Glow Plugs for 282

Eason

fwiw i never had any issues with the originals on any of our 282s they started fine - we had dual 12V in parallel on one 6V in series on the other - not sure if that matters. Are the old ones not available anymore or you guys like the hotter ones? 

The way a lot of guys talk about holding the glow plugs on for minutes, or even 30 seconds, I wouldn't switch.  You'll burn a 7.3 gp out in no time at those long burn times.  Max any 7.3 engine gp controller holds them on constant is maybe 15 seconds.  After that it cycles them on then off a few more times and it's over. 

2 hours ago, Eason said:

I believe I've heard some of you talk about using 7.3 IDI glowplugs in a 282. Any truth in this?

It's for powerstroke. Diesel RX  you dont retap the injector cup you simply run a die over the glow plug because the threads are so close they just need cleaned up a bit. I bought a 8 pack for like $50 and put them in my 656. Normal glow plug time is about 5 seconds now. I've never held them for over 10 in the cold. I'm happy

I will add special care must be taken because they are a hair shorter. You bury them down to the nut is almost touching before you feel it seat. These seat on the shoulder not the threads. Mine have been in for several years. If I burn one out who cares. I am so much happier with shorter glow plug times I'll replace them if it happens. I did away with the gauge etc and installed a hd solenoid on a push button. 

7 hours ago, J-Mech said:

The way a lot of guys talk about holding the glow plugs on for minutes, or even 30 seconds, I wouldn't switch.  You'll burn a 7.3 gp out in no time at those long burn times.  Max any 7.3 engine gp controller holds them on constant is maybe 15 seconds.  After that it cycles them on then off a few more times and it's over. 

Are you sure the GPR cycles on/off?  I started my PSD thousands of times and never saw anything but a solid steady draw in the amp guage.  But that WAS the Ford dash mounted guage, and with the readings in the other guages compared to what real coolant temp, or oil psi, or fuel level, I wouldn't be surprised the charge guage is heavily dampened.  Used to be a guage engineer from Ford post on the old PowerStroke.com forum about why the guages were so inaccurate.  Most popular engineer was the Ford automatic transmission engineer who diagnosed E4OD tranny problems.

I've never heard anyone else ever claim the GP's cycled on/off in the 25+ years the 7.3 PSD's have been around.  Nothing in the factory HELMS service manuals either.  Just wondering where this info comes from.

The correct gp for the IH engines is made by Diesel RX, they bought wellman. The new ones are a fast glow, so only 15 seconds needed, and they go right in. But they are not as cheap. I have had a couple of guys burn the new ones up by holding the glow after it's started, when equipped with an alternator, charging 14V will smoke them.

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Are you sure the GPR cycles on/off? 

Yes, I am 100% certain.  Holds them on, then you start, then a couple cycles.  I'm not sure how you wouldn't know this as the gp light comes on each time they cycle.  If the engine doesn't start first attempt, it cycles them just as it would have when started.  Of course all this depends greatly by model year, version and gpc. Whether the gp's are controlled by their own control module, or by the pcm....yadda, yadda, yadda...  no matter though, they cycle as needed for only a few seconds after starting.  In the coldest weather they may continue to cycle up to like 45 seconds or 1 min.  All these times are relative, I'm not reading the info from a book, however it is contained in a service manual, which I no longer have access to.  I shut off my online service information account (Mitchell 1) several years ago. 

The older IDI ones (like my 89)you could hear the solenoid cycle.   My 99 PSD you cant.  The light would come on when the plugs on my 89 were energized, even with the on one second, off one second after the first "full on" cycle ended.  Like Jass said, new ones light never comes back on, but doesn't mean they aren't cycling.   Back on track, I have a set of fast plugs from diesel RX in my 656, and a set of the older, slower heat ones on my 706.  Both will start well cold.  Having good batteries to spin the motor fast is key on an IDI motor IMHO.

4 hours ago, Injpumped said:

The correct gp for the IH engines is made by Diesel RX, they bought wellman. The new ones are a fast glow, so only 15 seconds needed, and they go right in. But they are not as cheap. I have had a couple of guys burn the new ones up by holding the glow after it's started, when equipped with an alternator, charging 14V will smoke them.

battery charger and some times jumping will kill them also

rx has listened and made improvements

INJP do you have the '21 Rx number to attach here?

found one

DRX00017 CASE/FARMALL-IH/KOMATSU TRACTORS/GRADERS (SEE DESCRIPTION) SET OF 6 PLUGS

but you have to make sure EVERY operator knows what you have '18> rx

or wellman   1-2 minute run thru low voltage/resisted, 60 year old wires with 2-3 burnt out for years

rx are + - $15 ea  but most btos charge $25-50 EACH and many ship the wrong #

picked up a case of wellman 6a477g017 for $3 ea  but always cycle + - 30s

18 hours ago, J-Mech said:

To expand on that, the old IDI motors cycle the plugs. The 7.3 PSD they remain on solid,  no cycling, for up to 2 minutes after the WTS light goes out. Both help to lower smoke at initial startup. I have both motors in the shed. We put LED lights in the dash to verify the controllers were still good. Easy way to see what GP's are doing.

The 84 and 85 Oldsmobile Diesels did not cycle the glow plugs either, they came on and stayed on.  They used an AC 12G glow plug and that glow plug will fit in the IDI Ford Diesels and is perfect for use with a manual button.  I put 12G's in my 6.9 years ago and got along fine with them.  Normal heat time would be around 8 seconds, but in extreme cold I was able to hold them 20 to 30 seconds and it was years before I burned any out.  However, I've not been able to get the same life out of any of the replacements, they don't seem to be made the same as that original set I had.

i think i would stick with the originals just because it was designed that way and you have the push button meter but thats just me - we ran our glow plugs for a long time in below zero temps in SD - my father in law had it down to a science with the 282s. He would go by temp outside/seconds to hold button. Temps like now at 10 below were a minimum of 90 seconds - I bought his 560 w/282 at his farm sale and it was -6 that day at the time of the sale around noon. Auctioneer said shes a runner, a few smirkers scoffed and said sure lets see you start it.

I had already headed that way to start it - I jumped on and the auctioneer rambled about it while i was holding the glow plug button - he got them ran up to 2500 and they stopped bidding about that time I started it. I had to pay 4500 to get it bought after it started, but i hauled it home to missouri. My ex FIL was a firm man, said my kids nor anyone gets my stuff, you want it, buy it at the sale like everyone else. Thats what I did. 

I wish i would have been able to buy more of his stuff but I didnt have the $$ at the time. 

Archived