Florida water plant hack

dale560

The news had a deal about a computer hack at a Tampa area water treatment plant. The hacker turned up the ph adj chemicals from 100 ppm to 11,100 ppm. There are safeguards and alarm settings in most operations but they could be disabled or bypassed. My supervisor was just discussing stuff about this the other day. We have remote access for the city workers but it was just brought online again and 2 workers in street dept are messing with online settings every now and then. Wonderful world of technology

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

The news had a deal about a computer hack at a Tampa area water treatment plant. The hacker turned up the ph adj chemicals from 100 ppm to 11,100 ppm. There are safeguards and alarm settings in most operations but they could be disabled or bypassed. My supervisor was just discussing stuff about this the other day. We have remote access for the city workers but it was just brought online again and 2 workers in street dept are messing with online settings every now and then. Wonderful world of technology

I’m surprised nothing else has happened thus far. Imagine if these hackers were to half the treatment necessary for clean drinking water. If that happens think of the mass panic that would ensue...?

Everything is pushing for remote access. I DO NOT think this is a good thing. Opens the door for hackers to cause untold problems. Some could be very deadly. 

I personally don't want any wifi devices other than an iPad or laptop. I see no reason to have my fridge, garage door or furnace accessible via internet. I dang sure ain't gonna get an alexia either. And its even more scary in situations like Dale is telling about. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I personally don't want any wifi devices other than an iPad or laptop. I see no reason to have my fridge, garage door or furnace accessible via internet. I dang sure ain't gonna get an alexia either.

I agree 100%!!

• Like 5

At our plant there are alarms in the software if stuff gets to high or low. But they can be disabled. The Florida plant was reverse osmosis. They use caustic soda ( lye) to raise ph of water in initial process to aid in coagulating and settle particles. The lye is a base instead of acid and you want your finished water around 8.9 ph for corrosion and taste. Surprising the chemicals used to treat water and health problems they can cause. Fluoride added as a acid is bad in large qtys, the chlorine can kill you in a heartbeat, the polymer for coagulation has acrylimides in it that need to be monitored and reported and we use quick lime that makes a mess everywhere. At our plant the supervisor and the street sewer guy have plant controls on their I phones. And there are 2 iPads that are loaded as portable controls so lots of places to get hacked.

• Sad 1

We are doing hvac controls work and it’s a real concern for customers. Somehow people are breaking in through that?? Not sure, over my pay grade.

our water all comes from reservoir here, I always wondered just how many 55 gallon drums a guy could dump in there to “poison the watering hole”. With the way people are it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what’s next

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

If they can they will, it is an ego thing. Cannot leave people in peace

When everything hit's the fan. A guy's own well will be worth gold.

• Like 3

I'm surprised that this has not happened before, If a bunch of half witted morons can walk into the capital and snatch Nancy's lap top  any thing is possable 

All  my well heads are sealed. I never thought public water was  safe to drink

Several friends have doorbell and internal cameras in their homes connected to home Wi-Fi that they can remote view on their phones.

I hope they don't walk around their house naked much as none of that stuff is very hard to hack.....

Even sealed wellheads have vents for methane. Easy to put whatever thru the vent to contaminate a well. Our municipal wells were put inside locked buildings by order of the environmental inspectors but yet the vent still went to the outside and could still be accessed and damage done. 

Most water systems are on some type of SCADA system which links all the plant operating systems across the community, these systems lend them selves to remote access and allows the operations staff flexibility in operating the system without being at the facility. Municipalities like it cause they can do more with less staff but usually have to pay out maintenance fees to a computer programmer to keep abreast of changes and firewalls to keep system safe.  Worked for 35 years in the business and seen it all some good some bad.  Still waiting for the fire sale.

John

6 hours ago, Doc Egor said:

Several friends have doorbell and internal cameras in their homes connected to home Wi-Fi that they can remote view on their phones.

I hope they don't walk around their house naked much as none of that stuff is very hard to hack.....

Maybe Cindy Crawford has one of those wi-fi systems. if I only wasn't so computer stupid.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

She must be 60 by now? I’d be looking for someone a tad bit younger...

my mistake, 54. But still!

So your saying 54 is a problem. I wish I had aged that well. 

1 minute ago, Rawleigh99 said:

If you think the water plant is a problem, wait until they do it to the electrical grid!  All they have to do is mess with the hertz and it will fry most of the electronic equipment in the country!

Electric magnetic pulse. It’s a BIG concern for this Country but as usual nothing will be done except point fingers after the fact! 

8 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

If you think the water plant is a problem, wait until they do it to the electrical grid!  All they have to do is mess with the hertz and it will fry most of the electronic equipment in the country!

I think they did that once already in the northeast a few years ago. They hacked in and shut down the transmission lines.

It would be a bigger problem if they fried all of the consumer/commercial electronics rather than just shut it down.  There would be much more damage!  Some would be protected by surge protectors, but much would not.

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

When you're seventy, fifty four is young.?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

At my age any female look good.