Been watching a few custom car building shows on Motor Trend TV due to shi++y weather outside lately. Noticing many of the shop owners and their employees

wear baseball caps with flat bills and the body of the hat pulled down over their ears, (not ear flaps). Just wondering if there's any significance to doing that? Your thoughts? 

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, The New Number One said:

Been watching a few custom car building shows on Motor Trend TV due to shi++y weather outside lately. Noticing many of the shop owners and their employees

wear baseball caps with flat bills and the body of the hat pulled down over their ears, (not ear flaps). Just wondering if there's any significance to doing that? Your thoughts? 

They just don't know how to wear a cap.  And they call them hats, which is inaccurate.

Guess they like the ghetto look.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, The New Number One said:

I got in a...scuffle.. with some homies in the cafeteria line in college over numerous things but they decided to take it to the next level when i made fun of their stupid hats, asking if they didn't have wind where they came from, because where i live a hat like that would blow off. 
i think it is a fashion statement.. not sure what that might be.. but its not one I would choose to state. 

• Haha 1

From my limited knowledge of such things I believe it is a ‘Gangsta’ look, similar to that wonderful fashion statement of wearing your pants down below the cheeks of your a$$.

Usually, but not always, affected by certain racial groups, which in turn is copied by other racial groups in a effort to be ‘cool’.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I still haven't figured out why most men grow one of many versions of goatees. 

Dad asked me when growing my first moustache if I was too [as VTF would say] GD lazy to shave.

And why do all the white boys wanna look like shifties?

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, MTO said:

Dad asked me when growing my first moustache if I was too [as VTF would say] GD lazy to shave.

A quote " women and youth don't have facial hair, I am neither" Phil Robertson 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, MTO said:

because they are city boys most of them and dont know any different - they dont have any other way of making a statement since they dont have a job and they are still living with mama at 30 but my conspiracy theory may be politically incorrect 

• Haha 6

Hat covers your eyes so impaired sight, ears impaired hearing and pants down to your knees so you can’t run, oh ya your something but don’t think bad is it?

• Haha 5
4 hours ago, MTO said:

A friend used to ask "Why are you cultivating around your mouth what grows wild around your arse?"

• Like 1

The crown of the baseball cap should top your head, leaving a little space between your head and the cap. A baseball cap should fit on your head so that it will not come off with a wind gust yet won't leave a mark on your forehead.

There is my opinion, and basically I will bet its an east coast/west coast north/south thing depending on which show you are watching, I grew up urbane and have worn a cowboy hat since the late 60s, not to many guys wore them then and did I care, nope, people being people.

what shows are you watching? We don't get motor trend, but we have velocity, there's 6 or 8 car shows there that I like then Barrett Jackson, my kind of march madness.

• Like 1

I read the topic to this thread and thought "Nope. None of those here. Fresh out."

• Like 1

I chalk the flat brim up to the SoCal look.  The greater-LA area is where flat brimmed New Era caps seemed to originate.  The look seemed to move to New York and then to the rest of the country.  I have no proof, but just an observation from traveling around the country during its growth.  The SoCal car culture has had the look for a number of years.  I was at the SEMA show in Las Vegas about five years ago and flat brims were everywhere.

I guess that the the down over the ears thing is due to the prime importance of a flat bill over a good fit.  Few people have heads of the same shape, so when a flat-brimmed cap is worn "correctly" the bill will curl slightly.  Unacceptable to the wearer.  The solution is to wear it loose and let it drop down over the ears.

• Like 1

For a little perspective, whatever you choose to wear now was once considered too "avant garde" for a certain generation of the population. You wear blue jeans? Denim is for POOR PEOPLE. You're not poor, get some proper slacks. A ball cap? Did you just fall off the turnip truck? You should be wearing a proper fedora!

People wear what they wear because they know it ****** off old people and makes them complain.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

For a little perspective, whatever you choose to wear now was once considered too "avant garde" for a certain generation of the population.

True to an extent.  Baseball caps with curved visors (technical term for bill) are more functional in that they work better for their intended purpose of keeping the sun (and wind and rain) out of  your eyes, and they stay on better.  The flat brimmed baseball "hats" work better to make sure everyone knows you are a conforming trend follower.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

True to an extent.  Baseball caps with curved visors (technical term for bill) are more functional in that they work better for their intended purpose of keeping the sun (and wind and rain) out of  your eyes, and they stay on better.  The flat brimmed baseball "hats" work better to make sure everyone knows you are a conforming trend follower.

That must be why those flat bill hats don’t fit my head correctly.....?

Every time someone gives me one, I set it on my head and feel like Hoss from Bonanza. I dont have enough hair or brains to fill up that empty space up there. I’ve never figured out someone tucking their ears into a hat unless it gets really cold. I guess a flat billed 10 gallon “cool” hat just isn’t for me...?

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Every time someone gives me one, I set it on my head and feel like Hoss from Bonanza. I dont have enough hair or brains to fill up that empty space up there. I’ve never figured out someone tucking their ears into a hat unless it get really cold. I guess a flat billed 10 gallon “cool” hat just isn’t for me...?

its the other way around for me i gotta fat head i could never get one over my ears

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

From my limited knowledge of such things I believe it is a ‘Gangsta’ look, similar to that wonderful fashion statement of wearing your pants down below the cheeks of your a$$.

Usually, but not always, affected by certain racial groups, which in turn is copied by other racial groups in a effort to be ‘cool’.

Sure befuddles me why anyone would want to imitate the "Gansta" look. It's now pretty plain to see the counrty is a lot further gone than it seemed even a year ago. Just sad.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Every time someone gives me one, I set it on my head and feel like Hoss from Bonanza. I dont have enough hair or brains to fill up that empty space up there. I’ve never figured out someone tucking their ears into a hat unless it gets really cold. I guess a flat billed 10 gallon “cool” hat just isn’t for me...?

"Form follows function" applies to curved brim caps, but doesn't apply to the flat brimmed things.

• Like 2

Maybe the movies or TV propagate the look, much like the gangsta hold the gun sideways whilst you shoot at other gangstas, guaranteed to cause collateral damage and kill innocents. 

10 minutes ago, New Englander said:

Maybe the movies or TV propagate the look, much like the gangsta hold the gun sideways whilst you shoot at other gangstas, guaranteed to cause collateral damage and kill innocents. 

It shoots the same sideways and upside down as long as you use the sights the same. Holding it like a movie thug doesn’t mean innocents will be harmed. It’s operator error that causes collateral damage. 

• Thanks 1

My son showed up at my house in one of those cursed "hats" one day.  Now, I wore a ball cap for years (we called them farmer hats).  I quit because I noticed that all my family members who wore them all the time seemed to be losing their hair.... without any scientific evidence, I quit wearing hats just in case.  I don't care what color my hair is, as long as I have hair!  

Anyway, my son showed up in one of those hats.  I promptly removed it from his head and, while he wide eyed watched in horror, I curved that bill like it should be.  Then adjusted it to fit his head and told him that your ears go on the outside of the hat.  He, nearly crying, said it wasn't supposed to be bent like that and that I may have torn up his brand new "flat brim" hat.  He then told me it cost like $20 and that Grammy (my mother) had bought it for him.  I told him to wear it like I just set it up, or I never wanted to see that hat again!  Then I called my mother..... and no hats like that were ever seen on my boy, or my step sons head again.  

17 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

It shoots the same sideways and upside down as long as you use the sights the same. Holding it like a movie thug doesn’t mean innocents will be harmed. It’s operator error that causes collateral damage. 

I feel like in general, bone heads with guns cause collateral damage. I also feel like anyone holding their gun sideways is a bone head.. i think it is a self fulfilling prophecy.