5488 rear axle seal

I have a 5488 that is leaking around the rear axles on both sides. Is this the same axle as the Magnums with the cursed O-ring under everything that may or may not actually be the seal leaking?  I’ll probably replace the seals anyway and hope for the best. 
While I have them off I plan to flip the centers around. How heavy is the center casting if I take the tire and rim off?  I’ll be working alone doing this, I want to have a plan before I start. 

It’s just a seal in there- no o ring. I did mine last winter. I took the tire and rim off then used a cherry picker to take off the wheel center. They are pretty heavy. I don’t know exactly how heavy but if I had to guess I would say 500# +

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

It’s just a seal in there- no o ring. I did mine last winter. I took the tire and rim off then used a cherry picker to take off the wheel center. They are pretty heavy. I don’t know exactly how heavy but if I had to guess I would say 500# +

That is what I was wondering, thanks. I can handle the tire and rim assembly and I have a cherry picker that should handle the center casting. I’m glad to hear that it is just the seal—the Magnum got rather expensive to replace the O-rings, as they are the first piece that goes onto the axle-from the inside. 

58 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Use the loader Ron, they are heavy and always want to tip.

A good idea, Matt, but not the easiest to do when I’m working alone. 
Edit—which way do they tip? Towards the side that faced out from the factory?

Edited by ihrondiesel
Added
25 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

I am guessing they have a good bit of weight and they look as stable as a game of Jenga . I would check the axle with a dial indicator and a hoist once you have it off the ground. Sometimes the seals leak because of the axle bearing getting loose, sometimes it is bale string that takes a seal out. Sometimes it's just aging of the seal that is it's demise 

Yes--do check for play in the bearings.  Permit me a moment of envy that you get to do axle seals on bar axles--I have a tractor that leaks at both rear axle seals--and the bugger has flange axles--have to take the whole mess apart to renew the seals. Frown.

• Sad 1
On 2/17/2021 at 7:10 PM, ihrondiesel said:

Cherry picker maybe, as far as tipping I guess they were set both ways so my explanation is they will always land like a bowl if they tip over. Make sense? 

1 hour ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Edit, I should have said cherry picker "yes" not maybe. 

Good to know, probably safer than getting out of the Skidloader to hook up the chain. 

On 2/17/2021 at 7:41 PM, bitty said:

I would check the axle with a dial indicator and a hoist once you have it off the ground.

Can you expound on this for my simple untrained mind?  I’ve seen it discussed on the forum here but I’m a self-taught mechanic, haven’t got to that lesson yet. 

4 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Can you expound on this for my simple untrained mind?  I’ve seen it discussed on the forum here but I’m a self-taught mechanic, haven’t got to that lesson yet. 

I don't have any pictures but I can try to explain it. Magnetic Base on a dial indicator stick to the axle housing. Touch the axle with the indicator. With it jacked up off the ground zero the indicator then try to lift the axle up and note if the indicator changes 

5 hours ago, bitty said:

I don't have any pictures but I can try to explain it. Magnetic Base on a dial indicator stick to the axle housing. Touch the axle with the indicator. With it jacked up off the ground zero the indicator then try to lift the axle up and note if the indicator changes 

Ok, that makes sense to me, trying to measure the amount of play in the axle bearings. Thanks much!

• Like 1

On my 5088 axle play was obvious just by jacking up the tractor. Because the bearings are preloaded and I understand you need a large press I wasn't comfortable doing it myself so I removed the whole axle housing and brought it to the ih dealer. They treated me fair since they didn't have time in removing the housing and tying up shop space. 

4 hours ago, KY2674 said:

On my 5088 axle play was obvious just by jacking up the tractor. Because the bearings are preloaded and I understand you need a large press I wasn't comfortable doing it myself so I removed the whole axle housing and brought it to the ih dealer. They treated me fair since they didn't have time in removing the housing and tying up shop space. 

If someone has the capability of splitting the tractor most places that have the press will do the work and let you haul them back home to reinstall

On 2/17/2021 at 4:12 PM, ihrondiesel said:

93ECF847-523D-4143-9072-54D7776A98A9.jpeg

E17C4E74-AFC5-44D8-BA0B-B6CFE2E2A927.jpeg

Doesn't hardly look like its leaking much in your pics