Not how I wanted to start

Lazy WP

Woke up this morning to the wife slamming the dresser drawer. What’s wrong me asks. No hot water in the back bathroom, and it is the only one with a shower. Have cold water but no hot. 
It’s only-13 and they laid the hot water line on the ground under 1 of the additions that has been made to the house. Hot water tank is on the other end of the house. 
Hopefully things thaw out before I take off!

• Like 1

Good luck Nick, I had all the water running throughout the house last nite so wife had it early this morning. 

Stupid cold. 

Called Chad and told him North Platte was out of Y grade until thursday but A grade was in So I can get his regular gas tonight. 

Nervous about the DEF tank and I know everything is going to be damn stiff, haven't driven since this cold snap started last week. 

I guess people are calling both stations saying they are needing #1. W**, are you really that stupid out here too!!!

You had all week to plan for this. 

I've been topping off the tank in the 1486 with number one every two days leading up to this so should be around a 50/50 mix by now. Also spun on new filters when I was done feeding yesterday. Hoping for the best today. 

At least the sun is out and it has heat. Steam is coming off the bales already. 

• Like 4

I’ve been dealing with frozen water pipes for the last week. Apparently a new draft or two developed under the house over the summer, not to mention this has been a very good reminder to get that propane heater put in the bathroom before next winter.

47 minutes ago, SMiller said:

They didn't think that insulate the pipe?!?

No insulation and there was quite a draft under the house. I jammed a bunch of little square bales up against the wall. Hopefully it thaws nicely instead of splitting. 
 Don’t think I have ever seen such a cobbled up mess as this house! We have lived here 3 winters and this is the first time I have had to wiggle my fat truck driving butt up under there! Was sure a lot easier when I was 160 instead of 230!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My pipes are under the concrete slab. Always takes about 5 minutes to get hot water from the garage even in summer. Today at 5F it took a little longer but it was nice and warm eventually.

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

wiggle my fat truck driving butt

LOL, happens to all of us?

You just need more slick fork saddle time and less of the Bosch air ride seat time?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

No insulation and there was quite a draft under the house. I jammed a bunch of little square bales up against the wall. Hopefully it thaws nicely instead of splitting. 
 Don’t think I have ever seen such a cobbled up mess as this house! We have lived here 3 winters and this is the first time I have had to wiggle my fat truck driving butt up under there! Was sure a lot easier when I was 160 instead of 230!

The house I live in now has a basement all plumbing in it my old house was about a foot off ground hard on a fat boy. I hired a skinny Amish boy once to fix a pipe. He slid right under there.

I'm having fun with water lines today too. Cold and hot lines were froze to the washing machine Saturday. Got them thawed out with an extra heater in the mud room. Wife ran several loads through it and I stacked more hay up against that wall. Well sunday morning it was froze again. I was under the impression they had run the lines in the wall but after digging into it yesterday afternoon I found they went up to the attic instead. So I assume they are froze up in there. I went and had my 100lb propane cylinder filled this morning and now I've got my torpedo heater blowing in the vent. No progress yet and I'm about to start cutting sheetrock to find this problem. I can't get in the attic as the dumbasses who built this house didn't put an attic access. 

20210215_105420.thumb.jpg.277779fed65e9bd02ccd1e6f5e272168.jpg

• Sad 3

Yep. Wife woke me up at 4:30 to no water. Son has been sick and very congested. Being 8mo old not alot you can give them. So she had the shower on hot and letting him steam so to speak. The shower just quit.....  figured out my water line where it comes into my house through the slab froze. Luckily I was able to put a torpedo heater on the outside blowing on the foundation and that got it going after a few hours. I'll leave the water dripping tonight for sure. 

3 minutes ago, WishIhada1466 said:

I'm having fun with water lines today too. Cold and hot lines were froze to the washing machine Saturday. Got them thawed out with an extra heater in the mud room. Wife ran several loads through it and I stacked more hay up against that wall. Well sunday morning it was froze again. I was under the impression they had run the lines in the wall but after digging into it yesterday afternoon I found they went up to the attic instead. So I assume they are froze up in there. I went and had my 100lb propane cylinder filled this morning and now I've got my torpedo heater blowing in the vent. No progress yet and I'm about to start cutting sheetrock to find this problem. I can't get in the attic as the dumbasses who built this house didn't put an attic access. 

Oh man. That's about what my setup looked like but at least it was on the ground. Good luck and dont get too close to the house 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WishIhada1466 said:

9 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Oh man. That's about what my setup looked like but at least it was on the ground. Good luck and dont get too close to the house 

Oh man. Hope you guys get it fixed. Water lines freeze up here but I guess over the years you just dealt with them. All water lines into house were in basements or away from outside walls. Up here though when it gets real cold service lines from the mains will freeze if they aren’t 8 ft deep. The city offers anybody that calls in half price water after the minimum for a month or two. This is to encourage people to trickle water all day and night to keep it moving. They make little sealed steamer and line to go into water line to quickly thaw them.

17 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Yep. Wife woke me up at 4:30 to no water. Son has been sick and very congested. Being 8mo old not alot you can give them. So she had the shower on hot and letting him steam so to speak. The shower just quit.....  figured out my water line where it comes into my house through the slab froze. Luckily I was able to put a torpedo heater on the outside blowing on the foundation and that got it going after a few hours. I'll leave the water dripping tonight for sure. 

Hope your little guy gets better. Nothing worse than a stuffed up baby, remember those days steaming the baby to get them to breath.

All my buried lines are now encased in 6 inch field tile allowing changeout with no digging. Have never had to change one since i did that. We have a sink in the house that trickles all the time, has for years, serves as freeze protection also. All my cattle and hog waterers are non electric energy free on as big of pipe as will fit under the waterer without getting to close to edge. Smallest is 16 inch diameter, all are 6 foot down. I drill a 5/16 hole in the waterer below the water level in a place to allow the "leak" to go in the ground heat pipe rather than out where the cattle are. The leaking water soaks away. On a rarity i need to bust a ball loose but some don't even have balls in them. Also keeps the waterline going for sure. Come spring i stick a blot in the hole i drilled to plug the leak. Come late fall i pull it out to start the leak again.

Mine thawed out a little before noon. Then I tried starting the truck. I had plugged it in earlier in the morning and wanted to warm up and just make sure everything was ok. It went click click. Heater is NOT WORKING! 
 Jumped it with the Dodge and still no go. Changed the fuel filter. Heated the filter base, cleaned all the starter connections added a half can of starting fluid to the air filter and she is running. 
Only 2 professions I know where we intentionally freeze our selves just to have most of the public laugh at us. Truck driver and livestock producers. 

• Like 3

I got mine thawed as well. I got tired of screwing around and I made an access to the attic. Wife was pretty proud............but she is happy the washer works again. Me too, I was about to have to sink wash my long johns. I figured going into the unknown as far as truss spacing, and wiring I would be safer with a hammer than saw or knife. Within 30 seconds of hitting the PVC pipe with a hair drier it was free. Now I just have to make the hole in the cieling look presentable and build a frame and door for it. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

20210215_141242.thumb.jpg.deacfbe2aa0fb3f288a62cb215aa6c3c.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Can you still put Vicks vapo rub in boiling water for kids with stopped up noses? I still remember 50 years ago my head over a pan and a towel over my head.  I really feel for the little fella having to endure that without a lot of understanding.

• Like 1

Been fighting one froze up all afternoon. Torpedo heater has crapped out. Found 1 tank of propane.  Stuck the weed burner under and ran tank out. Finally thawed. Stacked some hay around the outside. Hoping it doesn't freeze again tonight. Nothing to leave running. Laundry room so just a line to the washing machine and outside hydrant. Waiting on stock tank to fill up off that hydrant then I'm heading in. 

You guys with frozen pipes be careful that it doesn't thaw out when you aren't looking.  At our old place we had a 3/4 pex line that went from the boiler to a heat exchanger in an addition. It froze and we didn't have heat in the addition.  One day it warmed up a bit and when I came home water was pouring out of a ceiling fan and running across the floor.  The fitting where the pex went on the duct coil let loose from the freeze and it got warm enough the water could flow.  The boiler was trying to fill and maintain pressure pushing water out the busted fitting.  Big mess.  After that we spent $500 on boiler antifreeze and never had a problem again.

We been lucky on water lines except for the hot water on the washing machine. Got wife’s hair dryer going on it now. Figure if that don’t work I’ll drill a hole with my hole saw next to the line and get it. 

54 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

Been fighting one froze up all afternoon. Torpedo heater has crapped out. Found 1 tank of propane.  Stuck the weed burner under and ran tank out. Finally thawed. Stacked some hay around the outside. Hoping it doesn't freeze again tonight. Nothing to leave running. Laundry room so just a line to the washing machine and outside hydrant. Waiting on stock tank to fill up off that hydrant then I'm heading in. 

Take your hoses loose off the back of the washing machine and stick them in the drain for the washing machine and just crack the valves. That's my plan tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you got her going Nick.

I got cows corralled bout 4 then crawled hill to get text that they didn't get my truck running. 

Tried it and nothing so spent the rest of the day working on delivery trucks. 

I am having a real hard time being disappointed, since I have to be back over there at 7 to load cows.

Tomorrow will be a better day to run!

Be safe!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

Glad you got her going Nick.

I got cows corralled bout 4 then crawled hill to get text that they didn't get my truck running. 

Tried it and nothing so spent the rest of the day working on delivery trucks. 

I am having a real hard time being disappointed, since I have to be back over there at 7 to load cows.

Tomorrow will be a better day to run!

Be safe!

Be safe Jeff! Loading cows when it’s cold isn’t any fun either!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WishIhada1466 said:

I got mine thawed as well. I got tired of screwing around and I made an access to the attic. Wife was pretty proud............but she is happy the washer works again. Me too, I was about to have to sink wash my long johns. I figured going into the unknown as far as truss spacing, and wiring I would be safer with a hammer than saw or knife. Within 30 seconds of hitting the PVC pipe with a hair drier it was free. Now I just have to make the hole in the cieling look presentable and build a frame and door for it. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

20210215_141242.thumb.jpg.deacfbe2aa0fb3f288a62cb215aa6c3c.jpg

Attic fan location. A nice louvered one, 2 or 3 speed. Kick it on low or just prop open the louvers a little when it gets cold to let a little heat up there. A few $ extra on the heat bill would be better than time, parts, and damage

• Like 2