumped fast. Neighbors were unloading wheat two years ago 80 some bpa. A puma 140 on auger never shut the tractor off all day dumping 5 trucks from 2 combines. One of the guys wife just sat in tractor all day turning pto on and off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Most people are running 13 and 16 inch augers now. They want the trucks dumped fast. Neighbors were unloading wheat two years ago 80 some bpa. A puma 140 on auger never shut the tractor off all day dumping 5 trucks from 2 combines. One of the guys wife just sat in tractor all day turning pto on and off.

When we’re on corn we usually have 2 dump sites going, one with an 8” auger and the other with a 10”. We’ve got three drake hoppers and a 750 grain cart, running an 8 row head. It’s all we can do to keep up with anything over 200 bushel. Running the augers with super m’s so I’m sure that slows us down a tad.