4 hours ago, 756puller said:

What's everyone been hating reliance overhaul kits for? 

We overhauled two different 436 and both siezed within a year and a half. We had two Magnum overhauled at a truck garage and had problems with both since . Problem with the 436 was we rebuild them simultaneously and it wasn't until reading on here about others having issues with these kits that I put 2+2 together and realized that it could have been something with the quality of kits .  We had 20+k hours on the one 436 since we bought the one 1586 before we had to overhaul it the first time

If you have no choice and have to use one of those kits I would recommend you take it to a machine shop and have them install the sleeves then check for roundness , fit the pistons , and put them at the wide end of the spec , check ring gap , measure all the pistons and plastigage all the bearings if you choose to use there’s . I personally would get the bearings from a USA MFG , there’s are terrible quality, they comes banged up the notches are misaligned so when the bearing is in the rod or block the outside of the bearings don’t line up . Absolutely don’t use the gaskets , get them from OEM only . The last thing I will tell you is if you buy one and don’t do all the extra work to install it you will get to do it again . Oh and one more thing, when you call the guys you buy the kit from after it fails the first words out of them is , we can’t help you , it was put together wrong ?

Case IH don’t offer kits last I checked but Federal Mogal is still making the 400 series kits and there made 30 min from my shop , dry sleeve kits are China junk only . If your doing a Cummins get the kit from them , Cat offers all there kits , and I know JD offers there kits for most everything . Just go with OEM if you can . Just so you know , don’t go to the IH Truck Division for your 400 series engine kits , there made in China too , I talked first had the the manufacture of there kits .
Keep in mind who is paying the bill when it fails and I will tell you right now who it is ?

Good Luck , Danny

• Like 2

I used one of those china kits in an oliver 770 gas, had the machine shop put it together  and has been on a silo blower for 3 years so far so good, but I don't think I'd take that chance again,  OEM or Made in USA from now on. I've heard too many bad stories

I'm just curious, place I wrench at on weekends had me do two 1066s. One I overhauled and basically sat a year. They were using it to go feed cows. As they were going it just slowly started loosing speed. I did use reliance  in those. Guy that owns the shop said put the kit in. Thinking a ring has locked up the motor tight.

1 hour ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

If you have no choice and have to use one of those kits I would recommend you take it to a machine shop and have them install the sleeves then check for roundness , fit the pistons , and put them at the wide end of the spec , check ring gap , measure all the pistons and plastigage all the bearings if you choose to use there’s . I personally would get the bearings from a USA MFG , there’s are terrible quality, they comes banged up the notches are misaligned so when the bearing is in the rod or block the outside of the bearings don’t line up . Absolutely don’t use the gaskets , get them from OEM only . The last thing I will tell you is if you buy one and don’t do all the extra work to install it you will get to do it again . Oh and one more thing, when you call the guys you buy the kit from after it fails the first words out of them is , we can’t help you , it was put together wrong ?

Case IH don’t offer kits last I checked but Federal Mogal is still making the 400 series kits and there made 30 min from my shop , dry sleeve kits are China junk only . If your doing a Cummins get the kit from them , Cat offers all there kits , and I know JD offers there kits for most everything . Just go with OEM if you can . Just so you know , don’t go to the IH Truck Division for your 400 series engine kits , there made in China too , I talked first had the the manufacture of there kits .
Keep in mind who is paying the bill when it fails and I will tell you right now who it is ?

Good Luck , Danny

Federal Mogul had stopped making these kits but they have made them again in 250 sleeve piston assessmbly quantities. Restoration, tractor sales had ordered 42 kits for the 436 and I think he has the 466 also. It was quite the investment for him 

5 hours ago, acem said:

So whats available made in the usa?

Federal Mogul, not sure what else if anyone else offers a kit . IH is just repackaged someone else I think

52 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Caseih is souced from reliance.

I suspected that. Often the dealership will sell you a reliance aftermarket without the case IH package only saving money not increasing the quality

Just now, bitty said:

I suspected that. Often the dealership will sell you a reliance aftermarket without the case IH package only saving money not increasing the quality

Got a rear main seal  or a gasket  or something from caseih for a dt engine and the caseih package had the reliance prefix printed on it.

1 minute ago, dale560 said:

rear main seal

Not sure now but I know for a fact that the standard rear main from CNH had Reliance printed right on the seal. Had a CNH parts rep setting in my office one day at dealer ship telling me how we needed to be using OEM parts. I said hold on went to parts came back with new rear main, ask him to tell me if CNH bag was opened, nope it wasn't so I told him to go ahead an open it, then read to me what it said on seal. "RELIANCE" pulled it up on computer and showed him the price difference between CNH an Aftermarket. Next I ask him what I should do..........never did give me a straight answer. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

That would make any parts rep squirm!  Telling and showing them the truth!  Good for you!?

• Like 4

If you had an 806 for instance so a dry sleeve engine that needed to be rebuilt, where would you go? Is there anywhere in the IS that makes quality parts, even if they are expensive.  Like where do tractor pullers get stuff? They must have special people who make oversized sleeves and pistons.  I don’t thinknour 806 needs to be rebuilt at the moment but would like to be able to with OEM quality parts when the time comes if it’s at all possible 

14 minutes ago, Bdse25 said:

If you had an 806 for instance so a dry sleeve engine that needed to be rebuilt, where would you go? Is there anywhere in the IS that makes quality parts, even if they are expensive.  Like where do tractor pullers get stuff? They must have special people who make oversized sleeves and pistons.  I don’t thinknour 806 needs to be rebuilt at the moment but would like to be able to with OEM quality parts when the time comes if it’s at all possible 

My 450 has dry sleeves and I had it rebuilt at a reputable shop. One of the bores was gouged by a previous "mechanic" and they over bored it and had a custom sleeve built for it . I know it's not completely answering the question but it's possible. Dry sleeves are possibly easier to custom make I am guessing

Normally dry sleeves are finished like kits you get. I have had a couple of Perkins kits that sleeve needed to be bored after installation. Kits change though some of the same older Perkins kits had finished sleeves in them. I had a Perkins the sleeves were loose in . Machine shop bored engine installed sleeves then bored them to accept the factory sleeves. Used to be common on 350 Chevy engines to find a really used engine that needed a sleeve installed.

2 hours ago, Bdse25 said:

Try Mahle aftermarket, clevite, they had some D282 parts, maybe they’ll have better supply of 361 engine parts

19 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Good Luck , Danny

I have had a set of each of reliance on a 806 LP and a 806 Diesel be bad . 
until we had machine shop do what Danny said above on the second go around on both .

tony 

• Thanks 1

WOW,getting to be sad about these parts. I have backed off doing alot of this stuff for people for this reason.Everything Danny said is spot on with here with all our shops having trouble. 

• Like 2

My Hydro 100 doesn't use any oil and has 4200 hours. After reading all this almost gives a person the idea of pulling the sleeves leaving the piston in, rotating the sleeve half way, put new o-rings on and put it back together. Lol! I'm not going to do that but a wild thought. Winter of '88-'89 dealership got a 4568 in on trade for a new Magnum. Someone noticed after it sat on the lot it was getting water in the oil. Turned out it was o-rings leaking  They pulled the engine, replaced all the o-rings, turned the sleeves and put it back together.

• Haha 1

kinda sad, never thought I'd see the day I couldn't get a USA made engine kit for a 1976 1066 .................I guess 1976 was a wile ago..........seems like yesterday

• Like 3

Kinda sorta related.

I'm rebuilding the C113 now and I'm using a "Red Power" kit I got about ten years ago. Any opinions on the quality?

Used one In my 756 a few years ago. I had no complaints. I had my machinist fit up everything. He said he was actually happy with it. We both expected the worse. I actually told him to buy 1 reliance and 1 Bepco kit and use what he saw fit best. He said let's get the one and see first. Lol

Several hundred hours later on feed grinder and discbine with a hair dryer it's still chugging along ?

Not gonna lie I'm not proud of it but hands were tied.