Maybe everyone except me knew about this. Needed a couple new fuel caps and came across ihgascap.com. Enter your gas tractor model and serial number and they send you a cap. You can enter up to six tractors at a time, so I registered six of my eight gas tractors on 2/3/21. Today FedEx dropped of a box from Navistar. Sure enough six caps in the box. I will enter the last two as well.

DSCF2527.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I didn't know you could still do it?

Went through the program back in the 80's I think, poorer memory keeps me from betting on the decade though?

What was the reason for them doing this? Was there a problem, or recall on the original gas caps?

Pretty crazy that 30-40 years later they still replace them.

The original cap can be removed too fast causing hot gasoline to douse the person removing the cap and possibly get burned. The new cap has an extra tang to prevent fast removal. Since it is a safety issue, the program will never expire. 

What I remember was the original caps only had one set of tabs so if the tank had pressure on it from setting in the sun and you just spun the cap off it could possibly blow the cap out of your hand and cause severe death or injury. 
This usually only happened to the dumb people but in the lawyer happy world they just decided to give out free caps with dual tabs. 

I got one for my new to me '40 H a couple of weeks ago.  Yep, they are still sending them out.  With the pandemic, it may take a few weeks to get one, but be patient.

15 hours ago, mmi said:

have the neck repair tool some place, now

Have one of those as well, use it from time to time. 

with the old cap it had one vent hole.  if you filled the tank and it sat in the sun gas would shoot out of the vent like a fountain.

pete

10 hours ago, Howard_P said:

There was one severe burn lawsuit (or maybe more than one) that brought about the recall.

I thought that too.  FARMALL'S #2 quality manager attended that trial, and actually testified at the trial. He told me details of the trial, only one trial,  and the guy that was injured did absolutely everything wrong.  The guys at YT were ordering dozens of free gas caps 30 years ago and I made a comment about if you want a free cap, BUY one from your dealer. And much to my shock, a manager from IH Corp. office  responded back saying the gas cap replacement program had nothing at all to do with the trial my friend testified at, He claimed it was a long term product improvement program to equip old gasoline tractors and equipment to better able use the more volatile gasolines being refined and sold across the country.

The gas caps used on old putt-putt tractors are exactly like the caps IH replaces, and nobody else used the tall triple baffle cap like IH switched to in the 1950's,  think it during the SH/SM production years.  Makes me wonder why other companys aren't worrying about equipment they built 50-60 years ago being used with modern formula gasolines.

Dad got our replacement gas caps while I still worked at FARMALL, so 1981. The caps they sent out were a PITA to install & remove. I drilled the rivets out and tossed the second catch and POP riveted them both back together and reinstalled them, so they were EXACTLY like the triple baffle caps we replaced that came on the tractors when new. Our two tractors didn't burn a tank or two of gas a day like when we did fieldwork all day with them. If they burn two tanks a year combined I'd be surprised! I always check fuel level in H & M by gas level above or below the tank seam.  Not a fan of topping up the gas level right to the very top of the neck either, gas does terrible things to paint.

As long as you have the s/n and model and its a gas it will work. I imagine they want the s/n to register it as getting a new cap. 

1 hour ago, oleman said:

I thought I would run on down and get a free cap BUT they are only for gasers. Couldn't I tell them I had a gaser 464 and get a free cap?

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

As long as you have the s/n and model and its a gas it will work. I imagine they want the s/n to register it as getting a new cap. 

As long as the serial number you provide is for a gas tractor and it is not on record as being supplied a new cap you're good to go.

7 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Have one of those as well, use it from time to time. 

What were the original gas caps like? were they tall, like the replacements? I ask because my C has always had a very low profile, smooth stainless gas cap since i can remember, but I don't know if it's original. I have a new one for it, but I'm curious about the originals

11 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I thought that too.  FARMALL'S #2 quality manager attended that trial, and actually testified at the trial. He told me details of the trial, only one trial,  and the guy that was injured did absolutely everything wrong.  The guys at YT were ordering dozens of free gas caps 30 years ago and I made a comment about if you want a free cap, BUY one from your dealer. And much to my shock, a manager from IH Corp. office  responded back saying the gas cap replacement program had nothing at all to do with the trial my friend testified at, He claimed it was a long term product improvement program to equip old gasoline tractors and equipment to better able use the more volatile gasolines being refined and sold across the country.

I don't know all that went on, but his statement sounds like what you'd want to say for public consumption rather than admitting you had a serious fire problem and provided a cover for replacing the caps.

I suspect there were other fire cases, but they were wisely settled before they got to a trial, no way they could be won.

2 hours ago, farmall57 said:

Since they make you put down a serial number, they must have records, wouldn't it be great to get access to that data?

they probably only take down your serial number so they dont give you more than one cap per tractor, 

Probably 40 years ago my brother and I were at the neighbors sawmill with some logs we wanted sawed and a guy pulled into the mill with a 684 with a 2250 loader and a new IH spreader. I asked Earl who had the new tractor and he said the name of the guy and said he got that from IH in a lawsuit because he got burned when he opened gas cap on his tractor. Later on I talked with Mark the salesman at Vans Equipment in Medford and he said the same thing about the lawsuit and they were not allow to talk about it. He did say that there was quite a bit of equipment and it all went through Vans Equipment. Apparently he took equipment instead of cash.

11 hours ago, farmall57 said:

Since they make you put down a serial number, they must have records, wouldn't it be great to get access to that data?

So many people take advantage of this program it's not even funny. I know of at least one person that has went through a salvage yard and wrote down serial #'s to get free gas caps.

Travis

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

So many people take advantage of this program it's not even funny. I know of at least one person that has went through a salvage yard and wrote down serial #'s to get free gas caps.

Travis

And now there will be more!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Travis

the btos were then selling them for $30 >

actually just start giving them serial numbers that fall in the number range of the tractor, if they were already given a gas cap way back when, they'll just let you no that and you wont get a cap for that number