I think I am almost done with the taking apart phase. The engine wouldn't turn all the way over, thanks to cylinder #4. Sleeve is pitted, so need to replace. Head is at shop for checking. I got the bad wheel off, and took the brakes apart to loosen the linkages. Gas tank will be done next week. Starter and generator were done weeks ago. Fenders will be coming off, but right now, they are an extra flat spot for parts boxes.

815656552_2021-01-2617_01_42.thumb.jpg.c5720e2831ad1a5449af58f78f7b0660.jpg

812518077_2021-01-2617_02_27.thumb.jpg.5e58a131847a3d894c70685a70d0e688.jpg

468844935_2021-02-0513_05_38.thumb.jpg.884836cef9d1c285bd6a6f4962b195e2.jpg

• Like 7

Making good headway Bill!

we got the pitted sleeve changed saturday. started changing the main bearings. We had taken a main apart a week ago. Rod bearing had .010 engraved into them. Main had no marking like that. So ordered standard mains. When we took the front main off, found 101010 stamped like a rubber ink pad stamper would do. Haven't seen that before. Now to wait for new main bearings to come. And figure out what to do with the other bearing set.

You are getting there for sure. Would a guy know what to do if he got it all right the very first time? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, ny bill o said:

we got the pitted sleeve changed saturday. started changing the main bearings. We had taken a main apart a week ago. Rod bearing had .010 engraved into them. Main had no marking like that. So ordered standard mains. When we took the front main off, found 101010 stamped like a rubber ink pad stamper would do. Haven't seen that before. Now to wait for new main bearings to come. And figure out what to do with the other bearing set.

Maybe the block has been linebored .010 oversize, and the crank ground to .010 undersize.  Measurements would tell for sure.

On 2/6/2021 at 10:03 AM, ny bill o said:

I think I am almost done with the taking apart phase. The engine wouldn't turn all the way over, thanks to cylinder #4. Sleeve is pitted, so need to replace. Head is at shop for checking. I got the bad wheel off, and took the brakes apart to loosen the linkages. Gas tank will be done next week. Starter and generator were done weeks ago. Fenders will be coming off, but right now, they are an extra flat spot for parts boxes.

815656552_2021-01-2617_01_42.thumb.jpg.c5720e2831ad1a5449af58f78f7b0660.jpg

812518077_2021-01-2617_02_27.thumb.jpg.5e58a131847a3d894c70685a70d0e688.jpg

468844935_2021-02-0513_05_38.thumb.jpg.884836cef9d1c285bd6a6f4962b195e2.jpg

I have a good block crank and cam if you need it  would need new sleeves but the rest is good

14 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I have a good block crank and cam if you need it  would need new sleeves but the rest is good

Where in Maine are you?

I may be able to help you and Bill get together!

59 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

thanks for the offer, but I think we will be good with different main bearings.

Jeff is always up for a road trip.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Where in Maine are you?

I may be able to help you and Bill get together!

I have a farm in Northern Maine  and a fab shop in southern Maine west of Portland where are you?

Is this the one you offered to sell me with a rose bush growing out of it?

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I have a farm in Northern Maine  and a fab shop in southern Maine west of Portland where are you?

Hes in NY, ignore him, he's like a troll only worse. 

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Is this the one you offered to sell me with a rose bush growing out of it?

no, I'm using that one for sheet metal parts for this high utility.

1 hour ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

my wife grew up in Auburn, Me.

11 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

my wife grew up in Auburn, Me.

No kidding, where are you in NY I grew up on a farm in Baldwinsville NY from 1963-1974

1 hour ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

No kidding, where are you in NY I grew up on a farm in Baldwinsville NY from 1963-1974

I'm just east of Binghamton. I bought my 800 corn planter from Abbot's in Baldwinsville.

42 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

I'm just east of Binghamton. I bought my 800 corn planter from Abbot's in Baldwinsville.

New the abbots well they were good friends with parents Windsor Abbot used to combine for us in the 60's and I took the 4-H tractor driving corse on there farm in 1969

Small world , you must have bought that 800 off Windsors son.

3 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

New the abbots well they were good friends with parents Windsor Abbot used to combine for us in the 60's and I took the 4-H tractor driving corse on there farm in 1969

3 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

Ask your wife if she ever skied at lost valley when she lived in Auburn

13 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

Ask your wife if she ever skied at lost valley when she lived in Auburn

she says yes, mostly in connection with Girl Scout outings.

where is your fab shop? After inlaws retired, they moved to Minot. Both gone now. Actually, Lost Valley was on the way between Minot and the city.

6 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

where is your fab shop? After inlaws retired, they moved to Minot. Both gone now. Actually, Lost Valley was on the way between Minot and the city.

Gorham and Buxton Two shops 1 for working on tractors and one for making money, used to ski lost Valley 73-74 mostly night sking

13 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

Hauled wood through Minot in the 80's they had a low RR bridge intown and had to go around it, Pain in the azz

4 hours ago, ny bill o said:

4 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

Small world indeed.  We used to sell seed potatoes to the Abbots.

I am in Northern New York State.

Pay no attention to MTO’s unruly nephew from Vermont.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Small world indeed.  We used to sell seed potatoes to the Abbots.

I am in Northern New York State.

Pay no attention to MTO’s unruly nephew from Vermont.

I remember Abbot's growing some potatoes in the 60's I also remember some guy getting wound up in a PTO shaft, as I recall they were digging and this jumped on the back of the tractor to talk to the driver and got sucked into the PTO, not sure how he made out but it was talk of the town .

Abbot's had mostly CASE in the 60's as I recall then went to IH