8940/8950 Differences

Just learned of an 8950 that a retiring farmer is going to sell of this Spring. I have been told by former salesmen, service techs, and parts personnel that there are differences between the two.  Could you please list what is different between the tractors? If so, is it a pro or a con?

I am interested in the HP, but don't want to get into a situation where parts won't interchange or become difficult to come by in the future.

Slight difference between the two. One thing overlooked on a 71-72-8950 is that they were all mfd, 3 remotes minimum, quick hitch standard (unless 3pt delete) 

I don't think any problems for parts between the difference between them make anything less available for one or the other. 

A few of the things I remember ... Axles are slightly larger inboard on the 50. Injection pump is different. Injectors are different I think. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ThirdGenRed said:

What was said above, plus larger exhaust pipe and I think the engine fan is direct drive, no fan clutch. Also, the external lift cylinders for the three point should be larger.

All of ours have a fan clutch..  new replacement muffler is the same diameter and I think it's all superceded to the 50 muffler. 40 and smaller could have been ordered with the big external lift cylinder. 

16 hours ago, bitty said:

All of ours have a fan clutch..  new replacement muffler is the same diameter and I think it's all superceded to the 50 muffler. 40 and smaller could have been ordered with the big external lift cylinder. 

Not any 50s around here that I am aware of, and I knew the fan was different, so I thought the direct drive fan was one of the changes, but nevertheless, the fan is different on a 50. Here is what the 89 series brochure says are changes to a 50 including the larger capacity fan and larger exhaust, makes sense they only offer the larger exhaust now, turbo diesels like a better flowing exhaust. According to the brochure, the upgraded external three point cylinders were available as an option for the 40 just like you said.

Mag2.jpg

Mag1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, bobbyhuron said:

No expert but what about the shark grill on the 50s for cooling?

Believe it was only on the 7150 and all early 7200s from factory

56 minutes ago, bobbyhuron said:

No expert but what about the shark grill on the 50s for cooling?

What is the shark grill? 

Pleated grill on the 89 series is a huge improvement for cooling for much more surface area 

• Thanks 1

Hope the OP doesn’t mind me using his post for me to put up some more Magnum info out of one of my old 8900 series Magnum training books. First series of pics shows the rear end innards of each model...followed by the transmission specs in each model. 

6BA80168-89F5-4E59-BDEC-E6F86108236B.jpeg

8033D8FF-E6DA-4CE7-A3CF-7B78B333A16D.jpeg

BC1EABF0-844E-432A-A9F8-C58D43BF1765.jpeg

9AC9CE35-DD05-465F-A080-2A5AFD7E92FC.jpeg

EB9743C2-EEE8-4F07-868E-D0DC933A9BF6.jpeg

099DEBA6-8642-41D1-BB2C-EDA14C24836C.jpeg

DDAB7FDC-C9D9-4121-94A5-D8FB545803BD.jpeg

1A5FBBC9-8EC4-4FAF-B37B-9BCF50AF29B4.jpeg

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, 560DT said:

didnt the 50 run a waste gate on the turbo ?

7150, 7250, 8910-50 I believe were all wastegate

Guys I'm pretty sure the waste gated engine came our as an "emissions" engine.  Got the head off of our 7250 right now, and book lists the waste gated engine as a serial number break, "emission motor".  I think that every engine built after that sn had a wastegate.  Wastegate isn't exactly a hp building device as they limit boost.  I haven't checked sn's, but I overhauled our 9330 last winter, no wastegate, and like I stated 7250 currently with a wg.  I know the 9330 came out with more hp than a 7250.  None of our 3 combines are wg either.  1688x2, 1666. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Wastegate isn't exactly a hp building device as they limit boost. 

Correct.  But the idea is to broaden the torque band.  A waste gate turbo has a more restrictive nozzle that will build boost at lower engine rpm.  Problem with that is at higher rpm the drive pressure gets too high and will exceed the boost pressure, which causes excessive egt and loss of high end power.  The waste gate is there to bleed off that excess pressure.  Then along came the variable geometry turbo.

• Like 2

On another note , since there’s a lot of magnum owners reading this, 

Was this step  ( often called the window step). an option on the magnums.  I can’t seam to find any rhyme or reason to it because on just about any model if you look at pictures long enough you will see some with it and some without it . 

I want to buy one and the bracket that is under it but can only find the aftermarket one . 

Now wait a second guys , before you jump on E-Bay and throw up a picture of the one offered by K& M that’s not the one i want.  I want the OEM. Case IH version .    Lots of guys took them off I’m being told so if your one of those guys and you want to sell it let me know. 
623F9E42-4513-4C4C-B529-C7DB6033FD2C.thumb.jpeg.2c8d01c001489b044edc882633532dcc.jpeg

AA76E8C5-C3F6-41B4-9409-FF0C1A50193B.jpeg.3d6c966de1cce9d4a34a573c973a6ce8.jpeg

Yes, they did make them.  Used the same tread as the top step.  We sold lots of them when I worked at the Case IH dealer.   I  wrote the part number in the front of the Magnum parts book back then.....  maybe someone has it written down.  Has to be one in someone's shed or parts department!

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Yes, they did make them.  Used the same tread as the top step.  We sold lots of them when I worked at the Case IH dealer.   I  wrote the part number in the front of the Magnum parts book back then.....  maybe someone has it written down.  Has to be one in someone's shed or parts department!

My cousins took it off their 8920 years ago when they put saddle tanks on . 

We can’t find it anywhere .  Too long ago I guess. 

Since we are on the topic of cast aluminum Magnums steps--if (not when) you break one of them, they can be welded back together successfully.

• Like 1