Hy-Tran is PREMUM now...

Sorry if this has been discussed and is old news, but I just pulled up the CaseIH website, and looks like our favorite lubricating substance to argue about has been upgraded again.

Not sure what the improvements are, but everyone that's figured out how to pronounce, "Ultraction" can stop now, LOL.

It shall hereto forth be known as Hy-Tran PREMIUM.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As far as CNH's oil offerings, yes the Hy-Tran Premium is supposed to be cheaper to sell. CNH keeps saying a price decrease of 20-30% for Hy-Tran Premium as compared to Hy-Tran Ultraction. The price d

Sorry if this has been discussed and is old news, but I just pulled up the CaseIH website, and looks like our favorite lubricating substance to argue about has been upgraded again. Not sure what

More importantly, "WHERE ARE MY NLA PART NUMBERS???!!!"""

Posted Images

This is because CNH changed from their long time supplier Viscosity Oil to Shell to produce Hytran.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Sorry if this has been discussed and is old news, but I just pulled up the CaseIH website, and looks like our favorite lubricating substance to argue about has been upgraded again.

Not sure what the improvements are, but everyone that's figured out how to pronounce, "Ultraction" can stop now, LOL.

It shall hereto forth be known as Hy-Tran PREMIUM.

More importantly, "WHERE ARE MY NLA PART NUMBERS???!!!"""

Let Women Pray in General Conference (explained by gifs ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Shell Oil Company is the new supplier now ? I sure hope there going to use our old recipe or I will hunt down  Viscosity Oil Company to find out where I can get our old oil . Our dealership had the oil meeting on line and they said there oil will meet our specs and they were only changing to save all of us money when buying oil ? In today’s world I will believe it when I see it that the oil will be cheaper than it is today ??Have any of you guys that work at Case IH yet today know anymore details ? 

Danny 

• Like 1

On another note,  

what do you guys do with the used HyTran after you change it out?  

I give all my used oil to a neighbor that burns it in a shop heater. Some of you guys live in warm enough climates that you don’t have that option.  I just wonder if there’s a better alternative to just burning it. It’s really a shame it somehow cannot be recycled and reused somehow brought back up to standard but evidently there is no way to do that. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

On another note,  

I give all my used oil to a neighbor that burns it in a shop heater. Some of you guys live in warm enough climates that you don’t have that option.  I just wonder if there’s a better alternative to just burning it. It’s really a shame it somehow cannot be recycled and reused somehow brought back up to standard but evidently there is no way to do that. 

I run it in my leaky tractors, particularly two 1086s with loaders on them.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

On another note,  

The Hy-Tran of the 70's would not burn.

Has that changed?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
9 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The Hy-Tran of the 70's would not burn.

Has that changed?

I’ve always burned it but not 70’s oil 

• Like 1

It works nice to seal trailer floors ?

I put that stuff on everything.... 

I give it to my bil with an oil heater as well. A source tells me it burns very clean in a wood boiler a qt at a time. Especially on green wood I'm told ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

On another note,  

Here in Iowa oil retailers are supposed to take back used oil or refer customers to a recycler.  Our local landfill collects used oil at no charge.  
At the Cat dealership we had a large (5000 gal?) tank that all used oil went into and a recycler picked it up.  

Maybe that is where yellow bucket oil comes from??

Brian

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, ZG6E said:

I run it in my leaky tractors, particularly two 1086s with loaders on them.

Oh.  I thought I was the only one that did that.  Used transmission oil from my MX Maxxums goes in my 856 as it marks its territory worse than a tomcat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, E160BHM said:

Here in Iowa oil retailers are supposed to take back used oil or refer customers to a recycler.  Our local landfill collects used oil at no charge.  
At the Cat dealership we had a large (5000 gal?) tank that all used oil went into and a recycler picked it up.  

Maybe that is where yellow bucket oil comes from??

Brian

The guys that use the yellow bucket oil scatter it over the whole farm one drip at a time. Better oil gets recycled.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Shell Oil Company is the new supplier now ? I sure hope there going to use our old recipe or I will hunt down  Viscosity Oil Company to find out where I can get our old oil . Our dealership had the oil meeting on line and they said there oil will meet our specs and they were only changing to save all of us money when buying oil ? In today’s world I will believe it when I see it that the oil will be cheaper than it is today ??Have any of you guys that work at Case IH yet today know anymore details ? 

Danny 

Let’s us know if you find out any useful information on the matter please. 

Worked in 4 different dealer shops for nearly 30 years now....and they've all been heated by waste oil heat to some degree, usually in conjunction with some other heat source to supplement the waste oil. The shop that I worked in longest was my old boss' shop....and the ONLY source of heat in there was waste oil. In our new Titan store, the waste oil runs a burner/boiler system that distributes heat throughout the whole building by hot water heated by waste oil.  We burn pretty much everything but water in it...doesn't seem to be too fussy about what you feed it. Not sure, but I think we can hold 2-3000 gallons in our tanks at the store, plus we use old, empty 275/330 gallon totes to hold more waste oil. I think the biggest reason Titan does it that way is so you don't have any "environmental fees" or responsibilities from having to deal with disposing of used oil.

That being said, dealing with waste oil for heat has to be one of the most expensive ways to get "free heat" in all my years dealing with it. Seems like waste oil furnaces are like dealing with old snowmobiles....you work on them for 5 hours to get 5 minutes use out of them. Cleaning the burnt ash from burning waste oil is a never-ending deal...dirt, mud, hay, etc., tends to find its way into the waste oil system because everybody just dumps the waste oil and whatever else is in the waste oil into the waste oil tank.

• Like 1

Built my current shop on 1999, installed a waste oil furnace from Clean Burn. It has been one of my best investments so far. Every summer the company comes around and completely services it. Cost anywhere from a 2-600 buck depending on what it needs. I keep shop thermostat at 70 degrees to stay ahead of the supply always hoping to have tank empty by spring. We drain everything in a screen top 55 gallon barrel then pump to main holding tank, pull off about 6-7 inches from bottom and never have any problems with furnace. When we purchased this furnace we could get a 50% tax credit thru Virginia if we posted we where a "waste oil collection center" elected not to do this as we felt it would bring its own set of problems. 

I can walk out in shop with infrared temp gun and measure within 1-2 degrees from floor to ceiling, 68-70 degrees. I don't think the ceiling fans have ever been turned of since they where installed, on high in summer and low in winter.  

The only down side to forced air heat is keeping the dust down in shop. Does anybody use wall / ceiling mounted air cleaners?

Back to Lorenzo's question we pump a lot of oil out of tractors so its filtered. Store this in a barrel and use in skid steer chain cases to keep chains lubed. Some brands we don't use this as the inner bearing is open to chain tank and requires good clean oil. 

• Like 1

It was time to change the Hydraulic oil in my Allis 7060. I went with the Shell stuff. Works OK in the warm weather but starts to get pretty thick around zero to 10 degrees F. I have to let it circulate for quite a while before I can run the engine at even 1/2 throttle or the pump cavitates. At -20F it's useless.  

• Like 1
On 2/6/2021 at 6:17 AM, lorenzo said:

On another note,  

I think it can be recycle and fresh additives added.  But the cost makes it not happen.  ?  We also give to friend for his oil furnace in his shop.

I am sure Shell will be just fine.  Not like they are some 2 bit deal and CNH spends millions on engineering  and test.  The new cvt need the much "better" oil.  I cannot imagine a 50 year old farm tractor will suffer with the modern oil.  I am a 100% hytran guy too, it's still going to be high standard than 1970.  Crap the filters are even better quality than the 70s and 80s.  Just don't use the cheap stuff and you'll be perfectly fine.  Same with 15/40 and 30w. The bucket printed CIH on isn't going to add too anything vs a NAME brand oil.  You search a bit and its pretty clear the lower cost engine oils today made by the name brands are significantly better than 30 40 years ago.  Just better processes and Q control.  

Some might find this interesting.  The Cat dealer here says on the older machines running 15/40 engine oil is just fine, IN the hydros.  I understand several new manufactures are doing that as well.  I was surprised when we looked at some late model used loaders by that application for engine oil.  Apparently the lubrication is good and guys want only one oil on the service truck, which make sense.

Its the yellow bucket green slime stuff.  That's the juuuuunk.  Every mechanic of every color agrees to that.  

I will note my 544E trans like HyGuard better than HyTran.  Mech says hytran ultraction is a tick heavier for the heat in the cvt.  JD has a different oil for cvts(?).  Anyways the basic hyguard is thinner, and the old ZF likes it better when its cool.  

Interesting thought there.  Every OEM specs the specific oil for their products.  ZF puts trans in nearly every manufacturer heavy equip but Doosan, Cat, and Komastsu (that I know of) and they all call for their brand of oil.  The trans is the same.  Or Cummins in diff brands.  Deere used to recommend tq guard in their 6950 choppers with N14 Cummins[the big 8 wheelers were N14 too weren't they?].  Same gen Steiger N14 recommend NO 1 CIH.  Same engine....

Ponderous 

• Like 3

I had a black gold/energy logic at my old shop and big thing I found was to filter the used oil 3 times. Poor though funnel at storage tanks, then once thought filter at burner tank(this filter got changed every 500 gallons) and once more going to the burner. I would always clean it before the season started and never have issues. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wi Ih said:

I had a black gold/energy logic at my old shop and big thing I found was to filter the used oil 3 times. Poor though funnel at storage tanks, then once thought filter at burner tank(this filter got changed every 500 gallons) and once more going to the burner. I would always clean it before the season started and never have issues. 

A good friend has a junk yard.  First boiler I ever installed was his energy logic waste oil boiler.  I was over the other day, hour meter has 47,000 hours on the boiler.  

he is looking at replacing it this year.  And he spends way to much time keeping it fed.  But to each his own.  He pumps oil into a first tank, mixes it, lets it sit, pumps it into a second tank to feed the boiler, drains the bottom of both off for water and antifreeze. Changes filters, cleans the crude out of the fire box and moves another pallet of oil in to thaw out.

makes me want to go to wood since it’s less work

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

A good friend has a junk yard.  First boiler I ever installed was his energy logic waste oil boiler.  I was over the other day, hour meter has 47,000 hours on the boiler.  

he is looking at replacing it this year.  And he spends way to much time keeping it fed.  But to each his own.  He pumps oil into a first tank, mixes it, lets it sit, pumps it into a second tank to feed the boiler, drains the bottom of both off for water and antifreeze. Changes filters, cleans the crude out of the fire box and moves another pallet of oil in to thaw out.

makes me want to go to wood since it’s less work

Wood is what I do now. I don’t produce enough oil at my home shop. Oil is a lot of work but they charge to take oil here. 

• Like 1
Just now, Wi Ih said:

Wood is what I do now. I don’t produce enough oil at my home shop. Oil is a lot of work but they charge to take oil here. 

Yep, it’s a ton of time.  But having a junk yard he has a lot of oil, and he has to show he was disposing of it. 

He wants to redo the boiler set up, but I think he should do fuel oil back up. His time is worth something, but you can take the boy out of the junk yard, but you can’t take the junk yard out of the man.  We will be re-using parts and installing used equipment.  Oh well. 

• Like 1

I was indicated that the new hytran was going to be a better price ..... time will tell.

I can't believe that the original hytran wouldn't burn . I burn some waste oil on top of wood in an outside stove . Going to set up a boiler at the shop . My cousin has some used stuff we are going to convert to a waste oil setup