Buying equipment in canada

Just wondered .... 

I always see what seems like cheaper tractors and equipment in canada than the states which seems odd. Not that I would probably ever buy one but what's it take to get one back to the states???? Asking for a friend?‍♂️

Nope they’re all junk and wore out better stay south of the line and leave them for us hard up farmers ??

Lots of stuff goes south from the auctions. No big deal to get it across the border I don’t think. 

• Haha 6

we out grow alot of equipment up here and not enough markets for the smaller stuff so alot ends up south and aswell as the american dollar always helps you get a good deal on alot of good iron 

my 1460 combine i had went to mexico they had no problem getting it over the border but it had to be really clean to meet the specs to go over, neighbor bought a sprayer down in the states and had a broker do all the work to get it here 

I agree with poor farmer. You leave that cheap junk alone! Not worth the hassle, so just let us smaller cheap guys take care of it! Lol

Lots of equipment and trucks going south everyday. No big deal to my knowledge. I know it was no big deal bringing stuff across up to here. I know going this way if it is a self propelled machine (tractor, combine, etc) it has get completely washed off and has to sit 3 days I believe before it can be moved. Other paperwork too but nothing to extreme. It's been a few years since I brought anything across so things may have changed since then. I'm not up to date on that stuff anymore

We bought a 950 corn planter and a Knight hydro push out of Canada last year. We always go through a dealer to facilitate the border crossing. They were both about a 4-5 hour drive one way to get delivered. Exchange rate is often good for us and bad for the guys up there 

I bought my Case 5250 NE of Calgary Alberta 1-1/2 years ago. Extremely nice condition at 7700 hours for $21,000 USD. No problem at all bringing it back over the border with a hand written receipt. Border patrol were very accommodating.

A few months later I went to Ontario for some equipment. US border patrol treated me as if I were a terrorist. The most disrespectful officer I have ever met. And the biggest A hole. I just could not believe how I was treated. I can take a lot of poop but after leaving there I had to pull over and shake the experience off for a bit. 

8 hours ago, Sresites said:

A few months later I went to Ontario for some equipment. US border patrol treated me as if I were a terrorist. The most disrespectful officer I have ever met. And the biggest A hole. I just could not believe how I was treated. I can take a lot of poop but after leaving there I had to pull over and shake the experience off for a bit. 

I have heard several stories like that .

I think they trained with the Iowa DOT. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
8 hours ago, Sresites said:

I bought my Case 5250 NE of Calgary Alberta 1-1/2 years ago. Extremely nice condition at 7700 hours for $21,000 USD. No problem at all bringing it back over the border with a hand written receipt. Border patrol were very accommodating.

I found the smaller border crossings are much better to deal with. We never have a issue with the US side, but a couple times coming back in to Canada was a hassle. Well I've never had any trouble but some family have stories

• Like 2
8 hours ago, db1486 said:

I found the smaller border crossings are much better to deal with. We never have a issue with the US side, but a couple times coming back in to Canada was a hassle. Well I've never had any trouble but some family have stories

Fellow I know locally used to buy and sell cars and trucks. He’d fly down to a auction in the states and buy half a dozzen vehicles and then have them driven back. This one particular auction I want to say was down in Arizona, can’t remember for sure. Anyways he picked up a fancy sports car along with a few others. Naturally the boss got to drive the sports car back. All went well till he got to the border and they did a search of the car. Low and behold they found some drugs under the seat. Kind of got in hot water over that one lol.  They let him across after a while but I think he was pretty nervous for a while lol. 

• Haha 1

I bought a 5288 last year from a man in new brunswick He was only 5 miles from the border and drove the tractor to line we exchanged paperwork I drove it on the trailer and was on my way. They do this a lot in my area I think it's because everyone knows everybody

• Like 1

Rocky Mountain Equipment "Deal Zone" used equipment lot six miles east of me in Eastern Kansas.  They are Canadian based, most of this equipment on their lot has came out of Canada.  Mostly red but I did see a Deere combine, a Massey combine and a couple of NH late model combines on their lot the other day, close to 30 used CIH combines from a 7088 all the way up to a 9240.  They also have maybe a dozen late model CIH tractors, including late model Quad Tracs and various large Magnums.

Things may be different by now but I had no trouble at all in 2008 when I bought my MX135 out of Manitoba. Hauled it my self. Went across at Pembina. Canadian guy asked a few questions went I went into CAN, US guy asked to look in my pickup when I came back in the States. Dealer made sure I had the paperwork to make the border people happy. I went through the non commercial line coming back in which caused some head scratching behind the window but I was on my way again in less than 20 minutes I think. 

14 hours ago, Sresites said:

you can file a complaint against the officer, I did that once and never had a problem after. But you have to be in the right

Nothing really wrong with buying stuff from Can-Ah-Da, if you check it out first. But you need to remember you're going to have to pay import duties based on the value as well as it's more expensive for transport, and remember the exchange rate. US being more than Can-ah-dian can get you more, sometimes. The the most difficult part is you gotta be proficient in using Eh ...Eh!

Got buds up onna Vancouver Island and they B about as removed from mainland from Can-ah-da proper as the US is from Can-ah-da....

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

I went through the non commercial line coming back in which caused some head scratching behind the window but I was on my way again in less than 20 minutes I think. 

Just the opposite for me coming back into Michigan from Ontario. Hauling for myself, I went through the commercial side and that started the officer’s attitude problem. “Follow the Got darN ?signage.” 
Well, I tried, there wasn’t a sign for what I was hauling. And I wasn’t an RV.  So I chose commercial. What a verbal whipping I took that day. Worse than my dad’s flyswatter handle. 

16 hours ago, Sresites said:

Had this happen a few times, usually a one off official, never saw the same one again, but around 40 years ago before the pace/nexus program started I had one guy who I saw periodically and every time he would bring me in for secondary this happened repeatedly, I finally asked him off on the side once why he pulled me over every time I come through and he’s in the booth, he motions to the IAFF sticker on my windshield, he says I don’t like the fact you try to play on the firefighter union sticker to get through the border, I said what I’ve worked for BFD since ‘72, what’s the problem there, he asks how do you get away with long hair, earrings and tattoos, I’ve got friends who are firefighters and they don’t look like you, well nothing I can say about that, after that he never pulled me in again, on top of that there was never anything ever found that could get me in hot water, just an attitude, the funny thing now is I go though the borders and guys are sleeved, earrings and all the same look as was looked down on all those years ago.

We meet dealer at border for big things like mowers etc.  Never used a broker, even for my 2013 Chevy truck.  Just drive over telling them I am buying a machine.  Hook 15' mower up to PU and come back.  Hand receipt to CUSTOMS agent [not border patrol, they get feisty when you call em the wrong agencies] and squeeeeeze through the scanner building.  Parts, absolutely nothing.  Just look in eye and tell facts.  Don't volunteer what they don't ask.  Yes/No etc.  You start rambling they start getting interested in you life story, blood type, weapons etc.  I have had a 3pt manure scraper blade in the back of a Farm Exempt chev pick-up and rolled right through. 

No duty on ag stuff.  Just got a new grain tank from BC.  Just tank price and GST tax.  Even set up included...loophole.  They "unload it" right on your pad.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Sresites said:

thats exactly why i quit going to Canada as a truck driver...as a U.S. citizen trying to get back into the U.S. was some of the worst experiences i ever had. going into Canada was a breeze, the Canadian border patrol practically just waved you in but the U.S. border patrol always gave me the 3rd degree and searched the truck, searched me, opened the trailer and went thru the cargo, x-rayed the load.

2 hours ago, Sresites said:

Well, I tried, there wasn’t a sign for what I was hauling.

LOL!  Ya I know.  As I pulled up I wondered what line to go through.  Then I thought, I’m nothing but a tourist with a mighty big souvenir.  So big it needs a tandem dual trailer to haul it.  And I have the papers to show that the EPA is ok with it coming into the US.  Thru the civilian line we go.  

2 hours ago, N S said:

But you need to remember you're going to have to pay import duties based on the value as well

I didn’t have to pay anything.  May have changed?  But I doubt it on farm equipment.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sresites said:

Just the opposite for me coming back into Michigan from Ontario. Hauling for myself, I went through the commercial side and that started the officer’s attitude problem. “Follow the Got darN ?signage.” 
Well, I tried, there wasn’t a sign for what I was hauling. And I wasn’t an RV.  So I chose commercial. What a verbal whipping I took that day. Worse than my dad’s flyswatter handle. 

Always resort to normal if in question.  Commercial guys aint as forgiving imho

I've got a lot of stories going through about payments, but now they don't collect, they tell us we aren't tax collectors so be up front and they wave us through, last year I bought a cone filter for the bike, 283.00 us, no bill because the company sent it to my us addy and didn't send paperwork until I paid for it "another long story" so up to the booth and declare the cleaner, asking how much, I didnt have a bill to show so he sends me in, I'm thinking how do I show what its worth and I remember one email where the company told me price, the border guy and I are going through my past mails and there it is, price 283.00 he says great cu later, no charge, good news.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:27 AM, lorenzo said:

I have heard several stories like that .

I think they trained with the Iowa DOT. 

DOT officers here are referred to as a CWB. (Cop Wanna Be).

They finally got sued for issuing traffic tickets for non-commercial violations and lost.