STX Steigers, what to look for and avoid

Tossing around the idea of upgrading to a newer Steiger with PTO, which looks to be the STX series. Somewhere around a 440 or larger.  Been browsing the ads and some of the early STX's caught my eye having a Cummins engine instead of the Iveco engines. Are the Cummins engines in them reliable? Cheaper to build than the Ivecos I would assume. What about transmission options? which ones should a guy stay away from? Can PTO's be added fairly easy? What year did they start that emissions crap? 2012? Any other problem areas/options to avoid? I see several scraper tractors, what's different on them than ag tractors besides hitch? 

PTO’s can be added, I’m not sure what there is for PTO electrical but the hard parts are pretty straightforward. 

PTO's are possibly expensive to obtain to install ?

I am interested in the verdict. We would like to have a stx something to replace the 9170 we have with pto. Probably hard to find one with pto in what I would like

@SDman Brad has questions 

47 minutes ago, red_reaper said:

Tossing around the idea of upgrading to a newer Steiger with PTO, which looks to be the STX series. Somewhere around a 440 or larger.  Been browsing the ads and some of the early STX's caught my eye having a Cummins engine instead of the Iveco engines. Are the Cummins engines in them reliable? Cheaper to build than the Ivecos I would assume. What about transmission options? which ones should a guy stay away from? Can PTO's be added fairly easy? What year did they start that emissions crap? 2012? Any other problem areas/options to avoid? I see several scraper tractors, what's different on them than ag tractors besides hitch? 

Hopefully sd chimes in or message him. His Knowledge of those is unbelievable. I myself would love to have a stx 4wd with a n14.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Hopefully sd chimes in or message him. His Knowledge of those is unbelievable. I myself would love to have a stx 4wd with a n14.

X3 on everything you are saying here , even the stx and N14 thought

just bought a stx 425 its alot like my 9380 i also have, just finished changing all fluids and filters cant see to much different to look for than any other steiger tractor 

as mentioned above i donno about the N14 anymore i thought it was the best thing ever to now since mine spun a main bearing destroying the block and the crank which i cant seem to find a replacement engine other than straight from cummins for to much  money 

5 minutes ago, wheatking said:

just bought a stx 425 its alot like my 9380 i also have, just finished changing all fluids and filters cant see to much different to look for than any other steiger tractor 

as mentioned above i donno about the N14 anymore i thought it was the best thing ever to now since mine spun a main bearing destroying the block and the crank which i cant seem to find a replacement engine other than straight from cummins for to much  money 

The higher hp Cummins in the semis sometimes had main bearing problems. The 400 hp m11s really has more of it lots of those blocks needed replacing. The more torque the engines put out the more stress on bearings and they will loosen or stretch main cap bolts. Really technically they call it main cap fretting. And cat engines will suffer from it some also. The N14 is a good somewhat reliable engine in the tractors.

Lots more STX’s with PTO’s than there were 9000 series.   And if someone is looking for a PTO to add on, I have one that was taken off a burned tractor that I’ll make you a deal on. 

• Like 2

STXs came out in 2001. For the sizes you're looking at, you have lots of choices.

• Gen. I STXs. The large-frame tractors started at the STX 375. In 2001, the STX440 was the only bigger model that was available. In 2002, the 440 was replaced by the 450 and a 425 model was added as well. Somewhere in 2003-04, the STX500 was added as well. These all had Cummins QSX15L engines(N14s were done by the time the STXs came out).
  • Gen. II STXs.  STX 480 and STX530s were the large-frame models. Cummins powered. The STX380 & 430 were considered medium-size chassis...they had Iveco 12.9L engines. Not a lot of these models out there...they were only built for 18 months-2 years in 2006-07.
  • Gen. III STXs(actually they were called Steigers by then, the STX name was dropped). The Steiger 385/435s were medium-size chassis, the 485/535s were considered large-chassis. The 385/435/485s used Ivecos, the 535 had a Cummins. These were built up until TierIVa emissions came out in 2011. 
  • Tier IVa models were 400/450/500/550/600s. 400/450/500 models used 12.9L Ivecos with single turbo, unit injectors. 550 & 600s used a 12.9L Iveco with twin turbochargers and common-rail fuel system.

Transmissions were 16-speed powershifts on pretty much everything. There was a synchromesh transmission available, but they were few and far between...and some parts for them are NLA as far as I know. We never sold any at our dealership, but there is one STX 375 and one 385 Steiger stick shift in my neighborhood.

PTOs can be added to any of them. Like has been said, many more STXs had factory PTOs that the older tractors. Pretty rare for us to sell bareback tractors anymore.

Scraper tractors do have some heavier driveline components depending on the model...but they usually get worked harder than a typical ag tractor does. Scraper tractors usually have a cheaper price due to higher hours and generally needing more repairs for their age. I tell guys to look for the backup alarm on a Steiger/Quadtrac...if its got one, I'd stay away from it. They usually have led a tough life. Seen many guys buy them because they're cheap...only to have a high $$$ engine/transmission/axle repair due to their rough operating life.

The 15L Cummins were a good engine for the most part. Check for oil leaks behind the front cover on the LH side of the engine where you fill the engine oil. Many of them have a leak there anymore...its a lot of labor to fix it and most of them need the front gear housing if they leak there.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, SDman said:

STXs came out in 2001. For the sizes you're looking at, you have lots of choices.

• Gen. I STXs. The large-frame tractors started at the STX 375. In 2001, the STX440 was the only bigger model that was available. In 2002, the 440 was replaced by the 450 and a 425 model was added as well. Somewhere in 2003-04, the STX500 was added as well. These all had Cummins QSX15L engines(N14s were done by the time the STXs came out).
  • Gen. II STXs.  STX 480 and STX530s were the large-frame models. Cummins powered. The STX380 & 430 were considered medium-size chassis...they had Iveco 12.9L engines. Not a lot of these models out there...they were only built for 18 months-2 years in 2006-07.
  • Gen. III STXs(actually they were called Steigers by then, the STX name was dropped). The Steiger 385/435s were medium-size chassis, the 485/535s were considered large-chassis. The 385/435/485s used Ivecos, the 535 had a Cummins. These were built up until TierIVa emissions came out in 2011. 
  • Tier IVa models were 400/450/500/550/600s. 400/450/500 models used 12.9L Ivecos with single turbo, unit injectors. 550 & 600s used a 12.9L Iveco with twin turbochargers and common-rail fuel system.

Transmissions were 16-speed powershifts on pretty much everything. There was a synchromesh transmission available, but they were few and far between...and some parts for them are NLA as far as I know. We never sold any at our dealership, but there is one STX 375 and one 385 Steiger stick shift in my neighborhood.

PTOs can be added to any of them. Like has been said, many more STXs had factory PTOs that the older tractors. Pretty rare for us to sell bareback tractors anymore.

Scraper tractors do have some heavier driveline components depending on the model...but they usually get worked harder than a typical ag tractor does. Scraper tractors usually have a cheaper price due to higher hours and generally needing more repairs for their age. I tell guys to look for the backup alarm on a Steiger/Quadtrac...if its got one, I'd stay away from it. They usually have led a tough life. Seen many guys buy them because they're cheap...only to have a high $$$ engine/transmission/axle repair due to their rough operating life.

The 15L Cummins were a good engine for the most part. Check for oil leaks behind the front cover on the LH side of the engine where you fill the engine oil. Many of them have a leak there anymore...its a lot of labor to fix it and most of them need the front gear housing if they leak there.

Thank you SD, that is AWESOME information!!  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, wheatking said:

From my personal experience  ....................   I dont like N14 engines.  They will pin hole the liners even when you have a water filter and do litmus tests trying to keep PH correct........ and they fret the block on 5 and 6 mains .... so yes if you dont catch it ... junk block     I will quit now because there will be hurt feelings.  With that being said ........ I have 3 junk N14s and cast here is currently 200 a ton 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Killer Red Mater said:

From my personal experience  ....................   I dont like N14 engines.  They will pin hole the liners even when you have a water filter and do litmus tests trying to keep PH correct........ and they fret the block on 5 and 6 mains .... so yes if you dont catch it ... junk block     I will quit now because there will be hurt feelings.  With that being said ........ I have 3 junk N14s and cast here is currently 200 a ton 

Would an older big cam 400 fit without too much adaption? 

@SDman

The 12.9 Iveco.  Good rep so far?  They are few seasons old now.  I am so far after near a year very impressed with the 6.7 in the 210.  So smooth and quiet.  If nothing else it seems Fiat has engines figured out.  Locally the shop says they never have opened one.

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

@SDman

The 12.9 Iveco.  Good rep so far?  They are few seasons old now.  I am so far after near a year very impressed with the 6.7 in the 210.  So smooth and quiet.  If nothing else it seems Fiat has engines figured out.  Locally the shop says they never have opened one.

In combines they haven’t been the most reliable. 

@TroyDairy a place in Maryland I was at last December had a stx with the 12.9 and it has water issues again. They had it worked on more than once . I was thinking they said that the newer ones that issue is fixed but I can be wrong

4 hours ago, jass1660 said:

In combines they haven’t been the most reliable. 

I don't mean to go off track. I had a discussion with a John Deere tech while we were doing engine work on the 12.5L in the 7400 chopper at the farm. I ask if an engine in a chopper or combine might have a shorter life due to it working harder. Compared to a tractor a combine or chopper spends most of its time at full throttle and under heavy load where I don't think a tractor engine is working as hard.

4 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I don't mean to go off track. I had a discussion with a John Deere tech while we were doing engine work on the 12.5L in the 7400 chopper at the farm. I ask if an engine in a chopper or combine might have a shorter life due to it working harder. Compared to a tractor a combine or chopper spends most of its time at full throttle and under heavy load where I don't think a tractor engine is working as hard.

I’ve always assumed that too but maybe idling around or even light loads like some tractors do is sometimes detrimental to engine longevity.    

13 hours ago, Killer Red Mater said:

I had two different neighbors lose their N14 in their tractors right around the 5,000 hr mark.  One was a NH 9884 and the other CIH 9380.  On the other hand I have Another neighbor who we do custom work for has two 9380s one over 8,000 hrs and the other over 4,000.  Neither one has been touched other then he rolled in a set of bearings on the 8,000 hr just for precaution.   

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

I had two different neighbors lose their N14 in their tractors right around the 5,000 hr mark.  One was a NH 9884 and the other CIH 9380.  On the other hand I have Another neighbor who we do custom work for has two 9380s one over 8,000 hrs and the other over 4,000.  Neither one has been touched other then he rolled in a set of bearings on the 8,000 hr just for precaution.   

seems to be the luck of the draw i guess i know of a 9370 that turned up has more hours and lived a tougher life than mine and still goin strong pulling a big drill every year 

hoping to still find a motor and get it running again but doesn't like like it gonna happen before seeding thus why we bought this stx wasn't looking to buy something but to rent a tractor is crazy expensive to 

N14s in 9300 series Steigers suffered from the same problem that the CDC 8.3L engines did when they put them in 1660/80 Axial-Flows....good engine in the wrong application. The 9300 series Steiger chassis was still setup to operate with the old 855 Cummins that ran 2100 engine RPM...the N14s didn't like that. They were a much better engine in the 16-1800 rpm range like they were in most trucks at that time(some didn't even run that fast).  Guys that wanted to run them at higher RPMs were disappointed in their power/performance/fuel economy. They just didn't have as good a reputation as the 855s did. Also, guys didn't like the engines locking up when you started them at operating temperature...that was a complaint they fought for most of their production. Also, they had some issues with camshaft flaking....they had us remove a plug on the oil cooler area to check for flakes/metal debris. If there was debris there, they had you replace a camshaft. If not, they had you install a different plug and mark the engine as being inspected. Hard to say how many of those engines eventually developed camshaft problems later on.

2 hours ago, SDman said:

N14s in 9300 series Steigers suffered from the same problem that the CDC 8.3L engines did when they put them in 1660/80 Axial-Flows....good engine in the wrong application. The 9300 series Steiger chassis was still setup to operate with the old 855 Cummins that ran 2100 engine RPM...the N14s didn't like that. They were a much better engine in the 16-1800 rpm range like they were in most trucks at that time(some didn't even run that fast).  Guys that wanted to run them at higher RPMs were disappointed in their power/performance/fuel economy. They just didn't have as good a reputation as the 855s did. Also, guys didn't like the engines locking up when you started them at operating temperature...that was a complaint they fought for most of their production. Also, they had some issues with camshaft flaking....they had us remove a plug on the oil cooler area to check for flakes/metal debris. If there was debris there, they had you replace a camshaft. If not, they had you install a different plug and mark the engine as being inspected. Hard to say how many of those engines eventually developed camshaft problems later on.

Not to get to far off subject. Around that time all the engine mfgs. Suffered cam failures. There is one serial range of c15 cats that had  bad parts, Detroit 60 series would sometimes need a cam replacement not as common as the others. When we change cams in the 855s local case ih  guy was old Cummins service guy. He does all their engines but for a case of beer and a little cash he would bring his cam bearing puller and pull the last bearing out with engine in frame. One day if I ever need it I am going to buy my own setup.