C301 IH 806

IHCfarmer

Hi I went to look at a 806gas today couldn’t find where is was stamped c301 all I found was a casting number or part number and it is 379815r1

so could it possibly be a c301? As I need the capability of a 301 to get rid of all my excess gasoline!!

and probably the horsepower to run my TMR mixer! Thank you so much

4 hours ago, IHCfarmer said:

Hi I went to look at a 806gas today couldn’t find where is was stamped c301 all I found was a casting number or part number and it is 379815r1

so could it possibly be a c301? As I need the capability of a 301 to get rid of all my excess gasoline!!

and probably the horsepower to run my TMR mixer! Thank you so much

The web states its a C221

If it is the factory engine, it is a 301. I can’t think of any reason someone would put a smaller engine in it, but anything is possible. It is also possible a different block was used, but machined to 301 specs.

3 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

Not correct. Original equipment was the 301. There are numbers stamped on a machined pad on the side of the block near the distributor. 

3E2258B7-F3B7-48FE-A930-0C558D24818E.png

Yes thats what I thought too was it was a c221 block now that’s from a 460 correct??? 
would it be possible that someone had it bored out to 301? Or maybe 263 or 291??? Just how different are the engine blocks between 806 706 560 460 656 666 686? Basically anything that used that family of IH gasoline engines??

Funny thing is the dealer told me that the salesman thought he was getting an 806 diesel! 
They were going to put it on the Dyno And see how much power it has!

If I remember correct, the "C301" is stamped up high by the alternator instead of on that flat pad down low like the other gassers.

• Like 1

Externally the blocks are the same. That's why it's so popular to pull a C301 out of an old combine, throw it in a 460 or 560, and go pulling.

Anything could have happened in the last 55 years. It could very well have a C221 in it, something a previous owner threw in to get the tractor running again. 

Have them throw it on the dyno and see what it makes. The only other way to find out is to pull the head and measure the bores.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

C301 is correct for a 806. C221 is the gasoline engine for the 460 and 606.

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

If I remember correct, the "C301" is stamped up high by the alternator instead of on that flat pad down low like the other gassers.

That is the location for combine engines. Definitely a place to check if it’s not in the correct location for a tractor engine. But if it’s smaller than a 301, the combine engines were sleeveless therefore could have been bored to the 301 spec anyhow.

1 hour ago, IHCfarmer said:

One other thing this probably doesn’t tell us anything but it has the wrong valve cover on it it’s got a regular one on it not the high one 

The taller valve cover was installed on the 806/856 gas tractors to prevent you from seeing daylight above the engine.  Purely cosmetic. 

Does anything know if the C301 and the BD308 truck version share the same block. I always thought they were totally different engines with the a RD308 the baby brother of an RD372 392 406?

6 hours ago, striker782 said:

Not correct. Original equipment was the 301. There are numbers stamped on a machined pad on the side of the block near the distributor. 

3E2258B7-F3B7-48FE-A930-0C558D24818E.png

This.

6 hours ago, pirlbeck said:

I think Farmall 1466 was saying is that doing a web search of the casting number above ( 379815r1) shows it to be a C-221 block.

I was noisy so I checked a C301 I have from a 715. The casting is 387716R1. I sold the C301 we pulled out of an 806. I wish I had looked at that casting #

So would it be possible to Bore out a c221 to make a 301 out of it??

also would a 263 have a different part number cast into it from a 291 and a 301?? So each individual engine size would have its own part number? Or if they did a production run of 263’s 291’s and 301’s all the part numbers would be the same the difference would only be when they did the final machining Then they set the cubic inch of each engine and then stamped the cubic inch size onto the side of the block? 
or is there that much difference between the cubic inch displacement of the blocks??

57 minutes ago, IHCfarmer said:

This is why am asking so many questions about an 806 gas I am tired of fighting with diesels when it’s just this cold!!

8C12F4FE-3C92-4096-9606-424C3B65659B.png

Fair enough. But as a man that has a 221 gasser in a 460, IH gassers are not the warmest blooded engines on the planet.  Far from it. You definitely need to know how to choke one to make it go.

• Like 1

I already have a 560 gas and totally get what you’re saying!! I went and drove the 806 in talking about and I probably have been around IH too long it started right up just like it should!! Well if you know how to do it anyway!! LOL

11 minutes ago, IHCfarmer said:

I already have a 560 gas and totally get what you’re saying!! I went and drove the 806 in talking about and I probably have been around IH too long it started right up just like it should!! Well if you know how to do it anyway!! LOL

It is a gift if you have one to know how to get them going.

Dad and I are the IH gas whispers on this place.  My brother, not so much. He's fine when it's warm out. But get cold, you better have Dad or i start the 460 or the H. Not that they are used a ton this time of year. 460 right now has a dump trailer on it to move firewood we cut to our storage area to dry for next season. The H at my place moves wood to my wood stove and ran the grain auger when I hauled corn 2 weeks ago. You just know if my brother is gonna get one of those there's going to be a lot of cranking, stalling and swearing.  Dad and I usually say, we'll go get them and save the time.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:39 AM, oleman said:

Does anything know if the C301 and the BD308 truck version share the same block. I always thought they were totally different engines with the a RD308 the baby brother of an RD372 392 406?

I don't believe they do.  I know the truck heads and tractor heads are different.  I made that mistake once. Guy gave me a head, I totally rebuilt it and put it on the shelf.  Needed it for a tractor.  Pulled it down to use and found out it was very different.  Finally determined I was given a head off a truck.