Rolling blackouts?

How many of you are being shut down for a period of time by your electric company?

Just got a call from our local power company.  McLean Electric that Western Area Power will be shutting down substations for 45 minutes then move to the next. No time was given when this will start but it is thru Thursday.   There are 8-10( not sure without looking) substations for this coop. Wonder where our power is going? There is Hydro power from Garrison Dam and 5 coal fired plants within 50 miles of me.

Electric heat. Furnaces running non stop. Space heaters. People working from home this winter that were not last year. 

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Looked up Texas problem. Most of the plants that went off-line were fueled by coal, natural gas and nuclear power. 40 percent of Texas electricity comes from natural gas fired plants followed by wind turbins 23 percent, coal 18 percent and nuclear power 11 percent. I say maintenance and no up dates over many years is the problem

Sending power down south where there is suddenly much more demand. Go coal!  Maybe the Capitol Office buildings in DC should be the first place hit with blackouts. Look what happened when rioters showed up there, they quickly decided F— the Police wasn’t in their best interests.  Maybe if we cut their power we could get a couple more coal and nuclear plants built by the end of the week. 

I’m sitting at a truck stop right now waiting to hear if I can load cattle because Omaha has rolling blackouts affecting the beef plants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, supermpuller said:

Looked up Texas problem. Most of the plants that went off-line were fueled by coal, natural gas and nuclear power. 40 percent of Texas electricity comes from natural gas fired plants followed by wind turbins 23 percent, coal 18 percent and nuclear power 11 percent. I say maintenance and no up dates over many years is the problem

Could be part of the problem, you are correct. As per your numbers, the 23% of power coming from wind turbines may also be unavailable right now if they are being affected by ice. 

Just starting to run my ups labels this morning and poof. Lost power. Lyon REC said possibly this afternoon again. 

Gotta LOVE green energy and global whatever they call it this week!!!!!!!

It doesn't help that the upper midwest has a LOT of windmills that haven't turned a blade for almost a week due to a lack of wind!

(How often does that happen???)

Back going this morning...

Mike

So far things have been fine around here, though the co-op did have a brief planned outage this morning, said on the radio that they were switching feed from east to west, as more power was available there. Fortunately I heat with a wood stove, but would still rather not be out of power.