Gehl 800 recutter blower?

Here's a topic for discussion for a February day when it's too cold to do anything else.

I was looking online at various pieces of farm equipment, something I do, and I came across images of a gehl 800 recutter blower. I've never seen one of those before. When were they produced? Does anybody on here have any experiences using one? How did they work? Please share your stories.

I have one, bought it at a sale cheap because I wanted something to chop my tobacco stalks so they would flow through a vee spreader and break down faster in the field.  As I was going over it it looked like the guy before me used it as a wood chipper.    For what I was doing it worked great. I had to buy another blower to get the other half of the PTO shaft I needed though.  I got a manual for it but I don't know when they were made etc or have any experience using one to chop hay or ear corn etc and blow it in a silo. It's a neat compact unit that I'm kind of surprised we didn't see more of. 

• Like 1

They were produced in the late 60's and early 70's.  There were a few around our neighbor hood.  They were used mainly to grind ear corn in to silos.  I think it was the FB99? Gehl blower that they mounted on.  Some guys also used them to chop silage finer before it went into the silo.  They would chop longer in the field if they didn't have a big tractor for the chopper.  Kind of died out after Gehl and others all had choppers that could take a recutter screen.

• Like 1