1 hour ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

The filter when I took the picture had been in the shop trash all day and it got up to 25 or so and the snot was still all on it.

So here is another oddity about the behavior of diesel, cold and all of that.  It seems if diesel waxes and the filter loads up with that wax, it takes a higher temp to get rid of that wax than what temp the wax formed at.  Haven’t scientifically confirmed this, but seems to be what I’ve seen.

• Like 2

I run only premium #2 with Howe’s all winter long. It was -30 a couple mornings last week and my loader tractor sits outside.  I haven’t had any gelling issues (knock on wood) and haven’t bought #1 in a number of years. I usually add Howe’s to one of my bulk tanks in September so I know it’s good and mixed in by the time the cold weather rolls around then only fill out of that tank until spring. 

2 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

So here is another oddity about the behavior of diesel, cold and all of that.  It seems if diesel waxes and the filter loads up with that wax, it takes a higher temp to get rid of that wax than what temp the wax formed at.  Haven’t scientifically confirmed this, but seems to be what I’ve seen.

I don’t know if you can ever get a filter “ungelled”! I have tried Power Service 911 when I froze everything up on the ranch, and never could get the filter thawed out. Seams like the wax embeds in the filter. 911 is a miracle cure for OOPSIES!

4 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

I run only premium #2 with Howe’s all winter long. It was -30 a couple mornings last week and my loader tractor sits outside.  I haven’t had any gelling issues (knock on wood) and haven’t bought #1 in a number of years. I usually add Howe’s to one of my bulk tanks in September so I know it’s good and mixed in by the time the cold weather rolls around then only fill out of that tank until spring. 

Same here we used to run cenex number 2 field master most of the winter. Though this year we filled every tractor  with no1 in dec and haven’t used much up . Our cenex quit their field fuel island and other station had no 1 farm fuel by then. We always had the best luck with good no 2 filled in bulk tank in sept. But we never left home much either. A

7 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I don’t know if you can ever get a filter “ungelled”! I have tried Power Service 911 when I froze everything up on the ranch, and never could get the filter thawed out. Seams like the wax embeds in the filter. 911 is a miracle cure for OOPSIES!

Well, we have to maybe be careful about terminology here as I think there is a difference between gelling and waxing maybe?  Waxing occurs first?  Anyway, I have had my Case 1835B diesel plug the inline fuel filter a number of times with wax or gel what ever it is and have successfully “thawed” my way out of trouble with a heat gun and sometimes some gasoline.  It is a clear filter so I can see what is going on inside.  Had several incidents with the same filter.  I do suspect that waxing or gelling leaves a small amount a permanent residue that might reduce max filter flow.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Well, we have to maybe be careful about terminology here as I think there is a difference between gelling and waxing maybe?  Waxing occurs first?  Anyway, I have had my Case 1835B diesel plug the inline fuel filter a number of times with wax or gel what ever it is and have successfully “thawed” my way out of trouble with a heat gun and sometimes some gasoline.  It is a clear filter so I can see what is going on inside.  Had several incidents with the same filter.  I do suspect that waxing or gelling leaves a small amount a permanent residue that might reduce max filter flow.  

I probably agree with you. Always seems like after they plug the first time, they just plug easier the next time. 
I used to have a 7045 Allis, and if I ever plug, waxed iced or whatever, the filter on it, the next time it would plug WAY SOONER!

Here’s what my filter looked like Friday. Truck would start and run for a few minutes then die. I poured howes directly into the filter housing and it would start again for a few minutes. After 3 times of this I put a heater on one of my tanks that was in the shade then moved the heater to the filter housing. The wax is on the backside of the filter that the heater wasn’t blowing on. I’ve never seen this before but it’s also the coldest temps we’ve had in my lifetime and any other time I was in that kind of cold I drove through it. Finally I changed the filter. 

9C3D654E-D4C8-4094-A554-C8E6F0AAC9AB.jpeg

0C34D9F6-7CD7-4EDE-8281-40CC7832D358.jpeg

Could be but I don’t think so. When it first died you couldn’t read the filter number it was so cloudy then after the heat I could read the filter and could see that build up on the back side. Now the fuel has a normal clear yellowish look to it again.