5488 Brakes

twp460

Looking for some input on a 5488 2wd with very touch brakes.  All you have to do is barely touch them and they will lock up tires.  It will do this to each side individually or when they are together.  I have checked the pins and linkage, all is free and the spools are returning all the way into valve.  It's like they are full on or off with almost no pedal pressure.

Thanks in advance

5 hours ago, twp460 said:

Looking for some input on a 5488 2wd with very touch brakes.  All you have to do is barely touch them and they will lock up tires.  It will do this to each side individually or when they are together.  I have checked the pins and linkage, all is free and the spools are returning all the way into valve.  It's like they are full on or off with almost no pedal pressure.

Thanks in advance

Are you still using Hytran oil in it ? some off brands don't have the right additives for wet brakes 

• Like 1

My 52 and 54 are like that.  As soon as you feel the pedal push back you know that the wheels are almost locking up.

The 54 brakes used to chatter on field turns when the hy tran was warmed up.  A couple bottles of additive from the dealer fixed that problem 

Back around either 2010 or maybe it was ‘11, when I was back home visiting from living in the UAE, I got the chance to run a dualed up 5288 (2WD) in a field, tillage work. I had to use the brakes lightly to assist in turns on the headlands. I thought they were very aggressive or grabby. I was thinking W_F. Lol. I thought something must be wrong with it compared to my older IH tractors or my CIH 7220 MAGNUM at the time. I asked the guy about it and he said he was used to it and he didn’t seem concerned about it. Ohhhhh-kayyyyy..... lol... But yeah I thought those brakes sucked. That was the only time in my life I got to run an ‘88 series tractor, in the field not on the road.

Well, I did get to drive Danny’s “5388” at the Red Power Round Up in Ohio a while back, as well as his first 1086 built. Thanks again Danny. 

But yeah regarding the “5388”, that would have had CIH MAGNUM brakes on it, not IH ‘88 series brakes. (Was there a difference in the brakes design between the IH ‘88 series and the CIH MAGNUMS?) 

Yes, this tractor has always been like this since I owned it.  It was even like this when the gear pump was getting weak and needing replaced.  After the new pump last year it was still the same.  I had a 5288 around 10 years ago and don't remember it being like this.  I have grown custom to it and know how to apply them, the problem is when I have someone else in it and they are running down the road with it.  In the field it's not a big issue, just traveling the roads and giant hills.