Wind turbines freeze in Texas???

Just saw on news where the Texas power grid is down because the wind turbines in west Texas are frozen.

Why has this phenonomen not happened before to the turbines installed before further north???

This is record breaking cold for the South and Texas------but in reality somewhat normal for ya'll in the northern regions.

?????what am I missing.

DD

• Haha 1

I saw a picture of a helicopter being used to spray a deicing solution onto the windmills. I’m wondering if what Texas is experiencing with this cold weather has more of an ice storm effect than just cold, therefore creating the problem and not the cold alone being the issues. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
18 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I saw a picture of a helicopter being used to spray a deicing solution onto the windmills. I’m wondering if what Texas is experiencing with this cold weather has more of an ice storm effect than just cold, therefore creating the problem and not the cold alone being the issues. 

?

1558186477_windturbine.thumb.jpg.4edbdaf87e709f384e0c53a7506563af.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
3 minutes ago, new guy said:

That is seriously stupid?

How most government money is spent.

I will say that is a better use of jet fuel than flying JK around to negotiate our greenness   

• Like 2

I talked with Roger Byrne in Mn tonight-------his thought was the turbines were shut down due to icing.

Seeing the pictures of the choppers spraying on de-icer better explains it to this otherwise uninformed Mississippi red-neck.

Thanks Sandhiller-----thanks Roger.

DD

Just as cold in Indiana and over 12 in. of snow and windmills doing fine same in VanWert Ohio witch powers the Ft. Wayne truck plant. Winter maintenance programs is a must before a   artic blast. You ever see drivers in Texas drive in snow and ice, one problem its hard to do going 75 plus. Texas needs to spend some money on there power grit because they get nailed every 8-10 years just like they did this time.

I don’t think you guys up north understand just how nasty the ice can get down there. I will take snow and blizzards any day over that crap!!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

My understanding is the southern wind turbines are not built to the same spec as northern turbines as far as cold weather capabilities. 

Could be, point taken

Our turbines here just went thru 2 big ice storms and never did shut down ----As for Texas---well big heads and no brains!

14 hours ago, new guy said:

They didn't switch to winter blades.

They are going to fix it by putting tire chains on the blades...?

• Haha 3

I heard that many coal, nuclear, and natural gas plants are in planed outages. They can’t just restart them because pipes are cut out and equipment is disassembled for maintence. They basically got caught with their pants down.

• Confused 2

As always and oft forgotten - Cash Is King - no way around it.

Green new deal, yeah ok, tell that to the 5 plus million people freezing their carcass off, with zero power, and those aficionados of the electronic banking system, bitcoin and other cyber forms of money, that no one can access, cause uh, ya know, their ain't no electricity ...... Can't even buy gas for your generator from a hand pumped tank cause, uh, there ain't no electricity to run your stupid debit/bank card. Buying food, uh, no electricity for transactions, and you didn't think far enough ahead to stash aside 3 months worth cause our just in time delivery system & high tech (electricity driven) gadgets will save you. 

Yeah how's that working out for ya Eh!

Thanks, but I'll stick with my cash & coin inna pocket just the same. I don't need no help, I can screw up my life very well all by myself, thank you.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

heard on the local news today by our public utilities Commissioner that onxe it gets to a certain temp below zero the wind towers no longer can produce, but in fact have to start drawing power to run  heaters to keep the hydraulic oil warm.  I live in northeast South Dakota and we have two wind projects going right now around 100 and some towers.  we had blackouts today. 1.75 hrs out -22° this am not having power not good on the cattle waterer.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

I don’t think you guys up north understand just how nasty the ice can get down there. I will take snow and blizzards any day over that crap!!

We had around 1/2" of ice over night . It's been in the 20's and below temperature lately so the ground is well frozen. We had a miserable time getting the state road good enough for the feed mixer to climb the hill . It's pulled behind a 7140 mfd with chains on the front tires 

• Like 1

I've noticed that the national media has not mentioned the fact that the wind turbines and solar farms aren't producing electricity. All they want to talk about is how the natural gas well not producing as much as they need to. Funny how that works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

First to shut down were coal, nuclear and natural gas plants  because of lack of weatherized of power plants that led to low pressure in gas lines and  and frozen instruments and generators. Texas also aggressively deregulated the power grid under Ercot to cut cost and over head rules. Solar power needs sun but the wind farms problem with icing wouldn't have happen if Texas would have done what OK , Kansas and northern states do , equipped the blades with heat  like jets do or use automatic deicer sprayers but they wanted to save money. The cause of the  disaster was a complete failure to plan for extreme weather  scenaries and save money.  The only think ERCOT worried about was to keep the AC going in the summer heat and hope for a mild winter.

• Sad 1