Advice for new 9mm

The thing I like about Ruger, service after the sale is second to none. A phone call and parts are in the mail. Generally free. They back their products.

• Like 3
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My advice is to get something and hide it ...... 

what he said ^^^^ I used to have guns before the boating accident....

The thing I like about Ruger, service after the sale is second to none. A phone call and parts are in the mail. Generally free. They back their products.

Posted Images

Glocks are great in my opinion, they may be boxy for some but go bang every time the trigger is pulled, are reasonably accurate and that's the main thing. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

I like my ruger sr9 and my wife likes her sr9c. With the magazine extension she can use my mags. That’s the only difference between them. Full size has a 17 round mag and the 9c holds 9 rounds. I carry other pistols most of the time but for 9mm the sr goes bang every time. 

I beg to differ. My sr9c is 10+1 , with a 17 round mag that came with it. So that is 10+1 or 17+1 with the extension sleeve.

1 minute ago, cobfly said:

I beg to differ. My sr9c is 10+1 , with a 17 round mag that came with it. So that is 10+1 or 17+1 with the extension sleeve.

Your probably right on 10. I haven’t shot hers in a long time and almost asked her if I was right on it holding 9. I would of had to get out of my chair to check if she told me I was wrong.  

Talk of ease of use and safety is a nice, but here is my favorite, a series 80 gold cup, vintage 1988, got close to 4 grand into it, anyone familiar with 1911s will see the upgrades, dovetailed and pinned front and rear sights, skeleton hammer and trigger,ambi safety, extended slide release, extended mag release, briley barrel, full length guide rod with 18# spring,extended mag well, recessed ejection chamber, resprung firing pin, comp ejection rod, pinned grip safety, if you look at the rubber surround grips I placed them and took a rasp and filed away the rubber until it fit my hand to a tee, like I said this thing is a beast, but damn it’s fun. It also has a black history, but I’ll leave that for another time. The mags are after market 8 rd mags, with one in the pipe 9 rds, the trigger and sear are all reground with a max 2# pull.

DE3A8885-8687-436F-B6DC-489FBF03B283.jpeg

161AE329-1C86-4ECB-9651-6E19F06138B0.jpeg

A0643A95-E784-4B6A-8E44-01E66860067D.jpeg

• Like 3

Pickup a Glock then pickup up  Walther PPQ.  You won't pickup a Glock again.  I'll admit I'm a Walther fan though and rotate between a PPS, P99, and PPQ (all .40 and paddle mag release) depending on what I'm wearing and or doing.  I have different type of holsters for each.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge Glock fan although I have a couple. My favorite is a G21 chambered for 50GI. Reason a lot of police departments have glock is because Glock had fantastic deals to get those departments to buy them. Many call the Glock the perfect pistol. They started that nonsense with the Gen 1 guns and Glock has upgraded em 4 times not to the Gen 5. Plus there are tons of after market upgrades for the perfect gun. Don't like the triggers on them and spending 150-300 to fix that is easy. I also own a CZ, A couple of 1911's, Browning HP and Ruger. Go to a store with a range and find out what suits you. Lot at hand fit and caliber both.

Your big problem right now will be selection and ammo at fair price. People are paying as much as a buck a round for 9MM.

Rick

• Like 2

I can’t quite put my finger on it yet but for some odd reason this reminds me of an oil thread. Sooner or later it will come to me I think . 

• Like 3

I’m obviously a late-comer to this thread, but I have a 9mm story to tell. My neighbor wanted to buy a new gun late last month. He went to a local gun shop. They had the gun he wanted, I forget what brand he said it was, but it was 9mm. They went through the paperwork and he was set. He asked for ammo and they said they didn’t have any. He said he then asked to order some and they told him he couldn’t order any. He then asked them to hold some for him and he said he would pay up front with the gun purchase. They said they could not reserve ammo even through pre-pay. That was strike 3 on them and he got so pissed he cancelled his gun purchase on the spot telling them what good is the gun with no ammo. So beware of what type of gun you are buying or what caliber of ammo it requires as there may be no ammo for it. What a crock. As for me all I have is a Remington 870 pump, and I have plenty of shells for that. 

• Like 1

Try before you buy, and try a lot of different guns.  What one person likes you might not care for.  Models with in the same brand can very greatly.  Also what one person can carry concealed someone else might not be able to pull off.  If you are going to carry concealed time of the year and what you are going to wear can change what you are going to be able to do also.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Doug in NY said:

Try before you buy, and try a lot of different guns.  What one person likes you might not care for.  Models with in the same brand can very greatly.  Also what one person can carry concealed someone else might not be able to pull off.  If you are going to carry concealed time of the year and what you are going to wear can change what you are going to be able to do al

I bought two Taurus G2C pistols a year ago when all the pandemic crap started, one for me and one for Karen.  I didn't want to spend a lot of money, these were like $250 each at Cabbelas.  The ammo was hard to come up with but we now have a few hundred rounds on hand.  Ran a dozen rounds through mine just to see how it felt and have not fired it since, spends most of it's time on the night stand or in the console of my vehicle.  https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-sz-001&ei=UTF-8&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=sz&param1=72470&param2=eyJJbnN0YWxsX0RhdGUiOiIyMDIwLTAyLTI2VDE4OjI0OjQzLjAwMFoiLCJVQSI6Ik1vemlsbGEvNS4wIChXaW5kb3dzIE5UIDYuMzsgV2luNjQ7IHg2NCkgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNTM3LjM2IChLSFRNTCwgbGlrZSBHZWNrbykgQ2hyb21lLzg4LjAuNDMyNC4xNTAgU2FmYXJpLzUzNy4zNiJ9&param3=20&param4=A72918&p=taurus+g2c&type=type7075600-sv7-A55043-08fe655d9bfffd8979a26d3432ac3c8aca786acc7d07b6af51fb363b82e019f4#id=1&vid=7a062f27652d63c66a91846fed9e5002&action=click

Can't go wrong with a Hellcat! Just wish I had a nice holster for it. Maybe they're available by now.

It is important to know what you plan to use it for. My daily carry is a .380 Ruger LCP, but if 9 is your flavor for CC I really like the Ruger EC9S others cite the SR9C, a fine gun but no longer available new, however the Ruger American Pistol comes in a full line of configurations for 9MM my truck gun is a Ruger SR9 full size. When a distributor went out of business I bought 6 of them and 6 SR45... surely wish i had bought a dozen of each. 

I agree with VT above.....but favor the 9mm Smith Shield 

2 hours ago, JD Humm said:

I bought two Taurus G2C pistols a year ago when all the pandemic crap started, one for me and one for Karen.  I didn't want to spend a lot of money, these were like $250 each at Cabbelas.  The ammo was hard to come up with but we now have a few hundred rounds on hand.  Ran a dozen rounds through mine just to see how it felt and have not fired it since, spends most of it's time on the night stand or in the console of my vehicle.  https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-sz-001&ei=UTF-8&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=sz&param1=72470&param2=eyJJbnN0YWxsX0RhdGUiOiIyMDIwLTAyLTI2VDE4OjI0OjQzLjAwMFoiLCJVQSI6Ik1vemlsbGEvNS4wIChXaW5kb3dzIE5UIDYuMzsgV2luNjQ7IHg2NCkgQXBwbGVXZWJLaXQvNTM3LjM2IChLSFRNTCwgbGlrZSBHZWNrbykgQ2hyb21lLzg4LjAuNDMyNC4xNTAgU2FmYXJpLzUzNy4zNiJ9&param3=20&param4=A72918&p=taurus+g2c&type=type7075600-sv7-A55043-08fe655d9bfffd8979a26d3432ac3c8aca786acc7d07b6af51fb363b82e019f4#id=1&vid=7a062f27652d63c66a91846fed9e5002&action=click

Well, JD,I recall you saying at the time  you brought those  pistols....that you might end up either shooting your self of some other  similar  disaster...so its good to assume that indeed both of you are still above the grass...:rolleyes:

..long may it stay that way...:)

Mike

• Haha 1

As many have said,  you need to decide your intentions for the handgun. Obviously handguns are primarily purchased for self defense. The primarily consideration is concealed or not. Concealed means you carry it without it showing and preferably  not printing through your clothing. I don't know where you live but clothing varies significantly. Consider winter in Duluth Minnesota vs summer at Miami Beach, very different clothing!

You need to handle various types to decide what fits you. I can't properly grasp a pistol with a very large grip such as the double stack FN five seven. A friend with large hands has trouble with my Walter PPKS. 

I carry a Walter PPKS in 380. I really like the older ruger full size P89 for open cary or in a shoulder holster under a jacket. Of course a quality 1911 45acp is a magnificent firearm but I don't recommend it for a novice.

Also consider revolvers. Simple and reliable.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 3

I like the S&W full size. Also the shield is also good. These are open carry guns or at least a tucked holster. I carry a M&P 380 in my pocket, which is really a 9mm short. But anything that works and comfortable. S&W M&P is my choice.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EASY BOB said:

I like the S&W full size. Also the shield is also good. These are open carry guns or at least a tucked holster. I carry a M&P 380 in my pocket, which is really a 9mm short. But anything that works and comfortable. S&W M&P is my choice.

I have issues with the S&W full frame 9, my fingers aren't very long and I find the grip uncomfortable even with the smallest inserts on. good guns, but they have their shortcomings. my dad has one and loves it..they surely do sell a whole lot of them. 

The Ruger SR9 is a good full size 9mm .  Also Rock inland makes a .380 in the 1911 frame called the Baby Rock it is very easy to conceal carry it. I haven't had any problems with it. As said the S&W shield is a good. Wife carries the EZ slide and no problems with it. Had the Tarus GC2 upgraded to the GC3 both been good guns and as said easy on the billfold.   PM me if you have any questions about them.

4 hours ago, acem said:

As many have said,  you need to decide your intentions for the handgun. Obviously handguns are primarily purchased for self defense.

I think most are for killing people - i think the statistics would be pretty low, possibly lower than dying of covid 

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have issues with the S&W full frame 9, my fingers aren't very long and I find the grip uncomfortable even with the smallest inserts on. good guns, but they have their shortcomings. my dad has one and loves it..they surely do sell a whole lot of them. 

I love them, but also have very large hands.  Can't shoot the Ruger small frames well at all.....too small.

The point?   Buy the one that fits you well, points well for you, and makes you happy.  Also,  buy quality once, or you'll be doing it again.....

• Like 2