5 Brand New 460’s

Bought a book titled International Trucks of the 1950s at the I-80 truck stop last summer when BJ and I visited Farmall Land. Finally getting around to reading it and found this picture.

The caption reads:

Crouch Bros. Inc. of St. Joseph, Missouri, seen here pulling a flatbed trailer, owned this ACOF Sightliner. It has the 48” cab, standard cast spoke wheels and most likely the V-549 gasoline engine. The 48” cabs were short but there was plenty of room for comfort. The load contains International 460 tractors.

566AF388-4B20-409A-8B40-287E9747F745.thumb.jpeg.7ba2aea4932fcdf8e5e3f6c78721cc1a.jpeg

• Like 13

Cool pic. Probably the most 460 utility LP’s I’ve ever seen in one spot. If that truck had the 549 gas engine, I wonder how many gallons to the mile it was getting?

If that truck had the 549 gas engine, I wonder how many gallons to the mile it was getting?

on real gas  3-7

running around job site about 3 per hr

Ken Updyke’s book, IH Identification Guide lists the average shipping weight for a 460 International as 5300 lbs. That makes that a 26,500 lb. load. 
Pretty interesting the way they stacked those last 3 tractors. 

OMG. That pic brings back memories of my dad’s new 460 utility. He used to do a lot of custom plowing around Sioux City back in the day.  That was one snortin little beast. First thing I learned to drive at age 8. The stories around that tractor I can remember. LOL

• Like 1

Awesome picture! 
Ken, I didn’t think they did the Brass Tacks demo with the utilities?

9 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Anyone notice the tie down methods, especially the location of the first one's front wheels? DOT would love it I suppose. Pretty cool picture. 

I noticed that right away. Rears tied down and fronts to the rears of the one in front of it. ??