Advice for new 9mm

Never had a hand gun, only rifles.  But it is past time that I had something.  Shot some 9mm with friends as a kid but dont remember what they were.  Last year shot a Sig 365XL and a P320, thats it.  What can you guys recommend for a 9mm in the $400-700 range?  I know I should go somewhere and shoot some to see what feels good, but I am looking for a place to start.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My advice is to get something and hide it ...... 

what he said ^^^^ I used to have guns before the boating accident....

The thing I like about Ruger, service after the sale is second to none. A phone call and parts are in the mail. Generally free. They back their products.

Posted Images

Can't go wrong with a Glock 17.  Very reliable, Nothing fancy.   All you need to do them is shoot them.  If you can find ammo.....  

As far as I’m concerned they are all good, just ask yourself why you want one.

concealed carry,

open carry,

how big is your hand and comfort zone,

why a nine, 

is it for fun or business,

are you going to make your own ammo,

I have four semis, 2 nines (saw)

Two 45s (para and colt),

the two saws have decockers that give me a safety margin, the colt is just a beast, and the para has its own internal racking firing system which is very safe, the others you have read about here are very good but I have no personal experience there, ask Jeff (sandhiller) to step in because I know his experience, good luck, there are a lot of gunners here so you should get some good referrals.

Lots of good pistols out there.  We have 3 different Glocks amoung other brands in the collection.  You cant go wrong with a Glock as your first one although many people shame them.  

Smith M&P 2 series fit my large hands well.

Lots of good stuff out there.

For general range work a 1911 in 9mm is a dream to shoot and light on recoil too.

Really should decide on an operating mode (single,  double, double action only, decock, std safety, striker fired w or w/o safety).....then shoot as many of that type as you can to find the one you like.

.....or.....buy several like the rest of us do!

• Like 2

Out of all the small pistols I have shot, a browning hi power is still my favorite. This is my opinion only ,so don’t beat me up. 

Ruger sr9c. My daily carry. I like the thumb safety. I like to carry hot.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Lots of good pistols out there.  We have 3 different Glocks amoung other brands in the collection.  You cant go wrong with a Glock as your first one although many people shame them.  

so whats the rub wtih glock? many law enforcement agencies carry them 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, bitty said:

what he said ^^^^

I used to have guns before the boating accident....

E917F241-EBB5-46FB-8FAA-3FC890DEAA47.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Ihfan4life said:

preferably anonymously...

You got my drift 

;)

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

so whats the rub wtih glock? many law enforcement agencies carry them 

I think the rub is ergonomics, style, etc.  I think a lot of people feel like they are holding a 2x4 exactly like MBrown says. 

From a simplicity and reliability stance I feel they are outstanding. 

The M&P Shield is my go to after the Colt 1911 both in 45 ACP

carried the 1911 for many years,, its a bit heavy

the M&P Shield,,, put it on [IWB] and forget about it,, very comfortable to cary all day on the farm or into town.

Mike

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

ask Jeff (sandhiller) to step in

I always like these threads, just seeing what everyone is shooting is fun but to me it is real personal.

Fit is everything, from initial target acquisition to follow up shots. 

What works for me may not work for you. 

You really need to go hands on, even if you don't shoot it (better if you can though). Bring it up, how do the sights align? Easy or do you have to move it around some. There are some good suggestions above.

I'm sure Jake and me love our guns equally, just not the same guns. Although I bet we would agree on many. 

I'm a larger caliber guy but if I was to buy a 9, it would be a Sig P320 M17. Sold one to a customer and really liked the feel.

Wife is very accurate with her 9mm Ruger P94. 

Hmmmmmmmmmmm wonder if she would like a Sig??

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have multiple 9mm   1911 in a TCM-22/9mm (TCM .22 round is very fast and fun to shoot) glock 9mm , KANIK 9mm (race/competition shooting) very nice handling gun, Hellcat 9mm , AR-15 in  9mm :) 

I really like the Hellcat and the Kanik 

I absolutely love revolvers and HATE semis! My wife shoots a lot of everything and she teaches ladies handgun classes. She likes the Ruger Sr9c for a bigger framed 9, and the Lc9s for conceal carry.  NOT  a Glock fan at all.

1 hour ago, bitty said:

You got my drift 

;)

there are many ways to do this I have heard - get someone else to purchase it and then get it second hand -  you do the math on the rest

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, bitty said:

i dont need to hide anything, i dont have any i just warehouse a lot of ammo for friends for safety

• Haha 1

I like my ruger sr9 and my wife likes her sr9c. With the magazine extension she can use my mags. That’s the only difference between them. Full size has a 17 round mag and the 9c holds 9 rounds. I carry other pistols most of the time but for 9mm the sr goes bang every time. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Really should decide on an operating mode (single,  double, double action only, decock, std safety, striker fired w or w/o safety)

Wow, lots to think about.  I'll have to research some of this ^^^.  I think I would like one with a safety.  I am making a list of some to go check out locally (if I can find them!)

1 hour ago, bitty said:

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

preferably anonymously...

^^ Yes I will consider this as well !!

• Like 2