How cold did it get.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had -28F according to the thermometer on the wall this morning at sunup.  Didn't take a pic.............don't want to remember.               ?             ?    

Bottineau  ND.   Northwest of Dale 560 60 miles or so

Posted Images

7 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

How deep are the water lines buried to handle that ? 

8 feet deep is the minimum typically for this area. Has to be insulated if it crosses a sanitary or storm sewer line.

Somewhat off topic, but the one thing that has not been on the local news are ...."house fires" ... usually every winter during a cold snap there is a house fire. Be it they stoked the woodstove to hot, plugged in a bunch if electric heaters, etc. But so far this cold snap it sounds like everyone has remained safe. 

• Like 1

It was 10 above here at 8AM when I went out to start moving snow with the Hydro 186. I guess that's warm compared to some of you guys. Supposed to be -5 tomorrow morning. 

BJ

5 hours ago, mikem said:

Normally at LEAST 8 feet....

Wow ,   4-5 ft is all we need in mass

Different than down there but this was when it hit -53 celcius here the other morning. Hopefully everyone down there catches a break soon 

Snapchat-611578545.jpg

We're nothing like the Canadians but we reached-10F this morning. Broke alot of daily records at many locations round here.

Our 6 inches of snow isn't leaving and there are very few snow plows. More road graders. No salt spreaders. Most everything is shut down for snow and energy conservation.

And I'm lambing outside! We've only lost two so far.

Were supposed to get another half foot tonight.

Thx-Ace 

• Sad 1

Got down to -17 Monday night here at the Des Moines airport. Had UPS and FedEx cancel flights. Tonight FedEx cancelled there flight because it was snowing in Memphis. American cancelled a few flights cause Dallas was having bad weather. Tonight we had to preload a few overnight  planes for American so they could run there APU's to keep planes warm. And our fuelers are out in it till they get done

On 2/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, junkandcattle said:

We had -10 last night and it is supposed a little worse tonight but the wind won't stop. Around -25 wind chill all day. So you have it worse temperature wise.

Still snowing too

-10 here too, dad had -15 in weatherby, cousin up between king city and stanberry had -22

side note, when i was a kid, my folks talked about snow waist deep in august and it was up hill 5 miles both ways to walk to school - of course they didnt have shoes either!!! never mentioned how cold it got 

2 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

-10 here too, dad had -15 in weatherby, cousin up between king city and stanberry had -22

No wind today YEAH we hit 13 and sunny. Son said the turbines over that way were not running this morning when he went through

4 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

side note, when i was a kid, my folks talked about snow waist deep in august and it was up hill 5 miles both ways to walk to school - of course they didnt have shoes either!!! never mentioned how cold it got 

They didn't have money for thermometers had to wet socks and see how long it took to freeze. Or it got so cold boulders broke or the cows froze in thier tracks. ?

25 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

No wind today YEAH we hit 13 and sunny. Son said the turbines over that way were not running this morning when he went through

yea i went out over lunch and ran the loader up/down the drive and pushed snow for about 45 mins - it was so nice out it hit 15 - bright and sunny, it was horrible windy past couple days - had stove way too hot for the sunshine today and no wind, i shut the pellet stove down at 200 and had not put wood in stove in basement since then, just went and stoked it for the night, its 72 in here good lord im never gonna get to sleep - we usually keep it around 62 in the winter, gets colder than that at night in our bedroom with door closed 

5 hours ago, dads706 said:

Somewhat off topic, but the one thing that has not been on the local news are ...."house fires" ... usually every winter during a cold snap there is a house fire. Be it they stoked the woodstove to hot, plugged in a bunch if electric heaters, etc. But so far this cold snap it sounds like everyone has remained safe. 

1 of my drivers has been out the last few days because his parents house burned on Sunday night. It still happens....just not near as often and not big enough to be "newsworthy" these days...

• Sad 1

At least the cold snap should put an end to the ice fishermen falling through the ice....

That's a BIG plus.

Mike

Howe’s that global warming working out for y’all ?  Like to meet the a-hole that coined that phrase and let him know ?

2 hours ago, smfarms said:

Howe’s that global warming working out for y’all ?  Like to meet the a-hole that coined that phrase and let him know ?

That's why the new term is climate change.

My part of Michigan this morning 

20210217_072743.jpg