420 Plow/ General plow questions

I just recently bought a 420, 2 bottom 14" plow to pull behind the 284 I got last fall.  I put out a good sized garden and I enjoy the work I put into it.  I've plowed for years with my Cub Cadets, but I'm growing tired of taking almost 4 hours to plow it.  Why not move up, right?  Anyway, the plow I picked up needs new shares and shins.  Also need to find a set of cutter assemblies as they were missing.  Which, while I'm at this, if anyone has 2 they want to part with, or know where I can get some let me know.  Hoping I can find a couple before spring.  Back to the shares and shins.... my local CIH dealer is having their "parts days" and I think 25% off tillage parts, so I figured why not buy from them.  On one of my parts runs, asked the counter kid to get me 2 shares and 2 shins for a 14" moldboard.  Deer in the headlights look.... so, after explaining what those were, he tried looking them up.  Wouldn't you know it that the parts book for, at least a 420 plow, doesn't show the moldboards.  I looked for myself later.  I don't know why.  So, here's my questions:

*Why doesn't it list the moldboards and associated parts in at least the online book?  Does a paper book list them? 

*Does it matter that the plow has Super Chief moldboards?  

*I looked and found the part number for the share to be 463252R2.  Shin came up as 179320A1.  Pulled those from Hoober's website, but not by application, only by size.  Can someone confirm?  Yes, I want deep suck shares. 

* And last question, what is the metal or plastic dirt "wing" above the moldboards called?  I can't for the life of me think what it was called.  We used to keep a few on the shelf when I was growing up to change out because now and again the plastic ones would break.  Which is why I need them, mine are broke off.  No, for a garden they aren't critical, but I want them, lol. 

If you guys think I need a parts book, I will gladly buy one.  I always look up my own parts, but the online book not listing the moldboards parts threw me for a loop.  Anyone know where the listing is?  Maybe under another name or model, just like the engines aren't listed on tractors?  Any help is appreciated. 

Just for fun, pictures of the plow and 2 row cultivator the day I picked them up. Also, a pic so you can see the worn out shin and share. 

20210123_133025.thumb.jpg.9314ce6ee035fea9bbf2ac814bb9d86b.jpg20210123_133020.thumb.jpg.05806c4acc3f0b8b94da000c5f634166.jpg20210123_133028.thumb.jpg.d21dff64f793fe5eb2b835e8b9c92ec1.jpg20210124_143900.thumb.jpg.53b45a4fee43483701e2c807c6ef2e97.jpg

• Like 1

"Bottom book"..... sounds like my kind of book, lol.  Seriously, I wonder if it's online?  If not, I'll look and see if I can find a copy.  Apparently, in the future getting plow parts is going to be darn near impossible unless you can give the parts guy a part number.  Did I mention the kid said that the shares were discontinued?  That made me laugh. 

3 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Coverboards

There it is!!  

Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Not a parts man.

Me either, but I'm usually better than the counter boy.... helps I know what I'm looking for.  But this one got me when the "book" didn't list it. 

I think I'll go Google "international bottoms" now and see what kind of pictures I can find........ 

• Like 1

Bottom book was part of the under the counter quick reference set back in the day . I can't remember if they even published it on microfiche. I knew what plow parts were and the customer would give me the model and the damn parts were not in the book. WTH. First time was embarrassing to say the least

• Like 1

I am pretty confident that Parts Catalog #PO-6 is the one you need J. 

Maybe someone has one and could confirm.

There's one sitting on ebay now too - i'll respect the forum rules and won't post the link, i just googled "ih PO-6 book" 

s-l225.jpg

• Thanks 1

Looks like Super Chief to me (probably because it says "Super Chief" right on the back of the moldboard). Parts are widely available.

The parts book will just lead you astray, because dealers really only handle one style of share, moldboard, shin, landside, etc.. Should be able to just walk into a dealer and ask for what you need. More rural Tractor Supply stores have everything on the shelf in back. Plus about a dozen online sources like AgriSupply.

On the CNHI website, search for "bottom" and that will show you the parts books.

6 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Should be able to just walk into a dealer and ask for what you need.

I would have thought so too..... but, as everyone is learning it seems, the young parts guys who have never worked on a machine don't have a clue what you are asking for.  I had to tell the guy what a plow share was, and he for sure had no idea what a shin is.  

More rural Tractor Supply stores have everything on the shelf in back. Plus about a dozen online sources like AgriSupply.

And I could have went that route, but I wanted a good share.  Honestly all the deep suck shares I found were all pretty comparable in price.  But,I've seen the "cheaper" shares break the tip off.  No, it's not like I will be plowing acres and acres with it, but you never know what you might hit.  First few years of my garden I kept hitting rotted off T posts.  Probably pulled at least 4 out. 

On the CNHI website, search for "bottom" and that will show you the parts books.

I will try that.  Thanks Matt!! 

On CNH site ....

463252R2 ...Deep suck Share  $35.25/$28

179320A1....Shin $21.25/$16.00

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, J-Mech said:

On one of my parts runs, asked the counter kid to get me 2 shares and 2 shins for a 14" moldboard.  Deer in the headlights look.... so, after explaining what those were, he tried looking them up.  Wouldn't you know it that the parts book for, at least a 420 plow, doesn't show the moldboards.  I looked for myself later.  I don't know why.  So, here's my questions:

Not sure about the general online store that everyone has access to, but in eParts, if you look up a 420 plow, you have to click on the "related models" button.  That will then bring up the respective moldboards.  Here's a snippet of what you'll get.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1
On 2/11/2021 at 10:12 PM, J-Mech said:

And last question, what is the metal or plastic dirt "wing" above the moldboards called?  I can't for the life of me think what it was called.  We used to keep a few on the shelf when I was growing up to change out because now and again the plastic ones would break.  Which is why I need them, mine are broke off.  No, for a garden they aren't critical, but I want them, lol. 

I think you are referring to cover boards.  I’ve used plows with and without them and I prefer them-they work great.  I wish I had one on my 10” brinly plow. 

J-Mech, 463252R1(2) is the deep suck 14 inch share and also used on 12" and 16" bottoms.  Rainman did like my fingers and put one too many two's in the part number.  The part number for the shin is 522314R1, available in both cast and steel under the same part number.   Both shares and shins are readily available.  I am doing the same thing to an IH 209A plow, the predecessor to the 420.  It came with both cover boards and moldboard extensions.   From my project I know of sources for both shares and shins. PM me if I can help.

P1010001.JPG

P1010064.JPG

• Like 2
On 2/12/2021 at 12:39 PM, J-Mech said:

I would have thought so too..... but, as everyone is learning it seems, the young parts guys who have never worked on a machine don't have a clue what you are asking for.  I had to tell the guy what a plow share was, and he for sure had no idea what a shin is.  

And I could have went that route, but I wanted a good share.  Honestly all the deep suck shares I found were all pretty comparable in price.  But,I've seen the "cheaper" shares break the tip off.  No, it's not like I will be plowing acres and acres with it, but you never know what you might hit.  First few years of my garden I kept hitting rotted off T posts.  Probably pulled at least 4 out. 

I will try that.  Thanks Matt!! 

If we could find the parts books and get them to peacefull creek I would buy some.

21 minutes ago, kal said:

If we could find the parts books and get them to peacefull creek I would buy some.

I would too.  I need to send him an email.  I want an owners manual for the plow and cultivator.  Do I need them.... no.  But I want them. Parts book would be handy for sure! 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, WESnIL said:

J-Mech, 463252R1(2) is the deep suck 14 inch share and also used on 12" and 16" bottoms.  Rainman did like my fingers and put one too many two's in the part number.  The part number for the shin is 522314R1, available in both cast and steel under the same part number.   Both shares and shins are readily available.  I am doing the same thing to an IH 209A plow, the predecessor to the 420.  It came with both cover boards and moldboard extensions.   From my project I know of sources for both shares and shins. PM me if I can help.

P1010001.JPG

P1010064.JPG

Nice plow!!! 

Any idea where I can get some cutters?  I think the frame clamps on mine are gone too.  I hate plowing without a cutter.  I don't know why people take them off.... well, I do.  Because they don't know how to set them, and they get trash between them and the moldboard.  Properly set, no issues. 

If you want, you could give me a call at 765 860 0384. I have probLy about 10 to 12 copy of original bottom parts manuals. That I made up for one of our winter conventions. I did a seminar on different models of IH plows from the late 50s on up.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Nice plow!!! 

Any idea where I can get some cutters?  I think the frame clamps on mine are gone too.  I hate plowing without a cutter.  I don't know why people take them off.... well, I do.  Because they don't know how to set them, and they get trash between them and the moldboard.  Properly set, no issues. 

We didn't take the coulters off. We could not keep then from breaking off on rocks till we got 700, 710 plows that had springs. on the 60 & 70 plows they wouldn't last a day. Shanks would bust off then  get buried.  Plow em back up years later.

1 hour ago, 1480x3 said:

We didn't take the coulters off. We could not keep then from breaking off on rocks till we got 700, 710 plows that had springs. on the 60 & 70 plows they wouldn't last a day. Shanks would bust off then  get buried.  Plow em back up years later.

See, I never would have thought of that.  No rocks here, except an occasional one, and we picked them up.  In a year you might grab 4 or 5 double fist size stones, but never anything, like, as big as your head.  I can't imagine farming rocky soil.  Most all the plows were trip shank, but not spring reset.  If we hit something it was generally an old abandoned oil field flow line.  Now and again in river bottoms a large rock, but it was rare. 

Most generally we found them right away or the next round. Rocks  the size of a stove or bigger just below the surface that would bust off a coulter would also trip a bottom or 2 or 4  ?  Only if you were not paying attention would you get home and Dad would ask where the coulter was ? Duh, didn't know it was gone.  Kids

8 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Rocks  the size of a stove or bigger just below the surface

We have to dig 20 feet or more to find rocks like that, and even then it's not common.  Nothing unusual about digging a basement or pond and never finding anything.