Chicken or the egg?

bitty

In the shop yesterday Cody put the muffler on the 1566 black stripe and I noticed he put it backwards. Now I will say that he does like John Deere and has a 730 diesel of his own. Me and Ricky Bobby both said that he put the flapper backwards. My brother walked in and agreed with us. I said that I would go show him exactly what the original owners manual for a 1066 shows . Lo and behold I go over to the workbench and get the manual and I told him it was so important that they put the picture on the front cover so for years everyone would be able to see the correct way ...... 

;)

IMG_20210209_090854969.thumb.jpg.08a9dff8e1ded651ba4f7fee7f74c514.jpg

I will admit that I was glad the picture showed the way I prefer them 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

its hard to find a flapper these days that will last and that doesnt rattle at idle at least thats how all the ones i seem to find are

u go cody, nothing wrong with a 730 diesel, stout respectable tractors - ive been known to run a muffler backwards a time or two on purpose. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

its hard to find a flapper these days that will last and that doesnt rattle at idle at least thats how all the ones i seem to find are

We now get some that have a plastic pipe over the bolt.  I heard a bloke who'd just bought one say "No More Rattles".  No idea of how long it lasts though.

• Like 1

apparently whoever put the picture on the owner's manual cover never had to work under low hanging tree branches. easier to catch the muffler with the flopper hinge in the back.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

That's a pet peeve of mine, Every 2-3 years I go around the edges of my fields and cut  every bush or tree that even thinks of hanging a branch over my fields

That way I can have my rain caps on the correct way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, ny bill o said:

apparently whoever put the picture on the owner's manual cover never had to work under low hanging tree branches. easier to catch the muffler with the flopper hinge in the back.

This is what my Dad always drilled into my head too, so I still put them on with the hinge to the front.  But I always argued that he made me help every winter cleaning mulberry trees and limbs out of the fences so what the h**l did it matter??

• Haha 1

Stay out from under trees and out of too short a buildings or use a utility with under slung exhaust and you won't have those problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We prefer them the way the manual has it also.    I always hear the reason for branches but there isn’t a darn thing that grows under low hanging branches anyway.    I always ask the question would you drive a new vehicle through brush??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

We run the hinge on the front side.

90ECA132-4245-42AE-AE60-07FA3722E1B4.jpeg

This is why they made tractors with under slung exhaust, orchard Tractors

( P.S. I got your point just trying to be funny)

• Like 1

I prefer the hinge on the back.. biggest thing that I have seen is backing up under lower clearance you won't catch as quickly as you are looking back instead of watching the flapper

9 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Stay out from under trees and out of too short a buildings or use a utility with under slung exhaust and you won't have those problems.

no dont say it, i have night mares thinking about those old ford Ns.........

• Haha 2

Always the opposite of bittys picture (here). That rain cap pointed as pictured is calling all tree branches and anything else low to destroy it, the muffler, and possibly the exhaust elbow if it's a 66 series

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Always the opposite of bittys picture (here). That rain cap pointed as pictured is calling all tree branches and anything else low to destroy it, the muffler, and possibly the exhaust elbow if it's a 66 series

in a rare instance, even the exhaust manifold. It might have been cracked before...

I put the hinged side to the front in case I haul it there is no chance of air getting in  to turn the turbo on my Cub. At least that is what I tell people.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I like frt opening for look.

But i have seen several 66 series photos of them brand new and hinge to frt.  Families new unit pic, sitting at dealers, rolling off trucks etc.

Maybe turbo vs non turbo decided at the plant? 

I always figured if it opened to the front it would help deflect the exhaust away from you. I dont really like breathing diesel exhaust and I read a lot of farmers have a persistent cough due to breathing exhaust fumes over the years from the old open station tractors. I dont know if it is the cause or not but I do cough a lot especially in the winter. Have for years. 

In regards to tree limbs an old boy I worked with said he kept a sawed off muffler or maybe it was a short piece of pipe to slip over the exhaust outlet when working around trees.  I still say if that's a problem. The tree needs to come down. Or better yet stay the heck back from the tree. ?‍♂️?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snoshoe said:

Just for the record. I don't know if any were factory mounted. Ours were all dealer installed. Don't know if that was a factory thing or transportation co. thing.

IIRC the tractors all came off the truck with a rain-cap that had a spring around it to hold it closed during transport.  Always removed the spring during predelivery.  Do not remember which way they were pointed, tho.