Digital vs Analog

I've got a 1086 with a non operational digital tach. speed, PTO, hr. meter, the proverbial "digital data center". It's repairable for around $250-$400. 

Am contemplating swapping it out with the old style round analog version of tach, speed, PTO, hr meter, which I think is a more attractive cluster, and only about 1/2 the cost, plus of course the labor to modify the dash etc. and I'm guessing installing the cable drive workings. 

Has anyone attempted this retrofit? Any thoughts or ideas, problems anyone ran into. 

I have yet to get info from a dealer of parts availability and hassles involved. Yeah, I'm a bit old school and dislike digital  pretty much like I dislike poli-tikians and tyrants. Neither of which seem to work all that long or are that reliable...... 

What did you do before the advent of all the digital gps electronic enabled crap? Plow, disc, plant, spray, fertilize pretty much exactly the same way didn't ya.... 

8 minutes ago, N S said:

I've got a 1086 with a non operational digital tach. speed, PTO, hr. meter, the proverbial "digital data center". It's repairable for around $250-$400. 

Am contemplating swapping it out with the old style round analog version of tach, speed, PTO, hr meter, which I think is a more attractive cluster, and only about 1/2 the cost, plus of course the labor to modify the dash etc. and I'm guessing installing the cable drive workings. 

Has anyone attempted this retrofit? Any thoughts or ideas, problems anyone ran into. 

I have yet to get info from a dealer of parts availability and hassles involved. Yeah, I'm a bit old school and dislike digital  pretty much like I dislike poli-tikians and tyrants. Neither of which seem to work all that long or are that reliable...... 

What did you do before the advent of all the digital gps electronic enabled crap? Plow, disc, plant, spray, fertilize pretty much exactly the same way didn't ya.... 

Its your personnel choice really , I wouldn't do it myself I think in the end its a trade-off on cost

• Like 1

I have done at least one or two of these swaps. Steel wheels in this area are rough on the connections on the digital 86s and cut off cabs are a strike against them too. It doesn't take long to notch the dash a little to fit the round tach in.   Of course you could get an early round tach dash and change it put but that is a lot of extra work. Or make a plate and bolt it on. Adding the tach drive is fairly straightforward. 

For the guys who wouldn't do it because, "It's not original!" it's also not your tractor.

It's also a 44 year old tractor that has absolutely no collector value unless it's really low hours and in cherry condition. These are considered "beater" tractors in this day and age, disposable, cheap horsepower. Nice ones do bring nice price and get treated accordingly. The high hour ones with the rusted out cabs sell cheap, get rode hard, put away wet, and sent to the salvage yard when they stop moving.

If you want to fix yours back to original, that's your perogative, and your money, but there is no TECHNICAL reason for not doing this if all you want is a working tachometer.

Also, no need to get the cover for the flywheel. Just leave the sensor in place. It's not hurting anything being there. Only reason to do that is if you're intending to sell the electronic instrumentation as a package to someone.

• Like 3

Nice pic haywire, and thanks everyone for the feedback. I bought this thing cause it was the best deal I could find and what I could afford, and it 's RED (just a wee bit partial). I don't have enough acreage available to justify a newer tractor and I'm in the mtns. so HP is a must. Besides, I'm anti electronic everything with all the bells and whistles and boingers on everything. Don't need a stupid light to tell me nothing but something is wrong when I can look at a gauge and know whats wrong. Soon as the snow melts from around it I'll tackle that little job along with the other little issues it has.

I'm thinking of replacing the rest of the gauges to analog round style as well but I'm afraid there may not be enough dash room for them all. Hey, ya never know what I'm gonna come top with though. I'll post a pic when I get it complete. 

Thanks again all for your input, much appreciated...