1486 T/A

Josh

When the T/A is in high range, once the hydraulic oil is good and warm, when you press and release the clutch it will not move and the red hydraulic pressure light stays on, however, it would continue to work all day if you were to never push the clutch in, everything seems to work perfectly normal when the hydraulic oil is still cool, When the T/A is in low range it won't move at all anymore. I'm assuming everyone will tell me the T/A is shot and needs to be replaced, but before I do that I'm just wondering why it starts acting up only when I push the clutch in? The mcv pump is new. Back when these problems started you could pull the T/A back into low range and get it moving and then push it ahead into high and it would keep moving, if you were to park it facing down hill and get it rolling when you shift it into gear it will keep going.

Educated guess, but I would say that the TA unit is leaking through some seals somewhere. Oil is thicker when it is cold, and it leaks less. When it warms up it leaks more.

Regardless, your TA is in pretty bad shape and not long for this world the way it sounds.

TA's going bad can make the tractor do strange things. I've had several in which I thought it couldn't be the TA, has to be pump problem or a valve. Always ended up being TA itself. Had one that wouldn't move until you pushed a brake...then it would take off and work fine in both sides. Drove it like that for a couple years. Nothing I did fixed it. Until I replaced the unit. 

On 2/6/2021 at 7:53 PM, TB5288 said:

TA's going bad can make the tractor do strange things. I've had several in which I thought it couldn't be the TA, has to be pump problem or a valve. Always ended up being TA itself. Had one that wouldn't move until you pushed a brake...then it would take off and work fine in both sides. Drove it like that for a couple years. Nothing I did fixed it. Until I replaced the unit. 

Nobody ever wants it to be the TA, even though they know deep down that it is. Some go to such lengths, "adjusting" and "fixing" things other than the TA, that it almost needs to be its own mental disorder... TA Denial Syndrome, maybe?

10 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Nobody ever wants it to be the TA, even though they know deep down that it is. Some go to such lengths, "adjusting" and "fixing" things other than the TA, that it almost needs to be its own mental disorder... TA Denial Syndrome, maybe?

I don't understand why either.  It's not that hard of a job to put them in. 

Direct drive piston seal is worn. When oil is cold it is more viscuos and able to build pressure behind seal. That pressure pushes seal out to cylinder wall sealing piston until clutch is pushed. Pulling dump valve which dumps pressure on that piston. Now with thinner oil to much leaks past piston. Unable to build pressure to force seal out again. Anything that causes a surge in flow (such as pumping brakes, shifting ta or steering pressure fluctuations) may cause it to suddenly seal. The reason for the dump valve question first is that if it sticks open when you step on the pedal. It won't move then either.

Yes you need a ta.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1