Hammers and Sharp things ?

Sledgehammer

8 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I bought it at a sale. I like a straight claw better. This one is a 10oz. I’ve never figured out what the “ruger” on the side is for. I’d like a 14oz straight claw. 

9381D895-2F26-44B9-B7E5-DE38B9F9C546.jpeg

CC8BD539-8AD0-4AEA-8CA4-146E28B8FE65.jpeg

Pine tree castings is the ruger plant in new Hampshire. I have never seen that before but I suppose it is possible they did the investment casting for stilletto. They take outside contracts, it is also possible they have/had a partnership? Just a guess. 

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Pine tree castings is the ruger plant in new Hampshire. I have never seen that before but I suppose it is possible they did the investment casting for stilletto. They take outside contracts, it is also possible they have/had a partnership? Just a guess. 

I looked it up once to see if there was a partnership with firearm maker Ruger and couldn’t find anything. I really don’t know. I bought it slightly used and wish the claw was straight. But, it does a good job with lighter work and carries nicely in the hand and on the belt. I would swap it in a heartbeat for the one I want given the chance but as you can see, hammers don’t leave very often. I’m kinda like the hotel California for hammers. “You can check out any time you like but you can never leave”. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Thank You for that. I love this country and have a deep respect for those who have served it. I believe the only thing I should fear is God.  (And sometimes my wife ?)

Rest assured that you are not the only one, we are many, and hopefully enough to matter when all is said and done.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

https://redpowerphotos.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/monthly_2021_02/960A43D0-6E54-4DBB-9BCC-09D84F6ECBEC.jpeg.c3d0a61713a48deb316ef6b647ec22ba.jpeg

Is that Dixie Beer hatchet a sales promotion piece?

Very nice collection! 
How many sore thumbs have you had? ?

Yes. It came from an old man I used to trade with.  It’s cast and I just liked it because it was a hatchet. 

I think you can see my left thumb in a couple of those pictures. It got caught between the corner of a piece of channel iron and a 2lb hammer about two weeks ago. If I hadn’t been wearing welding gloves I would have had stitches and a broken thumb. ?

• Like 2

.....incredible   collection Todd......

..I have a few American axe's   that  have been collected over many years.....some refurbished   with a local , indigenous  timber, called "manuka".....very similar  to'' Utah Juniper"" in appearance......makes a great handle...although a lot more work that an American hickory handle.........

If I was there , looking at your collection of wood and steel...and you could see  the grin on my face.....I would say ...""Oh..come on Todd...get a grip, man...!! ""... but seeing as I am far away......I would never put that in print...in case the comment, which is meant  to be rather droll.....was misconstrued.....:rolleyes:...I guess it is a Kiwi thing....

Mike

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

The small Norlund double bit is a style known to have been used by early woodsman George Washington Sears or “Nessmuk” which was his pen name. He had the first one built by the Bushnell company for use in his travels. He was known for his light weight camp setups. The double bit had two different grinds allowing one side for processing firewood and the other with a finer edge geometry for skinning game and smaller camp chores.  The red paint is original to the hatchet. 

6E5736CD-727A-4A72-9CBC-9D90C2799EED.jpeg

Many early woodsmen carried hatchets used as an all around tool  to cut camp wood skin clean and proses game 

very nice collection Thank you so much for taking the time to lay it all out..

Is that an old post vice that is bolted to the cart?

1 hour ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

Is that an old post vice that is bolted to the cart?

Yes it is. I found something like that in a U-Toob video and thought I should make one. It has been very handy. I’ve got another large post vise mounted to a piece of I-Beam that is anchored to the floor. This is mobile and works great when you aren’t working near the other one. I buy the post vises are sales, make any missing parts and make sure they work correctly. The springs and wedges are commonly missing. 

That guy called Hammer is either:

The oldest young codger I know of, or;

The youngest old codger I know of????

No doubt-------he is on a tract to make Old Binder Guy's (Gary Yaeger) collection of plunder look minute.  Gary and I are 77---------Hammer has lots of years of collecting in front of him = piles and piles by age 77!!!???

And----he always has it restored and organized.

DD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know back when a guy used nails a good hammer was everything. My boys are amazed at how Dad can pound any bent crooked headed nail with his favorite hammer (which is a Plumb 16 oz.). Pounding nails is really days gone by. Really cool hammer collection Sledge.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Thank you Todd!!

And yes, I have been a bit busy lately.

Just trying to put fires out.  Unfortunately one literally as well as many figuratively...

Hope all was ok. Take care!

Man am I jealous!!   My favorite hammer was a little 10 oz Stanley ball pein from an old family friend.  Unfortunately I used it in the field this spring changing a wheel bearing and it got planted.  Walked the field for hours with no luck finding it. Lesson learned always take inventory before closing your toolbox!!!!

11 hours ago, Bdse25 said:

Man am I jealous!!   My favorite hammer was a little 10 oz Stanley ball pein from an old family friend.  Unfortunately I used it in the field this spring changing a wheel bearing and it got planted.  Walked the field for hours with no luck finding it. Lesson learned always take inventory before closing your toolbox!!!!

That stinks. I hate losing stuff like that and they never grow more when you plant them either.  My normal go-to that sits out on the bench right now is a 2.5lb vertical pein (weight with handle). I keep ball pein hammers in tractor toolboxes for utility work in the field.  

8AABEEF3-4F5F-4E1D-94FB-9F4FDABF1E7A.jpeg