Removal of IH5088 PTO

ComancheStarFarms

Drain rear end oil or park down over a sharp bank, the remove bolts around outside of unit. In top right and lower left are (2) short bolts that hold the halves of unit together, if you pull one of these put it back in so unit doesn't separate. Once all long bolts are out grab shafts and give a big heave, be ready cause the beast weighs up pretty good. 

We used to back them up on loading dock, pull unit and head to shop. Rebuild unit and chuck it back in. Now older / smarter, pull them in shop and pump oil out using tractors system, take overhead hoist and pull unit, rebuild and use hoist to install. Pump oil back in tractor with filtration cart. At the end of the day I feel better and probably didn't take a bit longer, but back then I didn't have the common sense or correct tools. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Thank you very much for your clear guidance!  Just for clarification - the two short bolts - are they at the 2:00 & 8:00 positions?  When I loosen the bolts and remove them how do I know if they’re long or short before it’s too late?  Thanks again, Jonathan 

If I'm not mistaken, a short bolt won't be long enough to reach through to the rear end housing of the tractor if you match it up alongside the PTO unit. You'll be able to tell.

To be safe just start on the top left or lower right, completely opposite of the short bolts. Then you are 100% guaranteed to get a long bolt the first time, so you know what to look for.

You might want to check pressures back there before you pull it apart, at least so you have an idea of why it failed.

Got a good friend in this area who built himself a small table with top about level where the bottom of housing is. Makes sliding it backwards onto a platform much easier on the back.

11 hours ago, ComancheStarFarms said:

Where on the rear end can the PSI be checked & what kind of gauge & where to buy it?  You folks are excellent - go a long ways keeping red tractors working during pretty tight times.  IH Farmalls are worth keeping in the field thanks to you!  

The pressure gauge goes where this plug is, it’s up behind the implement light connector, not the most convenient place for a test port! Two 1/4” bolts hold the connector on, take them loose, swing the connector out of the way and your test port will be accessible.

For my tractors I took that plug out, took it to a hydraulic hose place and had a 2 foot hose made that goes to the 300lb gauge.

CC9AD16C-F31B-4FAA-A48D-C638867D581D.jpeg

D42E8203-4DD6-4A10-AFD5-1EC35E189CC5.jpeg

C01CF06C-3149-484A-A1BA-EAAFE0281229.jpeg

EC80F5F5-C260-4871-ADEC-C1411ADA4C2A.jpeg

• Like 2