This past summer I bought a 1486 that my cousins bought new in 77. Before I bought it they let a friend borrow it and he blew it up while using it. It sat for probably 5 or 6 years so I was able to buy it dirt cheap. The engine has never been touched or overhauled. The friend told me that it blew either water or oil out of the exhaust stack and he shut it down right away. So he says. I figured he blew the head gasket and possibly warped the head. I dropped the fluids and oil and water both looked clean. Next I pulled the head and sent it to a machine shop to have it worked over. They told me everything looked good, ground the intake valves a little, replaced the injector sleeves, and whatever else it needed. In the mean time I noticed that the radiator was plugged and calcified so I sent it to a shop to have it rebuilt. I ordered a new water pump and temp sending unit. I reused the old injectors and did not have them tested. I installed new copper washers and dust seals. I replaced the head gasket and set the intake valves to 0.020 and the exhaust valves to 0.025. It has the old cam shaft. The engine when running has a ticking noise and I can’t locate where it’s coming from. Rocker arms are getting oil and look to be running like they should. I notice either fuel or oil running out of the exhaust manifold. I’m thinking of replacing all of the injectors next. Also engine pours out white smoke. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

10 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

Injectors could be junk valves should all be at .25 

I think there is a SN break on the valve settings.... but I might be remembering wrong.  And I think you meant .025.  .25 is a lot....

Pull the injectors and pump and take them to a shop.  You have fuel issues. 

You said engine was thought to be ruined or blown up and radiator plugged? I would be surprised just by your description that it didn’t get severely overheated and has a piston and sleeve that is screwed up pretty badly.take a temp gun to see which cyl isn’t firing.  Common , very common thing to happen.

12 hours ago, SeanP said:

This past summer I bought a 1486 that my cousins bought new in 77. Before I bought it they let a friend borrow it and he blew it up while using it. It sat for probably 5 or 6 years so I was able to buy it dirt cheap. The engine has never been touched or overhauled. The friend told me that it blew either water or oil out of the exhaust stack and he shut it down right away. So he says. I figured he blew the head gasket and possibly warped the head. I dropped the fluids and oil and water both looked clean. Next I pulled the head and sent it to a machine shop to have it worked over. They told me everything looked good, ground the intake valves a little, replaced the injector sleeves, and whatever else it needed. In the mean time I noticed that the radiator was plugged and calcified so I sent it to a shop to have it rebuilt. I ordered a new water pump and temp sending unit. I reused the old injectors and did not have them tested. I installed new copper washers and dust seals. I replaced the head gasket and set the intake valves to 0.020 and the exhaust valves to 0.025. It has the old cam shaft. The engine when running has a ticking noise and I can’t locate where it’s coming from. Rocker arms are getting oil and look to be running like they should. I notice either fuel or oil running out of the exhaust manifold. I’m thinking of replacing all of the injectors next. Also engine pours out white smoke. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Well you went to a lot  of effort,the injectors should be tested.I am at the point where ANY motor work gets done other then a water pump,I pull injectors, pump and usually first. It is almost a mainttance thing, kinda like a tune up on a gas engine.I am not saying what you did was not needed just it is one more step to eliminate your problems. 

Ticking sounds like a tappet gap too wide. I would readjust your tappet gap, not uncommon for one to not be correct when the head has been removed. Lot of places for a little piece of foreign matter to hide. White smoke seems like it is burning coolant to me. Most often that is an injector sleeve issue though, which you have fixed. I would check out the injectors as others said. An inexpensive tractor gets expensive quickly I know. $2000 will cover a pump and injector rebuild, but I wouldn't do that yet if it was me. Just get the injectors tested first. Let us know what you find.

• Confused 1

Well I just replaced all of the injectors and I still have this ticking sound. I watched all of my rocker arms and I noticed #4 exhaust push rod doesn’t have near as much lift as the other exhaust valves. Wouldn’t the cam lobe be the only thing that would effect the poor lift? The push rod doesn’t seem to be bent or broken either  

I had a 1466 with a DT 436 that had a couple cam lobes badly worn. Replaced the cam and it run great. It was bending push rods before I figured out what was going on. There’s nothing else that could cause it not to have enough lift. 
Not a small job though.

8 minutes ago, SeanP said:

Well I just replaced all of the injectors and I still have this ticking sound. I watched all of my rocker arms and I noticed #4 exhaust push rod doesn’t have near as much lift as the other exhaust valves. Wouldn’t the cam lobe be the only thing that would effect the poor lift? The push rod doesn’t seem to be bent or broken either  

If the valves were adjusted properly it still should not tick. Is the valve adjustment way off on the rocker? Did the adjuster get left loose? Sounds like you may need a camshaft but it shouldn't be causing ticking noise if they were adjusted.

4 minutes ago, mkrsmoke said:

I had a 1466 with a DT 436 that had a couple cam lobes badly worn. Replaced the cam and it run great. It was bending push rods before I figured out what was going on. There’s nothing else that could cause it not to have enough lift. 
Not a small job though.

I don't know how a bad cam love could bend a push rod unless it was able to come out of the rocker arm adjusting ball 

15 minutes ago, TB5288 said:

I don't know how a bad cam love could bend a push rod unless it was able to come out of the rocker arm adjusting ball 

I’m not really sure either, it bent a couple twice. I was watching it run with the valve cover off & noticed the lift wasn’t near the same on a couple rockers, don’t think it was a coincidence that those were the ones bending pushrods...  All I know is that I put a new cam in it & it hasn’t done it since & that was about 7 years ago. 

With the problems you list , no lift on a valve and a ticking noise. You probably are better off to just bite the bullet and spend the money on sleeves and pistons , full overhaul kit on engine with new cam. Put the cam in it might run for a bit you are just better of to go through it all.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, SeanP said:

I watched all of my rocker arms and I noticed #4 exhaust push rod doesn’t have near as much lift as the other exhaust valves.

By eye? With it running? Is that rocker adjusted out more than the others?  As long as the lash is correct, even with a bad lobe it shouldn't "tick".  Is the engine missfiring? 

1 minute ago, SeanP said:

I’m not hearing a misfire, it seems to run good besides the ticking. And yes I watched it while it was at idle. Do the worn cam lobes usually destroy the lifters? 

You can definitely see a valve that doesn’t open. It is very noticeable when watching height of other valves. The oblong cam wears off not pushing lifter and valve train up to open valve enough. If exhaust doesn’t open it will push air back into intake manifold. The proper way to diagnose cam lift is with dial indicator , but if you have a noticeable lift difference and more than likely adjusting screw on that rocker is in farther than others you found your problem. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeanP said:

I might just go for a lower end rebuild. I don’t really want to tear this back apart in 2 years because I cut corners. Especially after it was ran too hot

That is usually what happens, you can change cam bearings in frame with right tools but block needs to come out for those bearings so you might as well spend the money now.

55 minutes ago, dale560 said:

You can definitely see a valve that doesn’t open. It is very noticeable when watching height of other valves.

Listen.... that is true to a trained eye, but this guy is here asking for help, so obviously isn't trained or he wouldn't be asking.  Second, you nor I have heard it.  For all we know, he is just hearing the injection pump tick that all the 400 series has.  He says he doesn't hear a missfire, which may be that he just isn't familiar enough to hear one, or it isn't missing.  We both know it should have an odd sound if a valve isn't opening, so how about cooling down on trying to convince him to go ripping the motor apart until we can confirm that is what it really needs??? 

Now..... 

49 minutes ago, SeanP said:

I could maybe try tightening the tappet screw down a tad bit on that valve and see if the tick gets any better 

Is the tappet in spec?  Why don't you take the valve cover off and confirm you aren't just seeing things?  I'm pretty skeptical at this point.

56 minutes ago, SeanP said:

I could maybe try tightening the tappet screw down a tad bit on that valve and see if the tick gets any better 

I wouldn’t have a problem doing it for diagnostic purposes 

brings up a good point are you familiar with 400 engines   The pump has a pretty good tick.   I have a video that amplifys  it but can’t load it from phone