Magnum series HP question for the IH mechanics

lorenzo

If the 8920 8930  8940 and 8950 all used the same 8.3 liter Cummings six cylinder Diesel engine what did they do to it to gain all this horse power throughout the series? 

8920 rated at 155 HP

8930 rated at 180 HP

8940 rated at 205 HP

8950 rated at 225 HP

The 8950 has different injectors, different turbo, and (I think) a different injection pump. The 8910 and 8920 have a smaller radiator than the others. Yes there are differences in pump settings but that is not the only difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheIHMan said:

Also, only the 40 and 50 had intercoolers

So did a 8930.  At least mine does and we got with 5500 hrs on.  

They just turned up the pump larry.  Iirc 8910 n 8920 had 1 less core rad.  And not air to water cooler.  There are some rear changes in finals but not versed enough to comment.  You get that low hr one owner one?  8920...?  Sounded like perfect deal from this side of the screen.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

So did a 8930.  At least mine does and we got with 5500 hrs on.  

They just turned up the pump larry.  Iirc 8910 n 8920 had 1 less core rad.  And not air to water cooler.  There are some rear changes in finals but not versed enough to comment.  You get that low hr one owner one?  8920...?  Sounded like perfect deal from this side of the screen.

Yes I bought it.  My cousins have one they bought new in 97 , it’s always been a favorite of mine .  I don’t really need it but Emma wanted me to get something for her to ride in. 
No plans to alter the settings of the pump, I was just curious what all was done to achieve those HP gains 

• Like 2

I thought SDman posted a pretty exhaustive explanation of the differences between the 40 and 50 size Magnums.  It may have been about the 7140 and 7150.  I can’t find it now real quick.  I remember being surprised what all got changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I thought SDman posted a pretty exhaustive explanation of the differences between the 40 and 50 size Magnums.  It may have been about the 7140 and 7150.  I can’t find it now real quick.  I remember being surprised what all got changed.

Yes hopefully he adds his knowledge of the magnums again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I used to have a 7150 brochure. It was the first with a wastegate turbo. All the 89 series had a wastegate 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5488ih said:

50s have different head, forged cam & timing gears nippendenso P pump. & HD rear axle housings & bearings as standard equipment.

I figured there must be a bit more to it then just turning a screw. 

Anyone ever pull the waste gated turbo off and put on a non waste gate?  

I knew it was more than just a turned up pump, but that is a big portion. 

• Thanks 1

Also have to remember 8900 series were the start of emissions(actually the late 7200 series with electric PTOs started emissions). They put the intercooler on the 8930 for that reason. 8950s had the different injection pump among other things for the extra HP. All 89s smaller than the 50 used the Bosch MW pump which previously was just used on 71/7240 models. 

I can't recall exactly what was different, but the 8940 had a different injection pump setup than the smaller Magnums. I recall one spring(I'll say 1999 or so) we had to change the delivery valves, injection pump-to-injector lines, and injectors on every 8940 we ever sold as Bosch had problems with the delivery valves on the top of the injection pump coming apart and contaminating the injector lines and injectors with debris. We also had to do that to 9330 Steigers and 2366 combines as they all used the same engine HP package-240 engine HP IIRC.

The 8900 series do have the wastegated turbo which can have the same problems as many people had with 2388 combines when the diaphragm in the waste gate went bad-low power because the injection pump won't go to full fuel because it doesn't see full boost pressure at the aneroid.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Just keep turning the pump up.  

but but but you said...:lol:

52 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

Anyone ever pull the waste gated turbo off and put on a non waste gate?  

I do on all of them  different turbo and direct drive fan your good for 300 plus all day long

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

I do on all of them  different turbo and direct drive fan your good for 300 plus all day long

Good.  I just got a non wg turbo for the 7250 on the farm.  Old wg turbo had the bearing housing come loose from the exhaust housing and ate up the exhaust turbine.  I though going non wg was a no brainer, but one of the guys was concerned.  Good to know you have had good luck, I will pass that on to help ease their concerns. 

Just got off the phone with the machine shop and found out someone had planed the head in the past and it's junk.  Now trying to locate a good used for rebuild or a reman.  New injectors, and I'm picking up the pump as I type this from the waiting area of Area Diesel Service.  Pump checked out good.  All of this work was to fix a misfire.  Looks like it may have all been in the head.  But, hopefully with all the work, and the fact the turbo wasn't building boost, a non wg coupled with all the rest of the new parts will get it back up to good power.  Interesting part is, it wasn't really lacking.... just misfiring. 

5 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I don’t really need it but Emma wanted me to get something for her to ride in. 

The things we do for our "girls"?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

I use a s300 turbo of 7810 Deere it moves air 

I have one of those on my 7240 - 10% over on the pump-runs a little warm though

• Like 1

18 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Good.  I just got a non wg turbo for the 7250 on the farm.  Old wg turbo had the bearing housing come loose from the exhaust housing and ate up the exhaust turbine.  I though going non wg was a no brainer, but one of the guys was concerned.  Good to know you have had good luck, I will pass that on to help ease their concerns. 

Just got off the phone with the machine shop and found out someone had planed the head in the past and it's junk.  Now trying to locate a good used for rebuild or a reman.  New injectors, and I'm picking up the pump as I type this from the waiting area of Area Diesel Service.  Pump checked out good.  All of this work was to fix a misfire.  Looks like it may have all been in the head.  But, hopefully with all the work, and the fact the turbo wasn't building boost, a non wg coupled with all the rest of the new parts will get it back up to good power.  Interesting part is, it wasn't really lacking.... just misfiring. 

They take the head under minimum thickness? Kinda confused as to how a resurface junked it. 

5 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

They take the head under minimum thickness? Kinda confused as to how a resurface junked it. 

Head was apparently planed before, but not square.  Machinist, who I trust and has done work for me for years, made a couple passes and it didn't look right.  Took it out of the planer and started checking it.  It was around .080" thinner on one end than the other.  Valves on one end were recessed, valves on the other end protruding.  I didn't catch it either when I inspected the head, but I didn't check thickness.  I think the valves were at least slightly recessed before he planed it, but not after.  Just not something you generally look for.  You check to see if it's warped, but not for it being shaped in a wedge.  

6 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

I have one of those on my 7240 - 10% over on the pump-runs a little warm though

Maybe a silly question to ask but do you have a direct drive fan on it?  

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

Maybe a silly question to ask but do you have a direct drive fan on it?  

No, standard clutched fan. I kinda think the timing needs a little tweaking because the exhaust temp is also on the high end, it should be lower with the bigger turbo