how good is it really?

Hello, so took delivery of hytran yesterday, still getting the old viscosity brand, needed a bunch to change oil in 7120 which is in the hospital right, now guy said waiting to get tanks set up for the shell product, as conversation continued he said he delivers oil 2 days a week, the other days are between the store transfers, he said what is really selling is the Kubota line of equipment, regular machinery is slow, cant keep up with the  Kubota stuff, so same thing the small dealer told me a coupe of months ago, over 400 tractors sold the last year, they are between 2 cities where a lot of people drive by to work, so small hobby and rural living people are doing the buying? farms not so much? so probably more return business from the sale of a small tractor than from a larger model, i would guess after a tractor purchase you would need implements behind it?

Well, in the good old days, tractors were 160 hp or less, which is right in Kubota's wheelhouse for people who don't need anything bigger. Who can afford a combine any more? But Kubota has haying equipment.

I guess the question is how good is the ag economy?  Not great that is for sure.  Livestock prices generally stink unless you are the meat retailer.  Dairy farmers have taken lots of blows here the last several years.  Everyone says farmers are going to make a mint on commodities but with all the uncertainty out there taking on unnecessary debt in the form of anything but real estate seems foolish to me.  A major regional drought could hurt some while helping other regions.  Some will make the decision to get out rather then operate as at a loss.  As a group farmers are resilient and will find a way.  There will always be a way but traditional farming isn't getting easier.  

Speaking about Kubota we aren't terribly far from Messicks.  They have to be one of the top Kubota dealers out there.  Just my gut but Kubota seems to make well made reliable machines.  It only makes sense that they have a hay tool line.  The horse people will use Kubota hay tools with their Kubota tractors and a good dealer will move some sales into the main stream hay farmer.

Does Kubota make its own hay equipment or is it another make that is re-branded?

33 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Does Kubota make its own hay equipment or is it another make that is re-branded?

Kubota bought Kneverland 3 4 years ago.  Iirc they are German (or dutch) and have good rep.  Across line here there are quite a bit of Kneverland tillage and forage stuff.  Not as much as say Agco but quite a bit nonetheless.  Kubotas are reliable and tough tractors.  The newer models face same issues as every color....emissions and lower calibur build quality.  That being said most small tractor buyers locally say if you demo red, blue, orange, green, yellow, and other shade of red (branson) you will always pick Kubota.  Local dealer sells million per year orange paint.  And yep... the guy now neeeeds a blade, brush hog, bale fork for small bales, harrow, box blade, pallet forks, rottatiller, and rear fancy ballast wt for piling horse manure.  From source the markup on that type stuff is amazing vs a 25' disc and $180k tractor.   So the dealers provide what the marker ask for.  Here there is more small tractor buyer than all the farmers combined.  And dairy here isnt buying anything.  Berries are in a big shift of margins, and seed spuds are just 3 growers who do 3 year flips on leases it appears.

The 5ac folks are easy pickings.  Its way cheaper to rent what you need 6x a year than buy one.  But theae folks buy and run 8 to 10hr a year.  Whatever works i guess

• Like 2

My brother in law bought a new kabota to hay with a few years ago. I guess he’s had problems with it though. I don’t know what has happened with it but my sister said it needs to go down the road. 

also our township was able to rent a new holland  tractor about 80 hp for 500 dollars a year, we are able to put on about 150 to 200 hours during summer,, other townships will rent much bigger ones, the theory for the dealer is he said he can knock off 8 per cent off of the price when he gets it back, comment was well that hobby guy might of just got his truck paid for, so this 50 k tractor isnt so bad, we were told this year the price has gone up to 1200 dollars, still for 200 hours not a bad deal, we get one with a loader and use it for mowing ditches. 

The Kubota construction side has been picking up greatly too. We bought a new wheeled skid steer almost 2 years ago. Been trouble free so far. No major complaints with it other then being not quite as capable as our case. 

I know I looked at a vermeer disc mower and it was a vicon design. So they must of bought out them too guessing. 

We have had a m9000 for about 10-12yrs. It has been flawless. In that time it has needed batteries, serviced, a few hoses on the loader, a shuttle lever on dash, and that's it. 

It's the only tractor on my uncles farm, so heavy loader work. I've adjusted the clutch a few times.

If every kubota was as good as that one I'd own another one hands down. 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:21 PM, Tmtbob said:

My brother in law bought a new kabota to hay with a few years ago. I guess he’s had problems with it though. I don’t know what has happened with it but my sister said it needs to go down the road. 

A friend of mine bought a 100 horse Kubota with a loader.

It became a shop queen.

He spent thousands and thousands of dollars on it and sold it on retirement sale for a terrible loss.

He wished he had never seen one, ever!

• Confused 1

Hard to find a guy to say anything bad about orange stuff around here.  I have no experience myself, but I know guys who have smaller 80-100hp loader models....ran by hired help that -Run- them in shifts around the  clock doing feed/barn chores. I’ve never seen one leave on a truck for repair.

I worked the parts counter for a CNH/Kubota dealer for three years in South Dakota. The red/blue tractors seamed to always be back in the shop with warranty work while the Kubota ones never came back. There was a problem with rear wheel bolts on the Kubotas that was quickly fixed and never did go any farther. From my experience there, the Kubota line is a top contender in the 100-125 HP lineup.

• Thanks 1
On 2/20/2021 at 2:49 PM, TroyDairy said:

Local dealer sells million per year orange paint.  And yep... the guy now neeeeds a blade, brush hog, bale fork for small bales, harrow, box blade, pallet forks, rottatiller, and rear fancy ballast wt for piling horse manure.  From source the markup on that type stuff is amazing vs a 25' disc and $180k tractor.   

The 5ac folks are easy pickings.  Its way cheaper to rent what you need 6x a year than buy one.  But theae folks buy and run 8 to 10hr a year.  Whatever works i guess

If you want to make a living, sell people what they need. If you want to get rich, sell what they WANT!

• Like 1
On 2/20/2021 at 7:27 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

The Kubota construction side has been picking up greatly too. We bought a new wheeled skid steer almost 2 years ago. Been trouble free so far. No major complaints with it other then being not quite as capable as our case. 

Here the skids and excavators are king for under 10ton   Have been for decade.  The mini/midi are hands down the standard for others.  Our dealer sold 70 skids in 1st 12m they were avail.  Claims most have got 2nd and or another.

Deere announced that their 1st quarter net income doubles due to a 23% gain in net sales.  They noted improved conditions in agricultural and construction sectors.  There was a lot of government money that went to farmers around here this year.  There must be some buying going on.