Go coal

jimw

Locally our public power utility has announced that they are going to start a series of rolling blackouts. That makes no sense to me .  As soon as they announced that everyone went straight to their thermostats and cranked em up.  So please tell me How the heck this is going to help when everything has to run WFO to catch back up after an outage . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was talking to my neighbor and his sisters lives in Texas(don’t know where) and there power is on for an hour and off for an hour. She said there power comes from wind and they are not running the windmills or there broke down ?‍♀️because of the ice and weather. So how would we do that here in ice and cold weather land, If we get rid of fossil fuel?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Locally our public power utility has announced that they are going to start a series of rolling blackouts. That makes no sense to me .  As soon as they announced that everyone went straight to their thermostats and cranked em up.  So please tell me How the heck this is going to help when everything has to run WFO to catch back up after an outage . 

They have been shutting off up here at random locations this afternoon, 30 minutes at a time , we have not been off yet. I don't know if this is true or not but I was told that NPPD is sending some of our electricity to Texas to help them out so Wi ih post kinda makes sense .

• Like 1

Heard on local radio today that Cherry - Todd Elec Memb says to cut back usage between 7 to 930 in morning and at night or they will have to have blackouts. 

Don't ever remember that happening before. 

Guess if they do we will just be on Generac for the off hours. 

Can't imagine people being without power in this weather. 

• Like 4

Haven't had any blackouts here yet, but all the rural electric cooperatives and other power utility companies are urging everyone to conserve.

Brother works for a city electrical department about an hour west of here. Their backup generators have been running for 3 days now. Another guy I know works for a municipality about an hour from Sioux Falls...they've been running just as long on their Gen Sets.

Get used to it. It will be worse before it gets better. We have lost so much fossil fuel plants across the midwest that it will just keep getting worse. Between aging infrastructure and Sierra club were in serious trouble. And heres a thought to end this with. We have alot of ctg's (combined cycled gas units) that are sitting there ready to burn natural gas to make megawatts at the flip of a switch however during cold temps they regulate all gas usage to heating homes etc. So now what 

Local natural gas company is sending out advisories to cut gas usage during the cold snap.

Apparently their gas purchase arrangements are such that three days of heavy usage will exceed their allotment and incur heavy penalties. 

Sounds to me like the purchasing department needs to get its crap together.....a 3 day cold snap is nothing unusual around here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Yup, there’s your green deal...  How well is that working so far?

Just wait till they put it in high gear.  Between that and zero-emissions farming we'll have the opportunity to starve in the dark.

There are no limits to what will be done to make us miserable and compliant.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Another poem that seems to fit here  - well it mentions cold and coal 

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45081/the-cremation-of-sam-mcgee

That is one of my all time favorites ????

If u look at that miso pie it’s running at 91000 megawatts. Today only 88000. Our big wheel told us last year there’s 135009 available and if everyone turned on there lights it would top off at 105000. ??? So where did the 40000 bump go. Oh no gas or wind available?? Be careful out there  

12 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Get used to it. It will be worse before it gets better. We have lost so much fossil fuel plants across the midwest that it will just keep getting worse. Between aging infrastructure and Sierra club were in serious trouble. And heres a thought to end this with. We have alot of ctg's (combined cycled gas units) that are sitting there ready to burn natural gas to make megawatts at the flip of a switch however during cold temps they regulate all gas usage to heating homes etc. So now what 

Gas for heating doesn't do much good without power to run the furnace blower........but we all know this. 

• Like 2

We were told in our start up meeting this morning that everything was running as hard as safely possible here due to Miso request. Lots of coal in this area and several coal fired plants. Several gas plants also. Another thing to remember, wind and solar energy cannot be pushed through the lines like energy that is generated by fossil fuels. Even the wind and the solar takes a fuel powered machine to push the energy anywhere it goes. That is something the greenies leave out when talking energy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

This seems really odd......somethings up.

They are going to use this to beef up infrastructure on this.

they just closed schools down rest of week here for NG shortage.

can we go back to patience before panic? Seemed to work out alright 

They are shutting down coal fired plants here and north of me, there won't be any left soon.   I added it up a while back, we were losing 2500 megwatts of power.    That is quite a bit to make up.

• Sad 1

Lost power this morning for an 1-1/2. I have one of those 8 x 8 windowless storage sheds out back. Lock those new green deal people in one of those for a week in these -20 deg conditions. See what those looney's think of coal then.

• Like 1