466 Engine Weight

bmk

I am looking for a engine stand for my shop.  What is the weight of a 466 complete engine? Would use it for other things, but if i get one, i want one big enough to handle  big 6 cylinder engine.  Thanks

I built my own, A 90 Degree gearbox and some rectangle and pipe.   I side attatch the 466 engines and have a fixture for the IH 4 speed tractor transmission. 

• Like 1

I believe the medium duty 6's run about 1500 dry, that includes the DT466 and the Cummins C and L series big 6's like the Detroit 6 71 and the Cummins 855 are over 2500 in some cases.  Then you get to the Cat 3406 and Detroit 60 and they get heavy. The little(?) 3-71 Detroit weighs as much or more as the DT466/Cummins C/L. I have a harbor freight 2,000# stand It is really not good with a 750# 454 Chevy or 460 Ford V8 or the IHC D179. 

Thanks Guys.  Tractor engines would be what i want one for.  Im sure it will be used for other jobs.  From what I have looked at online, I will probably build one myself.

I have an OTC 1735B stand. love it. Had a DT436 on it and with its worm drive gearbox you can just spin it around and it stays where you put it. My brother build one with a regular gearbox. He said look out if you let go of the handle.

9 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

I built my own stand, used the gearbox from an old silo unloader

5BEBD990-5EB7-45D8-BD89-3A0DE0EFA873.jpeg

342F4623-4FF2-447C-BB9F-48DC217C8BBA.jpeg

Looks nice except I'd go with a  brace down lower and get rid of the plastic wheels and use steel rollers those engines are very heavy 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 7:00 AM, ksfarmdude said:

Looks nice except I'd go with a  brace down lower and get rid of the plastic wheels and use steel rollers those engines are very heavy 

Trust me this one is built plenty heavy!  
  Those plastic wheels are rated at 1,000 each.

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

Yes a 503 815 or other make gearbox even a bigger one would work.

I don’t what these gearboxes look like inside, but whatever you use make sure it has a worm gear. That way you won’t have to worry about the handle taking your hand off!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

I don’t what these gearboxes look like inside, but whatever you use make sure it has a worm gear. That way you won’t have to worry about the handle taking your hand off!!!

The one my brothers shop made stand does not have a worm gearbox. He said you dont let go of the handle until its locked. Mine has a worm gearbox and it stays where you want it. Think of the steering on an F20 vs a Regular when hitting a rut.

I'd never consider using anything unless its worm gear drive they are best for that type of use unless you like getting your teeth knocked out using gear types if you let go of the handle

• Like 1

I wouldn't build a stand for that heavy of an engine unless the lower base was "C" shaped like the OTC "Revolver" is.  Always wanted an OTC stand, but the (then) $6,000 sticker price changed my mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nebraska1206 said:

I built mine using a Zimmatic pivot wheel gearbox, the plate that bolts to the engine is 3/4" thick plate.

2012-04-28_16-07-18_516.jpg

I like your version better but It still makes me nervous seeing just one upright (welded only) post holding the whole thing there's a lot of weight prying in one direction when she snaps hope your quick getting away

1 minute ago, ksfarmdude said:

I like your version better but It still makes me nervous seeing just one upright (welded only) post holding the whole thing there's a lot of weight prying in one direction when she snaps hope your quick getting away

If you look at it from this side, you'll see I have a gusset welded in the full length of the upright tube.  I've hung complete engines, and complete T/A housings on here, with no issues.

2012-04-28_17-12-06_866.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nebraska1206 said:

If you look at it from this side, you'll see I have a gusset welded in the full length of the upright tube.  I've hung complete engines, and complete T/A housings on here, with no issues.

2012-04-28_17-12-06_866.jpg

That sure helps and i like what your using for the pivot gear box and attachment points that looks bullet proof  the steel casters look great also I think if I build one I'm going to use 4"0 I beam  for lower framework and for the top support just haven't figured out what to use for the gear rotation part yet