Disc blades CIH vs Heschel vs Shoup

cedar farm

I will start by saying I sold 1000's and 1000's of CIH earth metal blades in my day and would have told a customer anything else is junk. When i left the dealership they were 21.95 for a 22" blade. My 490 needs new blades. CIH is 50.00 per blade and I don't know that CIH still makes their own blades. Got a flyer from Shoup today. 35.37 per and free shipping. An Agco dealership I do business with quoted me 37.00 for Herschels. Anyone tried any to compare?

Thanks

Mike

45 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

I will start by saying I sold 1000's and 1000's of CIH earth metal blades in my day and would have told a customer anything else is junk. When i left the dealership they were 21.95 for a 22" blade. My 490 needs new blades. CIH is 50.00 per blade and I don't know that CIH still makes their own blades. Got a flyer from Shoup today. 35.37 per and free shipping. An Agco dealership I do business with quoted me 37.00 for Herschels. Anyone tried any to compare?

Thanks

Mike

We went through this a few years ago when we put discs on our Krause. The Earth Metal Case IH discs are thicker metal than the Shoup ones for sure. Not familiar with Herschels. At the time we priced Krause, John Deere, Case IH. The Case IH Earth Metal blades were a bit more expensive but when you figured the additional metal thickness you got for the price it was real competitive then. 

Im saying this as unbiased as i can be. 

• Like 2

We have earth metal on the 475 . I think they have lasted great over the years. I think the shape helps them work better

Thanks for the response's. Called to my old stomping grounds and with the February's open house 10% off the CIH blades are 46.00. For 10.00 per blade I think CIH would be best.

• Like 4

A neighbor once told me he wouldn't run Earth Metal blades because they break off when you hit a big rock instead of bend like the aftermarket blades. I told him to avoid the rocks or go out and pick some up once in a while. I just got a dirty look. 

I have a Krause disc and the OEM Krause blades after 15% off were about the same as Herschel. Earth Metal was higher than Krause. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

A neighbor once told me he wouldn't run Earth Metal blades because they break off when you hit a big rock instead of bend like the aftermarket blades. I told him to avoid the rocks or go out and pick some up once in a while. I just got a dirty look. 

I have a Krause disc and the OEM Krause blades after 15% off were about the same as Herschel. Earth Metal was higher than Krause. 

I don't buy that. I bet good money that he's not running in as rocky conditions as we are and we've never broken any blades yet

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

I don't buy that. I bet good money that he's not running in as rocky conditions as we are and we've never broken any blades yet

Well was using an older MF disc. They don't dig that well anyway. 

Different conditions different blades work better. Some will be harder and not ware as fast in abrasive conditions but will break with very little shock.  I farm rocks in clay with no sand. South African and Brazilian made blades break very easy. For the thinner blades ,if you want thicker buy thicker.  The 24 inch ones can be from 5 mm to 8 mm thick.  With the rocks we have I have even used 3/8 thick blades that started at 32 or 36inch blades worn down to 25 to 23 when they went on. This was all behind crawler so the disc never saw 5 mph. But when you knew where the rocks where bad 2 mph was better. 

• Like 1

We've had the best luck with the earth metal disk blades. We had a fella in town who had a store who carried Wiese tillage. Wiese has good stuff, but at least in the 1980s their disk blades weren't anything to brag about. We had trouble with the center of the blades breaking right around the outside of the spool's. Not everyday, but once in a while. Can't run a disk with a blade flapping around so you either drove to the blue wrench or brought it to the field to cut it off. A real PITA. When it rained, we'd buy a new blade the closest size of the rest on the disk, with ANOTHER Wiese blade. Lol! Hey I was working with a grandpa who went through the depression and some of the tightness wore off on dad. So the broken center blades we're just a continuous problem until we rebladed the Kewanee with earth metal blades and the problem went away. Speed is what kills disk blades no matter what brand of blades you have if you have rocks. 

• Like 1

My krause I have alot of earth metal on it. I've replaced a lot of broken blades for whatever reason. I do use it to break sod ground from time to time and will find a field potato. Not saying they are junk but they seem hard enough they will break instead of bend like someone mentioned above. 

Weise makes all of CIH consumable tillage replacement as well as OE parts. Thay do make heavier than standard metal if you want. Fiat changed theee specks on a lot of there metal. We used to use all IH shares for plowing, 4500. To 7500 acres a year. And replacement tillage shovels and whatever. We use just about all weise metal. We purchase from CFC dist. In Northern Indiana and just as pleased with wise on everything.Nichols makes about all JD metal. I have tried the all.

• Thanks 1