3688 vs. 5140

CowboyRam

I am looking to replace my MF1135 loader tractor.  I am looking at two different tractors the 1983 International 3688 with about 3400 hours and a 1995 Case IH 5140 with about 6600 hours.  I hear both are good tractors,  what one would be your choice? The asking price it pretty close to the same.  

Asking price should be less for the 3688. I think the maxxums are ok up to 10k then they nickel and dime you a lot or did for me anyways

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bitty said:

Asking price should be less for the 3688. I think the maxxums are ok up to 10k then they nickel and dime you a lot or did for me anyways

Yes the 3688 is about $500 less.  

Definitely check out the front axle kingpins on the maxxum if it ever wore a loader in it's previous lifetime.. pto is often a weak part on the maxxums along with the parking brake system is not anywhere near bulletproof. 

FWA is a great thing on a loader tractor. Went FWA on our current leader tractor and will never go back to 2wd. 

5140 is a very nice tractor and if it’s mfd I would take that over the 3688. 5240  has the 5.9 Cummins , 4 speed powershift , very good hyd system and I’d PFc system, really nice cab with great visibility.

Danny 

• Like 3

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the tractors.

It seems like the 86 and 88 series tractors are going up in value while the maxxum tractors seem to be holding steady. 

Here is my opinion on the pros and cons for 3688. 
 Better PTO, simpler  to fix, most parts readily available And overall nice tractor to sit in. The hydraulics are very similar to the maxxum.

pros and cons for the maxxum,more modern tractor like shuttle shift and powershift but the PTOs can give you problems.if you want to do a lot of PTO work I would go with a 3688 for sure! Fuel consumption, the 3688 will be a little more thirsty but it does have more PTO horsepower too.

The maxxum tractors are a very good tractor... but have some issues,like most old tractors! LOL

I own both and I like both for different reasons!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

It's too bad the Maxxums didn't use the IH 2 speed pto, it was great for chore tractors.

If the maxxums used the dual pto they would have been somewhat more reliable. Add in the mechanical park like a 06-88 series and it would only be electrical issues to worry about

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Think he means 10k hours

Oh I figured that.  I was stating that the asking price for the 3688 was about 500 less.  

I think I am going to try to get the 5140, now I just need to figure out how to pay for it.  

1 hour ago, CowboyRam said:

Oh I figured that.  I was stating that the asking price for the 3688 was about 500 less.  

I think I am going to try to get the 5140, now I just need to figure out how to pay for it.  

its only money, they print more of it every day

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1