16 Bottom 800 IH Plow Question

1480x3

There is a picture of a 16 bottom 800 on page 2 of the ' "IH Memes" topic.  Within 25 mile of my house i could probly find close to twenty 10 or 12 bottom 800s.  But I have never seen a 16 bottom except pictures. Just curios, anybody got one or know of one ?  What did they pull them with, Versatile 1150, Stieger Tiger ?  Lots of new power to pull em with but I'm talking back when the plow was new.

A 4786 would have pulled one around here.  806/856 pulled 6 btm, 4020 mostly 5 but some 6, 1206, 1256, 1066 pulled 7.  But there are no known 16 btms around so just figured where there was 16 btms they might need something a little "stouter" than a 4786

9 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

A 4786 would have pulled one around here.  806/856 pulled 6 btm, 4020 mostly 5 but some 6, 1206, 1256, 1066 pulled 7.  But there are no known 16 btms around so just figured where there was 16 btms they might need something a little "stouter" than a 4786

The land gets heavier as you go East from us. Certain areas used to fall plow a lot. They all had versatile or Steiger tractors on front of their plows. Neighbors also had a ihc 800 hinge 12 bottom they pulled with a 8640, their brother would pull it lightly in the ground with a 8430.

I have seen that 16 bottom at Marks. I believe that they made 2 of the 16 bottoms. This one you are talking about came out of Saskatchewan  Can. He has pulled it with the quad620. They didn't  have that kinda hp when it was built. It's  only got the second set of shares since new according to as it goes. Good lookin though and tight.

We have three 9-18s 800 plows and in heavy clay they are a load. I’d hate to have enough hp hooked to pull 12-16 bottoms  with the frames they have. Doesn’t look any different from 9-16 bottom just longer. Hinge area would be suspect to failure at much over 400 hp. Just my observation but I deal with heavy heavy clay. 

9 minutes ago, Cool1566 said:

We have three 9-18s 800 plows and in heavy clay they are a load. I’d hate to have enough hp hooked to pull 12-16 bottoms  with the frames they have. Doesn’t look any different from 9-16 bottom just longer. Hinge area would be suspect to failure at much over 400 hp. Just my observation but I deal with heavy heavy clay. 

Usually the death of the hinge area is an operator with no common sense that tries to plow around corners or tries to make the headland turn, before plow is out of the ground.  The tail also gets moving fast when turning.   We have neighbors that have done this and end up with half a plow in the field!!

We have what started as a 9-18 model 800 plow. Previous owner cut one bottom off the back :(

his 8640 couldn't quite pull it . We use a 8950 or MX 270 even but rarely use it at all anymore

I'd love to see (another) pic of the 16 bottom.

Guys I worked for had a 9/18 and an 11/18.  At the time pulled with green 9420s.

Can't believe some of you guys can pull a 6 bottom with an 856!  Must be light ground.  In some of our hills a 1566 could struggle with a 710 in-furrow 5/18.  Uncles later bought an on-land Case 6/20 to run behind a green 8430 4x4 but that didn't seem great either.  I bet they haven't moldboarded anything in years.

1 hour ago, 5088 said:

Can't believe some of you guys can pull a 6 bottom with an 856!  Must be light ground.  In some of our hills a 1566 could struggle with a 710 in-furrow 5/18.  

years ago a guy near here on light sand ground pulled 5x15 with a 560

sawa 16 bottom Salford a dealer by Albert Lea MN. ...paced it off and i figured it was close to 85' long

3 hours ago, nate said:

Usually the death of the hinge area is an operator with no common sense that tries to plow around corners or tries to make the headland turn, before plow is out of the ground.  The tail also gets moving fast when turning.   We have neighbors that have done this and end up with half a plow in the field!!

Like this?F0A610D2-5436-45A0-8FAB-C581E0966358.thumb.jpeg.c20e99f3053f9a852fcc53f272a36231.jpeg

• Sad 1

I have a IH film from 1976 of a 4568 with a 12 bottom 800 plow

On 2/4/2021 at 6:40 PM, 1480x3 said:

There is a picture of a 16 bottom 800 on page 2 of the ' "IH Memes" topic.  Within 25 mile of my house i could probly find close to twenty 10 or 12 bottom 800s.  But I have never seen a 16 bottom except pictures. Just curios, anybody got one or know of one ?  What did they pull them with, Versatile 1150, Stieger Tiger ?  Lots of new power to pull em with but I'm talking back when the plow was new.

Close to twenty?! Wow. Are any of them still in use (keeping in mind plowing isn’t #1 tillage choice anymore)

6 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

I have a IH film from 1976 of a 4568 with a 12 bottom 800 plow

Close to twenty?! Wow. Are any of them still in use (keeping in mind plowing isn’t #1 tillage choice anymore)

Seed corn

I helped a guy in the 80s that had a 10btm behind a Versatile 850 and a 12btm behind a Stieger, can't recall for sure but think it was a Panther. I do remember it was 360 HP.  I plowed with both of them when i helped him. There was 2 other times i went a few rounds with 12btm 800s. Once at an IH field demo day with a 45 or 47.  Another time a big dairy had sold out the dairy stuff and a couple yrs later i was at my local deere dealer and the parts guy said the ex-dairy farm still had most of a skid of 5ft net wrap they probly would sell on the cheap. Parts guy called em for me and "Bob", don't recall real name, could meet me at the farm in half an hour with a fork lift if I was interested. Got there, negotiated price on net wrap. They had an employee plowing on that farm with a Cat 75 and 12btm 800. As negotiations wound down i told "Bob" i'd give him the check but i also wanted to run that Cat a few rounds. We loaded the net, i gave him a check, and he got on his 2-way and told the operator to ride a round with me for any questions then eat some lunch while i took it a little bit.  Had run several articulates including 2+2s, the Cat didn't feel quite like anything i'd ran before. Took a couple rounds to get onto the steering. A lot of correcting, or should i say overcorrecting on that 1st round. 

Were quite a few 10 bottom 800's around here, not many used anymore. Neighbor has 2 10 bottom 800's that were going to the crusher this winter, friend and fellow board member made deal to save them.

• Like 1

12 bottom Salford being run by easy Bob during one our visits.

DSC03092.JPG

• Like 2

Remember several 11 & 12-bottom 800 plows in this country back in the late 1970s...but never seen anything bigger other than in IH advertisements. IIRC, the 14/16 bottom 800s came out in the late 1970s. By that time plowing was greatly reduced around here as farms were getting bigger and plows wouldn't cover enough ground fast enough for those guys.

We didn't plow as deep around here as most places probably did. Used to be a guy around here that plowed with a 12-bottom 800 behind a IH 4366(just like the setup that IH had at all the state fairs and farm shows in the mid-1970s for advertising purposes).  The 4366 definitely had a full load pulling that plow, but the guy used that setup for many years without any major problems that I know of. Our neighbor had a 6-bottom and 5-bottom IH 700 plow married together for 11 bottoms that he pulled behind a 3588 2+2 for a few years. The 2+2 could pull it in Low 3 with the TA ahead all day long.

• Like 1

we are with in 40 miles of the old hinsdale research farm, back in the day when the 800 flex frame was first developed ,i seen a 16/18" pulled bya 4568  lots of engineers playing with it. this was on a neighboring farm . cann;t remenber what yr

• Like 1

There is one that I mentioned at Dennis grain in Huntington In. Ca.e out of Canada  from a sale that also had a 7388 and a 7788 both with serial numbers #501. The tractors went to Minot N 

CHRIS. WE ARE RUNNING THREE OF THE Salford 12 bottoms now. Still ha e 2 9 bottom and a 10 bottom 800s. We plowed right at 5400 acres this last fall. Pull the 12s with 

865 cats. All seed corn ground. Seed ground gets pretty well abused just alittle bit. Like on the ground 14-16 times between planting and harvest no matter what the weather is. FTER GER.INATION, YOU GO BY HEAT UNITS and has to happen.

Bob, a couple more pictures from last time we were out.

Plow days 2012 119.JPG

Plow days 2012 116.JPG

Plow days 2012 117.JPG

DSC03091.JPG

• Like 2