310 german diesel thermostat swap

i got this 756 310 german diesel with this canister style thermostat. ive found a few but none that actually works. i heard a fella could swap out the coolant rail with a thermostat houseing on it from another motor. if somebody could lead me in the right direction, itll be great

26 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Why are you wanting to change it?  What's wrong with the thermostat housing on it?  

J the 706 german did not incorperate a thermostat housing in the water manifold. The thermostat was in its own brass canister and replaced as a unit. They were always expensive and I assume nla now. Eventually they changed this and incorporated a normal thermostat housing in the water manifold. I do not know when the change took place. Certainly by the 686 version. It's also possible 358 manifolds would fit but I don't know this.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

J the 706 german did not incorperate a thermostat housing in the water manifold. The thermostat was in its own brass canister and replaced as a unit. They were always expensive and I assume nla now. Eventually they changed this and incorporated a normal thermostat housing in the water manifold. I do not know when the change took place. Certainly by the 686 version. It's also possible 358 manifolds would fit but I don't know this.

Ahhhhh.  I actually did not know that.  Only ones I ever was around/worked on had it in the manifold.  I learned something. 

would the 358 manifolds be the route get get rid of the brass canister thermostat? or is there more to change out. otherwise my plan is to keep the brass thermostat stuck open, because right now i have a 30-30 casing stuck in the thermostat and install a inline thermostat houseing in the hose going to the radiator. if i dont find another way

Can't answer your question. I had as much luck finding engines today on the part site as I did bottoms a couple days ago. I do not know if the 358 manifolds fit. I only mentioned them as I think they would be more plentiful than 310's with the later manifold. The fault with your alternate plan lies with the bypass. It needs to be open when thermostat is closed and closed when thermostat is open. A thermostat in hose will not acomplish that.

By googling "d310 thermostat" I came across a link to thread on this forum of a guy who took his canister apart. Removed old thermostat and installed new one. Then soldered canister back together. I don't seem to be able to create links any better than I can use the parts site. The thread was dated january 2015 and does not indicate if bypass remained functional or not.

It appears late 756, late 715 as well as the h86 and 686 would have had the later style manifold.

Here is the thread snoshoe spoke of ,

706 german diesel thermostat update - General IH - Red Power Magazine Community

And here is a YT thread with part numbers for conversion

thermostat in 310 diesel from 706 - Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) Forum - Yesterday's Tractors

Here is a few pics of a D358 setup in a loader , I found a NOS DT358 and and put it in the old girl

I may have more pics if they might help

20150504_201451 (1024x768).jpg

dt358 verrill loader (2).jpg

20150425_142428 (1024x768).jpg

20150425_142505 (1024x768).jpg