Texas on ice

Steve C.

OK - how 'bout this?

There's good evidence that a recent EO afforded China access to some control over our power grid, and that it affected the situation in Texas.

I found an interesting, well documented article at gateway pundit about this.  Look it up if you're interested.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

A lot like no antifreeze in the truck when winter is coming. Broken snow shovel, no wood for the stove, just plain old caught with your pants down neglect

No doubt there was plenty of that.

23 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

8373F447-59CE-4716-98F6-D6D82CA3009E.jpeg.723934a4e80bf70303a019e2ec1a32e8.jpeg

I had this very discussion with my Mom yesterday about how he went to Cancun during all this. My response was " What was his presence going to do? Nothing. All they needed was another politician with their nose stuck in there. Him being in Cancun was probably the best place for him. Out of the way "

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

This thread is political.

No, this thread is not political.

Yes, this thread is political.

My vote is for line one and three.

• Haha 1

Sadly for less than the cost of the insurance deductible they could have had alternative heat setup in the house. 

My question is how far out of town did you have to get before it's not as big of a deal...ie have generators plowed own roads etc.

46 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

This thread is political.

Yes, this thread is political.

Dislike button.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

Iowaboy is right,   in my mind we all need to pay attention to whats going on around us

If we would just learn from history and stop apologizing for it. This applies to most all of our current events and so called crisis

• Like 5

In my area our power was cycled often enough so the furnace heat was fine, I never saw the temperature under 60F in the house. We have a fire place with NG fire starting  but I did not strike a spark in it. Only not having lights when the sun was down was an issue because I was not prepared. I found my flash light with dead batteries in the dark.  My real screw-up was not having a stand so I could run the RV generator that was in the garage. That would have solved most of the issues.  I also had a 3KW 28V input inverter but the batteries were in Arkansas in the RV.

I was at Walmart on Friday after I picked up 2 EA Group 31 AGMs from Oreilly Auto parts to power up the 3kw 28V Inverter. I would have had them earlier in the week but they had to be shipped from the local warehouse and the trucks didn't run because the roads were closed. All WM shelves were short of meat and dairy, so I purchased a set of 3/8" extensions and came home at that time the power had been on for 24 hours and the freeway was mostly free of snow.

I had a fun time driving the K2500 Suburban in the snow, reminded me of the fun times I had around Lake Tahoe when I lived in Northern California from 1964 until 1993.

Politicians and bad regimes were not the issue, I was at fault for not using the resources I had correctly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

A lot like no antifreeze in the truck when winter is coming. Broken snow shovel, no wood for the stove, just plain old caught with your pants down neglect

AGREED!   BUT for  the Utility Companies.  It was a conscious choice not to have valves/pipes/ switches etc installed that can operate properly  in a sub- freezing  environment.   AND  a conscious decision NOT to be connected to the national electric grid..... 

It comes down to a simple  formula I've heard for investing but have found it helps making many life decisions.  "Risk vs Reward".  How much risk are you taking vs how much reward?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oleman said:

In my area our power was cycled often enough so the furnace heat was fine, I never saw the temperature under 60F in the house. We have a fire place with NG fire starting  but I did not strike a spark in it. Only not having lights when the sun was down was an issue because I was not prepared. I found my flash light with dead batteries in the dark.  My real screw-up was not having a stand so I could run the RV generator that was in the garage. That would have solved most of the issues.  I also had a 3KW 28V input inverter but the batteries were in Arkansas in the RV.

I was at Walmart on Friday after I picked up 2 EA Group 31 AGMs from Oreilly Auto parts to power up the 3kw 28V Inverter. I would have had them earlier in the week but they had to be shipped from the local warehouse and the trucks didn't run because the roads were closed. All WM shelves were short of meat and dairy, so I purchased a set of 3/8" extensions and came home at that time the power had been on for 24 hours and the freeway was mostly free of snow.

I had a fun time driving the K2500 Suburban in the snow, reminded me of the fun times I had around Lake Tahoe when I lived in Northern California from 1964 until 1993.

Politicians and bad regimes were not the issue, I was at fault for not using the resources I had correctly.

Glad you faired well thru the event and survived unscathed!  Good call on not using the fireplace.  A fireplace with chimney without sealed glass doors or a way to collect/distribute heat is a Negative heat value on a modern homes temp.  Chimney draws all the heat out the room/home. 

A smart man learns from his mistakes,  A wise one learns from others mistakes.  

24 minutes ago, Edsfarms said:

AGREED!   BUT for  the Utility Companies.  It was a conscious choice not to have valves/pipes/ switches etc installed that can operate properly  in a sub- freezing  environment.   AND  a conscious decision NOT to be connected to the national electric grid..... 

It comes down to a simple  formula I've heard for investing but have found it helps making many life decisions.  "Risk vs Reward".  How much risk are you taking vs how much reward?

yes the blame lays with them I wonder if the rest of us will carry the burden because I believe we will. Nobody bails me out when risks I take bite me in the butt

Not to pick on or excuse anybody but sh!T can happen anywhere. 

At the pipeline at North Platte where I load fuel. They have something called (and this is way above my paygrade) a "power balancer"??? It makes sure the power coming in on all three lines of the 3ph is the same or balanced. 

Well when it hit -30 they found out it was only operational rated for -20.

They lost power when people were loading and it made for one heck of a mess computerwise. 

This will never happen there again, made sure of that. 

Yeah we all make mistakes, if you learn from it, make it right and never make the same again, well, that's just life. 

time to start righting mistakes that were made

• Like 1

Read this today I think it Washington Post but this terrible no matter where you live. So I guess if you did not lose power in Texas you may get to share in the suffering.

Many other households faced jaw-dropping electrical bills from some of the state’s increasingly popular variable-rate plans, which charged thousands of dollars for a few days of power as wholesale energy prices soared.

The plans offer a potentially lower-cost alternative to traditional fixed-rate energy payments, but the outages quickly raised havoc. One company, Griddy, said it was forced to raise its prices to 300 times higher than the normal wholesale rate, meaning a typical $2-a-day household would face more than $600 in daily charges.

I thrive and shine in these situations. Marine Corp taught me well and my family was safe and warm with power or without power. Had plenty of diesel, had plenty of LPG to cook and heat house with central heat and/or wall heaters and secondary. trucks were full of fuel, generator was ready to go with extra gas, feeding tractor cranked, my cows got fed, granddads cows got fed, checked on my mom and 87yr old granddad 2x daily, plenty of food stocked up, water pipes prepped as much as they could be. I didnt loose any calves, stock ponds ice was cut daily, brisket chilli taste 10x better when its 0* outside. I dont feel sorry for ANY ONE who was caught with their pants down and couldnt take care of their family and property. 

The only iron i saw for a few days was older iron getting the daily jobs done around here. None of the new diesel crap worked. All gelled up and dead on ice. 

It is what it is. Live and learn, take what you have and make it work, improvise, adapt and over come, what doesnt kill you makes you tougher. 

20210215_103112.jpg

20210215_104703.jpg

20210215_064444.jpg

20210214_145828.jpg

20210215_150317.jpg

20210215_104923.jpg

20210218_181349.jpg

20210215_175601.jpg

20210216_141443.jpg

20210215_105032.jpg

• Like 10