Farmall M muffler 403551R1

I have am putting in a clutch and doing some other work to a late M for a customer,  he is very partial to the original sounding muffler (403551R1 that is stamped on the outer shell and below the embossed IH logo).

I've spent quite a bit of time on the internet looking for this muffler, case still offers this number but sounds much different than the original. Anyone have any leads on a new old stock or even a decent used one?

Much appreciated

1 hour ago, bankshotone said:

I have am putting in a clutch and doing some other work to a late M for a customer,  he is very partial to the original sounding muffler (403551R1 that is stamped on the outer shell and below the embossed IH logo).

I've spent quite a bit of time on the internet looking for this muffler, case still offers this number but sounds much different than the original. Anyone have any leads on a new old stock or even a decent used one?

Much appreciated

Might find one on Ebay but probably  used 

Thought steiner was reproducing originals too? Don't know how proce or quality would be tho.

50 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Thought steiner was reproducing originals too? Don't know how proce or quality would be tho.

IIRC   only in look and #.....china stanley

The I-H mufflers were galv. coated and lasted for ever, but today you would have to hunt for them, put a new Stanley on it will last a few tractor shows looks original save a lot of time and money. I had one come in this summer I was so proud of it I took a picture.

100_1744.JPG

100_1748.JPG

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

They are. The ones that Ken sells are the same, https://www.steinertractor.com/IHS1930-Restoration-Quality-Muffler

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, bankshotone said:

How would I get ahold of this gentleman?

Ken @ Johnson Tractor    855_934_2388***Juda,,WI

A friend of mine said his dad had a pipe or shaft just the right size it would flatten down the baffles when he drove it through the muffler and make a Stanley sound like an original IH.

Closest thing you're going to find to this "unicorn" is the restoration quality muffler.

I mean, most guys with an M would kill for an NOS original muffler... You've got competition, a long line ahead of you. Lots of persnickety fellas out there who are less than satisfied with the sound of their M with a Stanley muffler on it.

I am fairly certain the "Restoration quality" mufflers were built off the original IH blueprints. @Bermuda_Ken would be the one to answer for sure. 

14 hours ago, superman said:

The I-H mufflers were galv. coated and lasted for ever, but today you would have to hunt for them, put a new Stanley on it will last a few tractor shows looks original save a lot of time and money. I had one come in this summer I was so proud of it I took a picture.

100_1744.JPG

100_1748.JPG

That Muffler is a updated version its got a longer body than the original mufflers I had to put one like that on my 656 and don't like it its 4 inches higher than the original style  from IH  

Steiner has reduced price restoration quality mufflers, a scratch or dent. Both polished stainless steel and ALUMINIZED steel.  Galvanizing lasts about 3-4 minutes at idle on an M.  ALUMINIZED steel will last years,  where the seams get rolled is where the first few flakes of rust will start.

I've got two Stanley mufflers in my shop if I ever get a job where I don't want to listen to a stainless steel straight pipe on either of my tractors.  But I really hate the sound of the Stanleys.  Oh, and the Stanley's are too long or tall to get in/out of my shop on the tractor.

It's really sad to think how much we miss the stock OEM mufflers that were so common in the 1950's and early 1960's.  

I am really surprised they are NLA as far as Nelson built. When I ordered them on the Nelson muffler program they came in display boxes of 9. Sold 50-60 a year. A guy on the Allis forum got Nelson to reintroduce the correct D15 and D17 oval mufflers. I bought one and it was well built and sounded correct. I am sure if someone is willing to do the leg work it could be done for the 403551R1. I was told by a guy who sell Steiner parts that their muffler is correct. Is the 360720R291 still correct?

I think Nelson got pushed out of the market by Stanley getting online and supplying mufflers to anyone who was willing to retail them. I've never seen a Nelson muffler outside of a dealership, and when everyone is doing everything in their power to avoid dealing with the dealership, then the Internet comes along with all these cheap Stanley mufflers at your fingertips...

The IH stamped reproduction mufflers that STEINER sells were a project we did together now 10+ years ago.  They are made from original IH blueprints and have the "sound" that many will remember. The mufflers made by others DO NOT have the "sound" or look of the originals.

I have plans in the works to make the newer cylindrical and oval shaped IH stamped mufflers for the 806-26-56-66-68 series. Plans are to do them all at once as they are very similar to each other. 

Nelson was bought by Fleetguard many years ago and then few years later went thru an partial ownership change/buyout. Up until 2000, Nelson and Donaldson still had the IH muffler stampings and a few were "back-doored" from a plant in Iowa once.  I'm told all of that is gone now.  CNH switched to Stanley as the repair parts supplier (I believe) strictly on price, as their quality is very lacking.  There are still Nelson mufflers to be found....you just need to look.....

1 hour ago, Bermuda_Ken said:

The IH stamped reproduction mufflers that STEINER sells were a project we did together now 10+ years ago.  They are made from original IH blueprints and have the "sound" that many will remember. The mufflers made by others DO NOT have the "sound" or look of the originals.

I have plans in the works to make the newer cylindrical and oval shaped IH stamped mufflers for the 806-26-56-66-68 series. Plans are to do them all at once as they are very similar to each other. 

Nelson was bought by Fleetguard many years ago and then few years later went thru an partial ownership change/buyout. Up until 2000, Nelson and Donaldson still had the IH muffler stampings and a few were "back-doored" from a plant in Iowa once.  I'm told all of that is gone now.  CNH switched to Stanley as the repair parts supplier (I believe) strictly on price, as their quality is very lacking.  There are still Nelson mufflers to be found....you just need to look.....

My Dad worked at that Donaldson plant.  Closed and gone now. It is a K&M tire warehouse now.