Mini Hay Press

andrewn269

Machine used to make small scale decorative bales.    Basically a scaled down old stationary baler. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

Machine used to make small scale decorative bales.    Basically a scaled down old stationary baler. 

Ahhhh...  For the money they get out of those little bales, I should build one too!!  Buy one regular bale and make 100 small ones and sell the small ones for the same price as a big bale.  It's genius! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Ahhhh...  For the money they get out of those little bales, I should build one too!!  Buy one regular bale and make 100 small ones and sell the small ones for the same price as a big bale.  It's genius! 

until its not... you have to incure niche traveling customers and have the bto outlet to do good

local, is a bazaar china junk mall, they drive in/hire  taxi from 50 miles.

they tried making own, and were going to build a press type as above

they only sell + - 1500 yr at $6

so we make them in a  regular baler , 4=1 $3 ,clean up junk on plastic twine 

also 6 area corn maize's tried in house ,then went to purchased then no item sales.

I was thinking a mini hay press would be a scaled down model of the original hay presses out there.  

A mini baler makes decorative bales to sell vs a hay press is more for show.  We have a mini baler.  It is possible to move quite a few mini bales with some effort.

I think sitting at a show making the bales is probably more profitable than actually selling them retail. Just seeing them in the store will get some buyers, but watching them get made will get interest from those who wouldn’t pick one off the shelf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrewn269 said:

Here is video of one is 1/3 scale of original. these bales bring good money, just have to market them 

I'd call that a baler, not a hay press.

There's money in those small bales.  Ignore the skeptics. 

I know someone who has a mini baler. I don’t think he has used it in a couple years, sounded like good money at first, but in reality trying to move any quantity of the mini bales proved difficult. He tried getting them into a couple larger big box type stores, but they didn’t want to pay much etc. Good luck if you find one!

5 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Pretty sure Farm Show magazine has featured some of these mini balers over the years.

yes they did,  My Father In Law built ours and it was featured in Farm Show,  Still have it, still use it.  Bales sell well at Tractor shows and especially well at pumpkin patches.  We get around 20 bales out of 1 regular bale.  At $4 each thats $80 a bale

IMG_1645.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grampas30 said:

yes they did,  My Father In Law built ours and it was featured in Farm Show,  Still have it, still use it.  Bales sell well at Tractor shows and especially well at pumpkin patches.  We get around 20 bales out of 1 regular bale.  At $4 each thats $80 a bale

IMG_1645.JPG

Have you done any math on the labor of making those bales? Obviously they are more valuable but does it justify the extra work?

• Like 1

I sell 400 bales of oat straw a year to a local landscape center. 100 of them are 1/2 bales. I re-set my length of bale trip arm stop and back off the bale tension. They are actually square bales and are cute. They say the older ladies really like them because they are so light.

• Like 1

When we were kids.  Wow...us boys were like 12 10 5 when we did it.  Made plywood scraps 1/16 bale size hay press.  Hand pound the hay in and use a piece of fence wire and needle nose for tying.  Wonder wear it went?  We made alot of hay for our pretty impressive toy farm in the back yard.

• Like 1

This is what we have.  Bales fit 10 to a layer and we sell them 50 to a pallet.  It is possible to field bale or stationary bale.  The most I can get done in a day with a helper is 1000 bales and I am really tired after that.  

Screenshot_20210220-002908.png

39 minutes ago, 806 man said:

Here is the baler with the magic, I think it is 12x14x28

A20616BA-0545-4D8F-831C-1B0FBCDA8BC0.jpeg

E76E1BC9-3294-456A-97D5-9182A4CA030C.jpeg

184035E1-59B6-49E5-BDE6-CA639FFACF2A.jpeg

If I remember right that is actually a factory produced machine.   The New Holland in my post is redone by an Amish company.

19 hours ago, brewcrew said:

Have you done any math on the labor of making those bales? Obviously they are more valuable but does it justify the extra work?

Not my Intent, I get to spend all day at a show usually with family, and I make enough to haul my tractors and the baler, buy tie wire, and feed everybody.  Got a rope maker too, just let the kids make a rope out of baler twine and give it to them, makes them happy. Makes us happy. Thats all its worth. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

If I remember right that is actually a factory produced machine.   The New Holland in my post is redone by an Amish company.

Deere High density baler. It makes a nice tight bale. Problem is there isn't factory made accumulator which works with the bale size. One way is to pull a wagon which would be a slow process . The price of labor eats any profit.  If your wife is retired she could do the easy part of stacking the bales.?

13 hours ago, 806 man said:

Deere High density baler. It makes a nice tight bale. Problem is there isn't factory made accumulator which works with the bale size. One way is to pull a wagon which would be a slow process . The price of labor eats any profit.  If your wife is retired she could do the easy part of stacking the bales.?

If you can do vid of Jen stacking behind you on that baler and 806 I would appreciate seeing that.  I will file it under my "Actual Bigfoot photos, Unicorn fence ideas, and Intelligent Democrat Gov photos" here.

• Haha 2