Tracked skid steers

40 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

My little bit of experience is the wheeled skid steer does much less damage to the hay ground which is important to me.

If I didn't need a tracked machine I would really consider a compact wheel loader. I think that is the ticket for stuff like that

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They would probably work better with a 4th wheel. 

Be aware you need a door you can kick out to get out if need be. Have you looked at JCB?  I like the side door access.  

The Boss has owned several skidsteers over the years.  This Cat 289D has stayed.  Just installed new drive sprockets and camoplast tracks today.  The yard guys all like running it!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, db1486 said:

Thay appear similar, and somewhat the same design but they are not the same. Mustang didn't make a 90+ horse machine after the Takeuchi. They did add a VT3200 a few years back. 110hp deutz I believe in it. Big machine to compete with all the other brands. I kinda like a few of the options on the mustang units. They even switched to the flip up door a few years back. I like the cab setups on them. But if you sit in a new Tak and a new gehl/Mustang you will see t

he difference

The 3.8 Kubota is used in a few different machine. Kubota, Takeuchi, and I believe Cat still uses it in the 299D3

i was referring to these

https://www.gehl.com/equipment/track-loaders/vt320

http://www.mustangmfg.com/equipment/track-loaders/3200vt

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

Thats the ones. Nothing at all Tak about them. Those ones don't even have pilot valves. They went elec over hyd on the joysticks on those machines even iirc.  Quite the beast of a machine from what I'm told though

I've been just reading along on this topic. We are in the market for another skid loader. Always have owned/used Bobcats. Never operated a tracked model. I was amazed at how the values hold up. I bought a new 773 in the late 90s and i swear they are near the same price now with 3000 hrs on them.

Fast forward to today. Trying to figure out sizes and whether we want tracks or tires(with tracks over tires). It will be a multi use machine between the farm, construction(concrete), snow removal, fencerow clearing, and a little site prep work for my shed expansion project in the planning stages. It will be a Bobcat branded machine for sure. We are tossing around whether to go 500 series? 600 series? Tracks? Wheels with grouser tracks on in summer-off for snow pushing business?

I already know some dont like hand controls, some hate foot controls, i don't care about any of that. We can run either way...not that tough to adapt. Just wondering power vs weight vs traction vs THE CHECKBOOK

Thanks

• Like 1

That dang checkbook always finds a way to sneak into the equation.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, new guy said:

I've been just reading along on this topic. We are in the market for another skid loader. Always have owned/used Bobcats. Never operated a tracked model. I was amazed at how the values hold up. I bought a new 773 in the late 90s and i swear they are near the same price now with 3000 hrs on them.

Fast forward to today. Trying to figure out sizes and whether we want tracks or tires(with tracks over tires). It will be a multi use machine between the farm, construction(concrete), snow removal, fencerow clearing, and a little site prep work for my shed expansion project in the planning stages. It will be a Bobcat branded machine for sure. We are tossing around whether to go 500 series? 600 series? Tracks? Wheels with grouser tracks on in summer-off for snow pushing business?

I already know some dont like hand controls, some hate foot controls, i don't care about any of that. We can run either way...not that tough to adapt. Just wondering power vs weight vs traction vs THE CHECKBOOK

Thanks

The checkbook is why I don't have one yet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For general farm use it's hard to beat a tire machine on Michelin Bibsteel radial tires and over the tire tracks when needed.  For the price of one track machine we've got two really good wheel machines,  one currently has Grouser tracks on it and the other tire chains.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Cliff Neubauer said:

For general farm use it's hard to beat a tire machine on Michelin Bibsteel radial tires and over the tire tracks when needed.  For the price of one track machine we've got two really good wheel machines,  one currently has Grouser tracks on it and the other tire chains.

amen to chains/tracks for the farm - no better combo - run circles around my cousin with his rubber tracked machine but he can run circles around me for the rest of the stuff, thats why they make both. I have driven my SS down banks, hills that you could not walk down outside of sliding down on your but. Back up them too with bar tracks on, cut the road in with it while my cousin on his rubber tracked machine went down and could NOT get back up the hill period. He worked the bottom while i pushed the dirt back to him until he could get back up the hill. 

Its all about your application - I love them both but two very different beasts

The Boss has owned several skidsteers over the years.  This Cat 289D has stayed.  Just installed new drive sprockets and camoplast tracks today.  The yard guys all like running it!

20210212_154643.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, new guy said:

Thanks

Are you looking at new or close to new? A few years ago Bobcat came out with a similiar design suspended undercarriage and 1 piece cab like the Cat machines. I haven't had the chance to run one yet. But I think they look pretty decent. One thing that I have never liked on the bobcat ctl's is the lack of ground clearance. Always getting hung up. The T550 at work goes pretty decent, but the 317G Deere we had last year would out work it and I never had issues getting hung up. A neighbour rented a t770 a few years ago and got it hung up piling manure. Couldn't push himself out and it was one heck of a tug to try and move it. I have never once had my Mustang, same size machine, hang up in manure or mud. I also got probably 6 or so inches more ground clearance. The times I did need a rescue, it really doesn't matter what color it is, it would've been just as bad lol

If your set on bobcat, I'd check out the new Ctl's and see what they're like, but if you're looking used, it might be hard to beat a wheeled machine. From what I see, bobcat makes one heck of a good wheeled machine. They been at it a long time and got it figured out. For a tracked machine, there's another brand that pioneered them. That's just my opinion. 

If we were just grain farming here and needed a machine for yard use, landscaping, odd jobs, snow removal, etc, I woulda bought a wheeled machine. But having cattle, and doing bushwork, dirtwork, fencing, and all of the above, you couldn't pay me to have a wheeled machine unless it stays in the yard. Some swampy ground I have walked that machine over is scary, and I know a wheeled machine wouldn't have gotten close. You put the right tracks on and traction is no issue either

• Thanks 1

For you guys that are familiar with 2 speed machines...Is it ok to push snow across a parking lot or down a lane in high or does that cause future issues?

1 hour ago, db1486 said:

Are you looking at new or close to new? A few years ago Bobcat came out with a similiar design suspended undercarriage and 1 piece cab like the Cat machines. I haven't had the chance to run one yet. But I think they look pretty decent. One thing that I have never liked on the bobcat ctl's is the lack of ground clearance. Always getting hung up. The T550 at work goes pretty decent, but the 317G Deere we had last year would out work it and I never had issues getting hung up. A neighbour rented a t770 a few years ago and got it hung up piling manure. Couldn't push himself out and it was one heck of a tug to try and move it. I have never once had my Mustang, same size machine, hang up in manure or mud. I also got probably 6 or so inches more ground clearance. The times I did need a rescue, it really doesn't matter what color it is, it would've been just as bad lol

If your set on bobcat, I'd check out the new Ctl's and see what they're like, but if you're looking used, it might be hard to beat a wheeled machine. From what I see, bobcat makes one heck of a good wheeled machine. They been at it a long time and got it figured out. For a tracked machine, there's another brand that pioneered them. That's just my opinion. 

If we were just grain farming here and needed a machine for yard use, landscaping, odd jobs, snow removal, etc, I woulda bought a wheeled machine. But having cattle, and doing bushwork, dirtwork, fencing, and all of the above, you couldn't pay me to have a wheeled machine unless it stays in the yard. Some swampy ground I have walked that machine over is scary, and I know a wheeled machine wouldn't have gotten close. You put the right tracks on and traction is no issue either

Looking for something in the 500-1000 hr range. Seems like that is the sweet spot for pricing. Really leaning hard toward a wheeled unit with over the tire tracks. Take the tracks off when the snow season arrives. Maybe watch for some snow tires with rims to pop up used?

2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

20210212_154643.jpg

Just checked out machinery trader to see what these bring. A little steep for a fledgling business venture between me and the boys. Maybe next time around we could step up to something this size. For now we need to cash flow it between all our little enterprises...

5 hours ago, mader656 said:

One of the fence guys I know runs these his machine is a beast as far as where it goes.

https://www.pro-lynx.ca/

They look pretty cool but wouldn't it be about the same as grousers? But a lot more $$ by the time you figure the extra cost of the track machine plus the Lynx bars?

A friend just bought a 287 CAT with the ASV undercarriage. Called this morning asking if I knew how to put tracks back on. ASV sounds like a real pain to me.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

For you guys that are familiar with 2 speed machines...Is it ok to push snow across a parking lot or down a lane in high or does that cause future issues?

Depends on the snow. Heavy wet stuff pushing through I run low. Chasing ridges or pushing from a pile across the yard to where I pile it up I run high. All depends on conditions. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, new guy said:

Looking for something in the 500-1000 hr range. Seems like that is the sweet spot for pricing. Really leaning hard toward a wheeled unit with over the tire tracks. Take the tracks off when the snow season arrives. Maybe watch for some snow tires with rims to pop up used?

That really is the hours that make the most sense. Kinda where I been looking to get in to a 1 or 2 year old machine. Price seems to hold pretty steady from there up to 2000 hours.

There are actually some rubber over the tire tracks out there that are excellent in snow. Problem is I believe they are hard on the drives. Our smaller Deeres at work run them. The 313 is on hydro #3. Been good since we quit putting those tracks on it. One thing that drives me crazy with the over the tire tracks is that it raises the machine up. Can't put the pallet forks or grapple or bucket down flat on the ground. Same with the snowblower. I really haven't explored the wheel options, so I don't know a whole bunch but there are some different options for snow and ice. I believe there are some airless tires that are supposed to have the flex like a radial tire and have unreal traction and ride, and never go flat. But honestly with a set of all season tracks on a ctl I'll out push tires any day. Unless it's melting out

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, new guy said:

They look pretty cool but wouldn't it be about the same as grousers? But a lot more $$ by the time you figure the extra cost of the track machine plus the Lynx bars?

Not sure on price I know his ctl goes places it should not with a 3000 lb pounder on the front....

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

What is your budget,  New Guy?  We have several Bobcat units here.

Thinking 25 to 35 region depending on size, conditions, hours of course. Never thought to check Colfax....guess i didn't know you guys had them too. PM me

1 hour ago, mmi said:

what are NH L 170 going for $ in your area?

what all are they minus..? turbo,good hyd pump,3rd valve, high flow,2 spd

NH almost non existent around here other than some discbines. Deere would be closest, Bobcat 2nd and Cat would be 1 hr away for support.

Around here CAT tech's kind of work out of their house. So, while our dealer is 40 minutes away, the tech literally drives within a half mile of our shop every day. I know every dealer is different, but these folks have been great to work with.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:32 AM, new guy said:

Thinking 25 to 35 region depending on size, conditions, hours of course. Never thought to check Colfax....guess i didn't know you guys had them too. PM me

Colfax has everything — Jeff even showed me a Corvette a couple years ago