Cutting 2 inch plate

mader656

I use cutting wheel much less than I used to. That thick I would hate to use cutting wheel . Our demo saw is rarely used . Is this to scrap or make a snow plow for the Michigan ? 

Any chance that a diamond edge cutting wheel would do. I have cut 2" hardened shaft with one and they wear really well but to be clear I don't know about using one for what you are doing. I used a 4" diamond to cut up a 10' steel flatbed last year along with a lot of other projects and that wheel is still alive it cost around 22 dollars the 14 " was 140 I think

Clamp or tack on a piece of angle iron to use as a guide to cut straight. Extremely smooth movement and the correct tip size and pressure and it can look suprisingly good with a torch 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bitty said:

I use cutting wheel much less than I used to. That thick I would hate to use cutting wheel . Our demo saw is rarely used . Is this to scrap or make a snow plow for the Michigan ? 

I bought a parts genie boom ($700) for the slew pump and a few other parts for my post driver 2.0 and the 5'x5' x2" plate I'll get pictures tomorrow It all rides on needs to loose weight and size. 

7 minutes ago, mader656 said:

I bought a parts genie boom ($700) for the slew pump and a few other parts for my post driver 2.0 and the 5'x5' x2" plate I'll get pictures tomorrow It all rides on needs to loose weight and size. 

If your gas axing off parts to lighten her up, and can dress up afterwards (you don’t need to weld to the cut) definitely use a torch.
There is a reason that after all these years and so many new processes and inventions it’s still in every shop 

• Like 1

Upon further Googling I might be able to pull the whole 2 inch plate and bolt a one inch plate in its place that is shaped like a really need it.

Time will tell tomorrow

i would use a straight edge. good no. 3 tip in torch set gauges at 50 psi oxy. 3 psi. acy.  keep the cone flame just off of steel plate. used to cut a lot of thick plate for motor bases. with a little practice and patience will be little to no slag to chip off and very little grinding to clean

15 hours ago, KWRB said:

What in the world was that? Naval armor plating?

On a lime kiln the steel rings (tires) that the drum rotates on need to be replaced every 10 years or so we cut them into three parts and lift them off with a crane